Just back from Dream Holiday

Have just returned from 2 weeks on the Dream. We had an excellent time and would go on her again.

We had a 2 hour delay on our flight out and had to wait nearly an hour to get our luggage at Palma and had a 2 hour delay coming home due to air traffic control in France.

When we arrived on the ship, lots of the corridors and stairwells had a horrible smell in them but this only lasted a couple of days, carpets all over the ship had stains on them. On the second day on board while in bed we got a bad whiff it didn’t last long on leaving our cabin we saw they we working on the pipes in the corridor and the corridor smelt but later the smell had gone.

The captain made an announcement on Gala night after the staff had been introduced about the problems and said they were working hard to get it sorted and were on top of them now, we also got a letter through our door about the problems. (I have this if anyone wants to look at it)

There are still a few problems in some areas of the ship, we were in an outside plus cabin on deck 7 (7055) which had plenty of room, we did have problems with hot water on several occasions when this happened we waited until the water was sorted out before having a shower, most nights I never had to use cold water in the shower as it was warm. One evening our toilet wouldn’t flush but by the time I had a shower it was working again. The plug in the sink broke they did send someone but had to go back to reception and explain it was the plug in sink and not plug in bathroom as first time they sent an electrician as they thought it was plug in bathroom. (Dooh) Lots of the public toilets we not working, there was water leaking on deck 9 and in the theatre.

A lot of cabins on deck 7 towards the back of ours had problems with power, toilets one evening. We heard several people complaining and saying the cruise was a nightmare because they had no hot water and was told that it was a brand new ship, ok I can understand they were disappointed because it wasn’t a new ship but I wouldn’t say it was a nightmare just because there was no hot water at times.

On the 4th June one of the engines wouldn’t start when we were leaving Livorno so we ended up leaving about an hour late.

On 7th June left port an hour late as while the captain was doing some checks on the ballast doors the power went down, the captain announced that they were going to do more checks before leaving.

It was my birthday on Gala night on our second week and hubby had asked if we could sit on the captains table, he was told that they couldn’t promised anything but would look into it and get back to him. I didn’t know anything about this until we got the invite. We had a lovely evening there was 8 on the table and we had 6 waiters, the social hostess (Emma) didn’t know it was my birthday until that evening as hubby had spoken to someone else, so she got a cake and the waiters sung Happy Birthday, we also had a group photo taken and every couple were given a copy.

We mainly ate in Orion restaurant it was very good, we had breakfast in Sirens several times, the freshly cooked omelettes were good you could also get bacon, sausages, beans and order toast with it. We always got our own tea and coffee from the machine as what the waiters served wasn’t very hot as it was in jugs.

Afternoon tea in Sirens was great, I lost half a stone before going and have put on nearly a stone. That’s the trouble having so much food available we sometimes had a burger or chips before going to bed.

I took a folder with me and have kept a newsletter and map from every day and postcards in every port. Some ports we did our own thing we did a few excursions.

I must mention again that any problems encountered were in the minority, the positives outweighed the negatives. We would go back on the ship again with no major concerns, but can understand if I was one of the ones who had problems I wouldn’t be as happy. We were worried before we went but now would go back without hesitation.

I won’t go on any more and will post some pictures soon, feel free to ask any questions.

Lisbon will post excursions we did tomorrow.

Groundman we never got to La Goulette as there were gale force winds, port authorities wouldn't let us dock.

One point the ship only sells cigs and drink in the duty free shop when they sail to non EU countries, we managed to get some cigs when we were sailing to La Goulette but when we didn't dock the shop stopped selling them as they were not allowed to sell them in EU countries, we got 400 cigs for £30.

Hi Sue

So glad you had a good time. Sounds like they are sorting out the problems. You didn't miss much with La Goulette.;) We went there with Ocean Village, and Tunis was a dirty hole:( and Carthage wasn't worth seeing compared with Petra and Ephesus:)

We were in cabin 7071, about 4 away from you. They are a good size aren't they?

OH wants to go to Caribbean on Dream next winter, but I'm not sure. Just wonder what it will be like when it is refurbished:confused:

Back to all the washing eh?

Linda:)

Interesting to see that although some of the problems clearly remain you didn't let them spoil your overall holiday experience. Just goes to show that it all comes down to opinions. I have just paid my balance and am really looking forward to another week's cruising!

When we arrived on the ship, lots of the corridors and stairwells had a horrible smell in them but this only lasted a couple of days, carpets all over the ship had stains on them. On the second day on board while in bed we got a bad whiff it didn’t last long on leaving our cabin we saw they we working on the pipes in the corridor and the corridor smelt but later the smell had gone.

