Just back from Dream Holiday

Thanks for all the info. I was so worried. We are taking my parents on the dream on 29th June. My dad has a heart condition and is quite immobile.. can walk short distances. Do you think he will manage?? He has a cabin on the pool deck beside the lift? Any advice welcomed... He still may cancel

I'd say don't cancel, not at this short notice. You'd lose most of your money !

Lot of the problems now seem to be niggles, rather than serious faults.

We're sailing the week after you, and are desparate to get on board !

Lisbon

Villefranche caught the train into Monaco and Monte Carlo 5 euros return, before you leave the station go to the information area and get a map.

In Livorno we did the ships excursion Easy Pisa which cost £37 each ( 4 hours), depending where the ship docks you could have to pay to get to the port entrance which was 5 euros each way.

In Civitavecchia we did a ships excursion Rome on your own which cost £38 each, we were going to go on our own but was worried about getting back on time, this way you can do your own thing in Rome and have more time.

In Ajaccio we went on the Petite train (long route) which lasted an hour and a half, there were 2 short stops so you could take photos, cant remember the cost but it wasn't expensive. After that we strolled round Ajaccio which was lovely would like to go back there.

In Palamos there was a free bus to the town centre, we just had a walk round the town.

In Palma we walked to the station and went on the Soller train, we spent most of the day there.

Didn't stop in La Goulette as there were gall force winds

In Naples as we didn't stop in La Goulette we went straight to Naples and had an overnight stop there and was allowed to go ashore, one guy had his Rolex watch taken from his arm and was pushed to the ground, someone else had 600 euros taken from there pocket god knows why he was carrying that much money with him.

We did a ships excursion to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast which cost £53 each, which was lovely, if you go on this or another trip to the Amalfi coast to see anything you need to sit on the right hand side of the coach.

In Olbia we just walked round the town, very expensive shops.

In Toulon we went on the cable car (Telepherique De Mont Faron) cost 13.20 euros return, great views over the town, there is a museum and zoo there as well but we didn't go in.We found it a bit hard to find but the map we had wasn't very good, and didn't show the exact location, it was very easy to get back from there, there is an under pass across the railway line which we didn't know about on the way there.

In Barcelona you had to pay for bus to port entrance this was 3 euros return, we walked up La Rambles and caught the metro to Park Guell then walked to the Cathedral, queues to long so didn't go inside, caught the metro to the Gothic quarter and just walked around.

Groundsman

AI is great, most things include now, see above for Naples, didn't stop in La Goulette as gail force winds.

Sineadparkesrs

There were quite a few people in wheel chairs and walking difficulties that were fine, the lifts are a bit slow, we always took the stairs. Staff were always very helpful so your dad should be fine. A guy with a wheel chair was helped on the tender boat in Villefranche (he had to walk from the gang plank into the boat)

I have a folder with every cruise news and town map and also the excursion guides for both weeks if you need any other information.

Sue

Thanks for all the info. I was so worried. We are taking my parents on the dream on 29th June. My dad has a heart condition and is quite immobile.. can walk short distances. Do you think he will manage?? He has a cabin on the pool deck beside the lift? Any advice welcomed... He still may cancel

Have you taken into account Palma airport? The walk between the arrival gate and baggage area can be very long although there are moving walkways to help. You can arrange with Thomsons in advance for assistance at the airport which might help if your dad does not mind being pushed in a wheechair. (surprise him maybe).

Lisbon

Villefranche caught the train into Monaco and Monte Carlo 5 euros return, before you leave the station go to the information area and get a map.

In Livorno we did the ships excursion Easy Pisa which cost £37 each ( 4 hours), depending where the ship docks you could have to pay to get to the port entrance which was 5 euros each way.

In Civitavecchia we did a ships excursion Rome on your own which cost £38 each, we were going to go on our own but was worried about getting back on time, this way you can do your own thing in Rome and have more time.

In Ajaccio we went on the Petite train (long route) which lasted an hour and a half, there were 2 short stops so you could take photos, cant remember the cost but it wasn't expensive. After that we strolled round Ajaccio which was lovely would like to go back there.

