Ever been locked out on your balcony ??

Jen & Rich 2006

We were relaxing on our balcony while docked in Bermuda and our assistant cabin steward came into the cabin to drop off the 4PM cheese and cracker plate, he opened the sliding door to tell us he was in the cabin and chatted for a few with us before closing the door. Well about an hour later we wanted to go inside and were suprised to find the door locked, after 30 minutes or so we spotted someone on the deck below us and asked her to please call the front desk to let us back in. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else.

Jennifer

Unfortunately, yes. :( A few years ago the door accidently locked when we close it, trapping us on the balcony. We were lucky in that we had friends traveling in the next room, and with much yelling we were able to get their attention and hand them the room key which my husband had in a laynard around his neck. They let themselves into our room and "rescued" us. I always check the door now to make sure it is a kind that will not lock if the handle falls. If it is, I leave it open!

Barb

Yes, our neighbors on an M class aft were locked out and thankfully we "rescued" them. Our balcony doors never shut right - we either have to stick a magazine in to get them to close, or we have to worry about them locking when they do close.

That's interesting because on the Equinox you could lock your door from the outside or inside, so if you were outside, you just unlock it. Now if the cabin steward came in and locked the top lock, that would be another story, but he never did.

Yes. Had an aft on the Summit once and the ship's rocking slid it shut!

Took a little while until somone nearby came out onto their balcony and looked our way. They came down and found our room steward to let us in.

It happened to me on The Independence of the Seas. Was sitting on the balcony and my husband said he was going to the gym. About 20 minutes later it got a little cool and I wanted to go inside. The door was locked and absolutely no one was on the their balconies. He came back about 20 minutes later but I can see if you had a little too much to drink and panicked how you could fall overboard.

Archived