Sorry but not good enough

The captain made an announcement on Gala night after the staff had been introduced about the problems and said they were working hard to get it sorted and were on top of them now, we also got a letter through our door about the problems. (I have this if anyone wants to look at it)

Again not good enough.The captain making an announcement and a letter through the door does not get Thomson off the hookThey have been aware of and have been working on these problems since the end of April,nearly two months.Its fairly obvious these issues are major and won`t be rectified until this ship goes in for refurb in October.As it stands passengers are paying a premium for an inferior service

There are still a few problems in some areas of the ship, we were in an outside plus cabin on deck 7 (7055) which had plenty of room, we did have problems with hot water on several occasions when this happened we waited until the water was sorted out before having a shower, most nights I never had to use cold water in the shower as it was warm. One evening our toilet wouldn’t flush but by the time I had a shower it was working again. The plug in the sink broke they did send someone but had to go back to reception and explain it was the plug in sink and not plug in bathroom as first time they sent an electrician as they thought it was plug in bathroom. (Dooh)

That should not be happening

Lots of the public toilets we not working,

Not good enough

A lot of cabins on deck 7 towards the back of ours had problems with power, toilets one evening. We heard several people complaining and saying the cruise was a nightmare because they had no hot water and was told that it was a brand new ship, ok I can understand they were disappointed because it wasn’t a new ship but I wouldn’t say it was a nightmare just because there was no hot water at times.

Sorry but having no hot water etc is cause for complain,its basic needs

Smell,stained carpets,no electricity,no hot water,no flushing toilets,public toilets not in use does sound like a nightmare to me.Personally I pay for the whole package not just for good food,entertainment and port visits which is basically all I can expect from my cruise by the sounds of it

Apologies if I have come across harsh on my first post and for what appears to be me ripping your post to threds but it is not personal.I am just angry that Thomson have sold this ship as the best thing since slice bread and duped customers into booking it when its more like stale bread

Like I said, some people allow things to ruin their holidays and others just get on and enjoy themselves. If I'd wanted to I could have found reason to complain about every holiday I've ever been on; I even found toe nail clippings on the floor of my hotel room once! The issues on the Dream now seem quite minor and Thomson's are definitely sorting them out. The odd smell or damp carpet is not going to spoil my holiday!

I think most, if not all, hotels I've stayed in abroad have occassionally suffered from a lack of hot water at peak times - if everyone wants to shower/shave/whatever at the same time, there's a potential to be unable to meet the demand. It happens, and I plan around it - don't let it affect my holiday.

Also with the smell issue - if they're working on a section of pipe near the cabin, then short-term issues can happen. If it goes on for an extended period, it'd be a problem, but briefly during the day ? Nah - go to the pool/bar/restaurant till its cleared up !

I WAS very concerned initially, and I think the earlier cruisers had serious issues, but it sounds like they're pretty much under control and nothing mentioned in the review here would spoil my holiday in the slightest !!

Now, limited AI provision... different story :D:D

I was also on the Dream last week and i was dissapointed with the ship, but not enough to let it spoil my holiday, and also not enough to put in a complaint to customer service desk like a lot of people where doing. This was my third cruise with Thomson, and i have sailed on the Destiny and the Spirit. I knew this was not a new ship when i booked and reading reviews on here i went with a open mind, a lot of the complaints where from people who thought it was a brand new ship.

There where smells around the corridors, but these seemed to be when the ship was docked and it looked to me like they where sucking the sewage into the trucks on the key side. One of the things i didnt like was the little flies in the bathroom that where coming up from the drains, i dont think that was healthy.

There was a lot of leaks on the ship and i think they are strugling to keep on top of them, and i wonder if these where caused by the accident, or leaking bathrooms because the showers are absaloutly fab and always very hot.

Other posters said the ship broke down the week before, it also broke down on the first day at sea. There was a loud bang and then we floated for about an hour. The captain said that they where in front of schedule so they cut one of the engines.

In my opinion i dont think this ship is as nice as the Destiny, and is also hard to get around the ship. They will be able to refurbish inside but the outside will still look a ugly beast.

I will be supprised if she finishes her summer tour of the med.

There was a lot of leaks on the ship and i think they are strugling to keep on top of them,

Not leaks in the hull, I hope :eek:. That would be cause for concern!

That's an interesting view and would imply the issues are not going to get better. Still a few more weeks before I go but it's worth keeping an eye on the reviews.

Why do you think that Wolvo?If its due to the problems many have highlighted I don`t see why she won`t finish her summer tour as she has been running with these problems since April by accounts.Another three or four months is not going to be of any difference.The potential costs to Thomsons of cancelling passengers trips in peak time will see this ship finish its summer tour by hook or by crook

The reason i have said that because the water leaks are not getting better, and also she is now starting to get engine trouble.

Do Thomson cancel a week or two cruising and fix the problems, or do they carry on and hope the complaints are kept to a minimum and that they dont loose future cruisers.

I must admit i think there are a lot of people trying to get compensation back and exagirating storys.

The reason i have said that because the water leaks are not getting better, and also she is now starting to get engine trouble.

Do Thomson cancel a week or two cruising and fix the problems, or do they carry on and hope the complaints are kept to a minimum and that they dont loose future cruisers.

I must admit i think there are a lot of people trying to get compensation back and exagirating storys.

If she is getting engine trouble then you may have a point, although I haven't heard many stories to that effect. And are the leaks getting worse? Recent reviews seem to suggets otherwise.

I'm not surprised that there are people who are exagerating some of the problems in order claim compensation, though. That's a sad reflection of the time we live in, unfortunately.

I thought the engines were (one of them at least had problems) standing at the back watching the swell it was easy to spot one was working less than the other even as the captain said most hops were at 17 knotts,We did a big circle before stopping with the engine prob.

We were in cabin 6103 which had bad vibration problems also lots of rattles, I kept on tapping the panelling this solved the problem for a short time.

I also noticed on one occasion lots of soot came out of the funnel and coverd a deck area.

At the front in the evening in the stairs area there was allways a smell of burning rubber,nothing was on fire but it did smell of burning tyres....nothing to do with the chefs, the food was not burnt !!

Steve

I thought the engines were (one of them at least had problems) standing at the back watching the swell it was easy to spot one was working less than the other even as the captain said most hops were at 17 knotts,We did a big circle before stopping with the engine prob.

We were in cabin 6103 which had bad vibration problems also lots of rattles, I kept on tapping the panelling this solved the problem for a short time.

I also noticed on one occasion lots of soot came out of the funnel and coverd a deck area.

At the front in the evening in the stairs area there was allways a smell of burning rubber,nothing was on fire but it did smell of burning tyres....nothing to do with the chefs, the food was not burnt !!

Steve

We where in cabin 6095 and had the same vibration noise. We found ours to be the TV rattling against the wall so we had to put a magazine between TV and wall.

Steve, did you hear the noise the cabin stewards where making on the last night when they where collecting the cases.

If one engine has problems maintaining the cruise schedule will require more power from the other. In this case with one engine at maximum revs it is not surprising that there are vibration problems.

IIRC I did think the stern web cam on the voyage from Sharm to Palermo dry dock showed the engines at different speed. This may be just my imagination or perhaps there are engine problems and hence the need for a 6 week dry dock.

Slightly bent prop shaft maybe :eek:

We where in cabin 6095 and had the same vibration noise. We found ours to be the TV rattling against the wall so we had to put a magazine between TV and wall.

Steve, did you hear the noise the cabin stewards where making on the last night when they where collecting the cases.

funny you say that on our last night at around 3am they smashed a glass mirror on the wall they had that much luggage on the trolley that they couldnt keep control,6th floor 1st june!!

It seems a supply of items that can be used as wedges to stop rattles is going to be added to my packing list.

On Celebration I found a pound coin perfect for silencing the safe and 1 euro just right for the cabin door. I did not go as far as dismantling the ceiling panels but did notice that a lot of the noise seems to come from the air conditioning vent.

Question, given that cabins are located in the same area of the ship are inside cabins quieter than outside?

Yes the luggage chaps were making a lot of noise, the wife was going to get out of bed to shout at them !!

Our T.V had a gap and was not against the wardrobe, those light strips each side of the mirror and the paneliing were the worst.

Steve

I think most, if not all, hotels I've stayed in abroad have occassionally suffered from a lack of hot water at peak times - if everyone wants to shower/shave/whatever at the same time, there's a potential to be unable to meet the demand. It happens, and I plan around it - don't let it affect my holiday.

Also with the smell issue - if they're working on a section of pipe near the cabin, then short-term issues can happen. If it goes on for an extended period, it'd be a problem, but briefly during the day ? Nah - go to the pool/bar/restaurant till its cleared up !

I WAS very concerned initially, and I think the earlier cruisers had serious issues, but it sounds like they're pretty much under control and nothing mentioned in the review here would spoil my holiday in the slightest !!

Now, limited AI provision... different story :D:D

On this ship 1 to 8 June and pretty much agree with Gemini. There are problems. There were many rumours on 2nd June about the loud bang. We were in very choppy seas (force 8) when this happened and the ship was going a fair pace and then slowed down. We also had a power failure on the 7th which resulted in one of the air con coolers breaking down. We baked that night in our cabin and were on deck 11 before 5 a.m. Otherwise we had no problems and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. ;)

Ai package is more or less the same as last year on Celebration. Baileys and Southern Comfort not included. John Smiths Smooth, Strongbow and Heinekin. Good choice of spiritis and wine. Also nice coffees and cocktails.:)

Interestingly when I was checking out prices for June 2011 Thomson are no longer offering free Ai for early bookers - £169 per person per week!:(

Pam

On this ship 1 to 8 June and pretty much agree with Gemini. There are problems. There were many rumours on 2nd June about the loud bang. We were in very choppy seas (force 8) when this happened and the ship was going a fair pace and then slowed down. We also had a power failure on the 7th which resulted in one of the air con coolers breaking down. We baked that night in our cabin and were on deck 11 before 5 a.m. Otherwise we had no problems and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. ;)

Ai package is more or less the same as last year on Celebration. Baileys and Southern Comfort not included. John Smiths Smooth, Strongbow and Heinekin. Good choice of spiritis and wine. Also nice coffees and cocktails.:)

Interestingly when I was checking out prices for June 2011 Thomson are no longer offering free Ai for early bookers - £169 per person per week!:(

Pam

Pam,

can you remember if the AI gin was Bombay Sapphire?

Thanks

Archived