In Palamos there was a free bus to the town centre, we just had a walk round the town.

In Palma we walked to the station and went on the Soller train, we spent most of the day there.

In Naples as we didn't stop in La Goulette we went straight to Naples and had an overnight stop there and was allowed to go ashore, one guy had his Rolex watch taken from his arm and was pushed to the ground, someone else had 600 euros taken from there pocket god knows why he was carrying that much money with him.

We did a ships excursion to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast which cost £53 each, which was lovely, if you go on this or another trip to the Amalfi coast to see anything you need to sit on the right hand side of the coach.

In Toulon we went on the cable car (Telepherique De Mont Faron) cost 13.20 euros return, great views over the town, there is a museum and zoo there as well but we didn't go in.We found it a bit hard to find but the map we had wasn't very good, and didn't show the exact location, it was very easy to get back from there, there is an under pass across the railway line which we didn't know about on the way there.

In Barcelona you had to pay for bus to port entrance this was 3 euros return, we walked up La Rambles and caught the metro to Park Guell then walked to the Cathedral, queues to long so didn't go inside, caught the metro to the Gothic quarter and just walked around.

Groundsman

AI is great, most things include now, see above for Naples, didn't stop in La Goulette as gail force winds.

Sineadparkesrs

There were quite a few people in wheel chairs and walking difficulties that were fine, the lifts are a bit slow, we always took the stairs. Staff were always very helpful so your dad should be fine. A guy with a wheel chair was helped on the tender boat in Villefranche (he had to walk from the gang plank into the boat)

I have a folder with every cruise news and town map and also the excursion guides for both weeks if you need any other information.

Sue

We are going on the dream 2 weeks tomorrow....would you mind perhaps uploading some of your cruise news and town maps......thanks

On this ship 1 to 8 June and pretty much agree with Gemini. There are problems. There were many rumours on 2nd June about the loud bang. We were in very choppy seas (force 8) when this happened and the ship was going a fair pace and then slowed down. We also had a power failure on the 7th which resulted in one of the air con coolers breaking down. We baked that night in our cabin and were on deck 11 before 5 a.m. Otherwise we had no problems and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. ;)

Ai package is more or less the same as last year on Celebration. Baileys and Southern Comfort not included. John Smiths Smooth, Strongbow and Heinekin. Good choice of spiritis and wine. Also nice coffees and cocktails.:)

Interestingly when I was checking out prices for June 2011 Thomson are no longer offering free Ai for early bookers - £169 per person per week!:(

Pam

Regarding the AI for early bookers, when on the Dream last week, on the notice board outside the customer service desk there where a couple of sheets of paper advertising cruised for 2011 on other thomson ships. It said on these notices that there where Free AI upgrades on these cruises but only if you book on board during our cruise. We asked the customer services for details and they photo copied the sheets for us but when i asked them about booking the cruises they said that they didnt do that you have to go to the Travel Agent.

Regarding the AI for early bookers, when on the Dream last week, on the notice board outside the customer service desk there where a couple of sheets of paper advertising cruised for 2011 on other thomson ships. It said on these notices that there where Free AI upgrades on these cruises but only if you book on board during our cruise. We asked the customer services for details and they photo copied the sheets for us but when i asked them about booking the cruises they said that they didnt do that you have to go to the Travel Agent.

I saw a "Future Cruises" sheet including offers. Didn't see any free AI upgrade but there were a couple with reduced prices i.e. £69 - I think that was Red Sea Magic. Other offers had on board credit. There was a cruise on the Dream at the end of of December that offered £100 credit. Didn't enquire about booking though. Last year on the Celebration there was a Futures Desk and cruises could be booked.

I was in our local Thomson shop on Saturday enquiring about cruises and was told that there is no free offer for earler bookers. Whether this is correct is anyone's guess as the TA's seem to be the last to know what is going on!

Witkins

The cruise news would be out of date, its mainly whats going on on board as for maps at present I dont have a scanner so have no way of uploading them, they have them everyday at customer services and the excursions desk.

Lisbon

Groundsman

Sineadparkesrs

Sue

Thanks very much Sue

Archived