Sitka for Non-Fisherwomen

Diane In TN

Headed to Sitka in about 10 days -- we're scheduled to be in port from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., so a good chunk of time. The men in the family will be salmon fishing from 12:30-4:15 (already booked), but the rest of the day is open.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to spend the non-fishing parts of the day? My 21-year-old daughter and I will be on our own during the afternoon, and the whole family has the morning to explore (husband, and sons ages 15 and 18.) Daughter and I could tender back to the ship for lunch (saving $$), but how often do those tenders run? Would we waste a lot of precious time that way?

Also, the totem park and raptor center (as well as hikes around that area) sound good, but I don't know how much time to allot for that. Could we all explore that in the morning, and the guys still have time for a bite to eat before they get on the ship? Or should we do something else -- ?? -- in the morning together, and then daughter and I explore Totems and birds in the afternoon. I'd love the history and buildings (so would husband), but not sure the kids would be as fascinated.

Ideas welcomed --

Diane

The totems are at Sitka National Park, pick up a totem guide for more information as you walk the mile loop trail. May be ranger programs also to consider, and their used to be a movie. You can then walk to/from the Raptor Center, need at least an hour. I would alot both with 4 hours.

Me, I wouldn't waste my time, going back and forth to the ship for lunch. :) Request/copy their visitor guide http://www.sitka.org

Thanks for the time estimate, Budget Queen!

So if we get an early tender, we might be in Sitka by 8:45 or so and need to be back to meet the fishing folks at 12:30. The whole family could walk up to the Sitka National Park, watch the movie, see the totems and get up to the Raptor Center and back?

Which leaves from 12:30-4 or so for my daughter and I to have lunch and explore the rest of Sitka. Maybe see a dance performance, visit the church? Does sound like the best use of time? Suggestion for lunch -- authentic, not touristy is important.

Well, to me the main attraction of Sitka is the sea otters. I would sincerely recommend you do a Sea Otter search while the guys are fishing. That would leave you the afternoon for the New Archangel Dancers and a trip around the city. Honestly, a ship's excursion is the easy and convenient way to do that.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

and

http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived