Help with Holland America cancellation

JEC3

My daughter has an athletic scholarship to college and her coach told her yesterday that she is requiring her to go to "summer start" the summer half-mester. Her graduation gift from her 86 yo grandmother was a trip to Alaska on the Oosterdam. It's 31 days to cruise day and we have to cancel. HA is stating that they will refund only 50% (she took out insurance through AAA, but that only includes cancellations pertaining to health). I tried to have HA re-issue the ticket for a future cruise but they say that is a "cancellation and a rebooking". HELP!!!

Wow, I wish I could help you with a good answer and I am sorry that this has happened to your daughter's Alaska cruise plans.

I couldn't tell from your post if your daughter also had HAL-issued insurance.

The best advice I can give you is to re-post your question over on the Holland America Line board within the "Cruise Line" forums section here on CruiseCritic. There are a lot of very experienced HAL cruisers over there who may not check this particular forum, and who can probably give you suggestions or share their experiences with similar situations. Good luck!

Yes, after a certain point, cruise bookings have a cancellation penalty, and a change in dates is considered a cancellation, even if you book another cruise.

The insurance won't help since most 3rd-party policies do not include a Cancel For any Reason rider unless you pay extra.

SirWired

Whatever you do, make up your mind quickly; the penalty probably increases again to 75% at 30 days prior to sailing.

If you don't want to lose 50% entirely, I would recommend finding a friend to go on the cruise with you. (You can't go alone, as that usually involves a 75-100% Single Supplement.)

I was entertaining the thought that a Cancel for Work Reasons claim (if applicable to your policy) could get the job done, but the NCAA is VERY strict about making sure athletes are not classified as employees, no matter how much the scholarship is for.

SirWired

So sorry to hear that your daughter didn't know about her required attendance at college before you hit the penalty phrase for cancelling her cruise. Unfortunately it is HALS policy. Most cruiselines have become very strick on following their own policies when it comes to cancellations. Just be sure you cancel before you hit that 28th day or you'll be hit with a 75% cancellation fee. Here's HALS cancellation policy from their website:

Cancellation Policies

For most cruises and cruisetours, a refund (except for amounts paid for Cancellation Protection Plan) will be made for written cancellations received by Holland America, 300 Elliott Ave. West, Seattle, WA 98119 at least 76 days before the date on which you are to commence travel (by air, rail, sea or otherwise). Passengers who cancel after that date for any reason, including medical or family reasons, are subject to the following per-person cancellation fees:

75-57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement

56-29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare

28-16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare

For certain cruises and cruisetours, different cancellation policies apply. Please consult the brochure for your cruise or cruisetour to confirm the applicable cancellation policy. Cancellation fees apply to the entire cruise booking, including cruise fare, non-commissionable fare, air add-ons, ground transfers, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel and tour packages.

Given that the resale of cancelled space will likely result in a lost opportunity to sell other space, these fees are due regardless of resale. Fees incurred as a result of cancellation cannot be applied to future bookings. Refunds will normally be made to your travel agent. Travel agents may impose their own cancellation fees. Agency fees of any nature are a matter to be decided on solely by the agency and passengers.

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America and may not always be possible. Cruise and Cruisetour Contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

updated 04/10

Archived