Wine Package????????

scapino

We got the wine package on our May cruise on Legend. If memory serves, there were actually three tiers and we got the mid-price batch. The wines were all very drinkable.

After dinner if there was wine left, our waiter would either recork the wine and hold it for the next night or we could take it back to the cabin if we wished.

They also honored the wine coupons in the steakhouse, and I believe they could also be redeemed at any of the bars on board.

We'll do this again when we cruise in December. For us the wine package was a no-brainer.

We got the wine package on our May cruise on Legend. If memory serves, there were actually three tiers and we got the mid-price batch. The wines were all very drinkable.

After dinner if there was wine left, our waiter would either recork the wine and hold it for the next night or we could take it back to the cabin if we wished.

They also honored the wine coupons in the steakhouse, and I believe they could also be redeemed at any of the bars on board.

We'll do this again when we cruise in December. For us the wine package was a no-brainer.

3 catgories?! I thought there were only 2. Does anyone have the updated lists of wines for each package?

This is our first cruise...so, please forgive me.

The wine package is only good for the dining room, right?

Can we have wine in our room?

Since it's your first cruise, just think of New Orleans. YOu can carry drinks anywhere on the ship, they will hold your wine for you and they will retrieve from any dining area or you can carry the bottle with you wherever you go.

3 catgories?! I thought there were only 2. Does anyone have the updated lists of wines for each package?

Bon voyage has a larger list, and you can pick any of them and mix and match any price, and they are delivered to your cabin to enjoy anywhere.

:D

Bon voyage has a larger list, and you can pick any of them and mix and match any price, and they are delivered to your cabin to enjoy anywhere.

We usually order a bottle for the room from BV, but we usually get the wine package in the dining room so we don't have to worry about bringing a bottle with us. We have tasted the wines on the previous 2 available packages, and I was curious to see which they took away or added so that there are now 3 categories of wine packages to choose from. ;)

We usually order a bottle for the room from BV, but we usually get the wine package in the dining room so we don't have to worry about bringing a bottle with us. We have tasted the wines on the previous 2 available packages, and I was curious to see which they took away or added so that there are now 3 categories of wine packages to choose from. ;)

We could only find 1 or 2 bottles in each package that we liked, and didn't want the same thing every night.

The BV list had so many more choices, it worked better for us.

It was a couple years ago (Feb 2008) on the Legend, but we ordered one 3-bottle and one 5-bottle package for our cruise. We simply picked a bottle or two from the package each evening at dinner. I don't remember anything being in our room and we thought it worked great. Is it different now?

We booked the 15-night Hawaii cruise and I was thinking about a couple wine packages for that cruise. But sure don't want it all delivered to our room.

It was a couple years ago (Feb 2008) on the Legend, but we ordered one 3-bottle and one 5-bottle package for our cruise. We simply picked a bottle or two from the package each evening at dinner. I don't remember anything being in our room and we thought it worked great. Is it different now?

We booked the 15-night Hawaii cruise and I was thinking about a couple wine packages for that cruise. But sure don't want it all delivered to our room.

no it is not different...I think we may have confused some by talking about 2 seperate options. ;)

One is the wine packages. (which you have done)

The other is just ordering wine from Bon Voyage.(this option is delivered to your cabin) :D

• 2 months later...

These are the current wine packages being offered on 7 day sailings:

Wine Package

5 Wines

Leonardini Spumante

Woodbridge White Zinfandel

Terre Palladiane Pinot Grigio

Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc

Santa Carolina Chardonnay

Santa Carolina Merlot

Woodbridge Zinfandel

Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon

Deluxe Wine Package

5 Wines

Korbel, Brut

Beringer White Zinfandel

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay

Wente Vineyard Morning Fog Chardonnay

Folonari Pinot Grigio

Brancott Sauvignon Blanc

Alban St. Pré Vouvray

Rex Goliath Pinot Noir

McGuigan Merlot

Black Opal Shiraz

Fetzer Cabernet Sauvignon

Premium Wine Package

5 Wines

Domaine Chandon, Brut

Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio

Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc

LaBoure-Roi Pouilly-Fuisse

Kendall Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay

Jekel Pinot Noir

Kendall Jackson Merlot

Wolf Blass President Select Shiraz

Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon

Castillo D’Albola Chianti Classico Reserva

The packages (copied and pasted from http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/carnival-wine-packages.aspx):

Carnival Deluxe Package

5 Wines for $104.00: Save up to $31.00 off regular prices. 15% Gratuity will be added.

• Korbel, Brut

• Beringer White Zinfandel

• Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay

• Folonari Pinot Grigio

• Brancott Sauvignon Blanc

• Alban St. Pré Vouvray

• Rex Goliath Pinot Noir

• McGuigan Merlot

• Black Opal Shiraz

• Fetzer Cabernet Sauvignon

• George Duboeuf Beaujolais Village

Carnival Premium Package

5 Wines for $150.00: Save up to $45.00 off regular prices. 15% Gratuity will be added.

• Domaine Chandon, Brut

• Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio

• Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc

• William Fevre Chablis

• Kendall Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay

• Jekel Pinot Noir

• Rutherford Hill Merlot

• Wolf Blass President Select Shiraz

• Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon

• Castillo D’Albola Chianti Classico Reserva

My thoughts (as a professional in the wine industry): Both packages offer a significant savings from the normal restaurant prices of their respective wines. In some cases, the wines on the package would cost almost as much at retail as you'd pay Carnival (especially if you drink the Santa Margarita, which runs $20-$25 per bottle -- it's overpriced, IMO, but that's another story -- in my neck of the woods). In general, the wines on the Deluxe package are ones that run around $8-$10 retail ($30-ish a bottle in a restaurant), and the Premium wines are $13-$25 retail ($35-$50-ish a bottle in a restaurant).

The Deluxe package is mainly geared for people who want nice, straightforward wines with their meal; it's made for Yellow Tail, Black Opal, and Fetzer drinkers. It's got simple, solid wines that are soft (with the exception of the Brancott -- that's a zippy Sauvignon Blanc) and easy-drinking. The Premium package is a bit more adventurous, with wines that have more structure and acidity than their Deluxe counterparts.

Are there any wines on the package that you've got specific questions about? I've had most of these as a part of my job (I've not had the Vouvray and McGuigan Merlot on the Deluxe, or the Chablis on the Premium), so feel free to take advantage of that knowledge!

Hi Cork-Dork,

Have you tried the Wolf Blass President Select Shiraz? I have tried all of the yellow label one of another color (tan or brown or silver or gray-don't remember, the wine was equally forgettable much like the yellow labels).

Also have you tried their Barolo?

Thanks!

BTW: like the name!

[Are there any wines on the package that you've got specific questions about? I've had most of these as a part of my job (I've not had the Vouvray and McGuigan Merlot on the Deluxe, or the Chablis on the Premium), so feel free to take advantage of that knowledge!

I also like a sweeter wine. Like a Moscato or a German Reisling ( the blue botte with the red stripe is all I know. Which would you suggest for me? I do not care for red wines at all, but do like some blushes.

Thank you so much for your help. I was not even aware of these packages.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cork Dork, Thanks for all the information. We are sailing this weekend and I hope you can help. My current favorite is a 2008 Evodia from Spain it is a Garnacha (I think). I also enjoy the occasional glass or 2 of Red Rock. Do you have any suggestions from the "lists" for a semi full to full, smooth finish, not too sweet or too tannin red? Thanks sooooo much! Jonie

Archived