How to put shower items within reach for a handicapped person

ms simba

A question regarding how to put shower items within reach. When we were on the Inspiration we did have two bottles in the shower. They were at the other end of the shower stall from where the shower head was. See picture. They had the drawback of being up high for a person that was on the handicapped seat. Also, they were unmarked as to what each one was.

2038035330105385409S425x425Q85.jpg

I am wondering what I could do to have shower items next to the shower head so that they would not be on the floor. See picture of shower head.

2729224750105385409S425x425Q85.jpg

I guess, before the handicapped person actually STARTS to bathe, they should position things as they like them....

Not following your thread of thought. I can't put the shower items on the floor and there is no place to put them alongside the shower head. The holder for the bar of soap doesn't work for my shower items as it is too small.

So where were you thinking?

Not following your thread of thought. I can't put the shower items on the floor and there is no place to put them alongside the shower head. The holder for the bar of soap doesn't work for my shower items as it is too small.

Just ignore the comment. This poster just posts without thought or consideration and will never come back to read here again.

Your concern is a very valid one, so much so that the cruise lines, hotels, etc... should already be addressing it. I work with special needs kids (day job) and have spent years adapting materials, almost anything can be adapted :)

Many people just cannot know until they experience limitations and put life into a different perspective.

Personally I don't think cb was being snarky. I am also a disabled person. I would do exactly that -- position the items in the shower to suit me before I actually went in there to shower: remove the soap and shampoo, if possible (although I usually bring my own), and indeed, put them on the floor of the shower. Lower the adjustable shower head (or take it off the wall entirely -- it's designed to do that -- and lay it on the floor of the shower. Make sure the wash cloths and towels were positioned either on the side grab bars or where I could get them easily. Turn the water on and off -- BEFORE I get in there -- to make sure I know how to adjust it for strength or temperature. And then proceed to shower.

Why CAN'T you put the soap and shampoo on the floor? Sitting on the bench then leaning down to reach it beats trying to get it from the wall behind you! And now that you know where it is..and it is indeed in an inconvenient place -- you could always bring your own from home (which is what I generally do, anyway.)

Personally I don't think cb was being snarky. I am also a disabled person. I would do exactly that -- position the items in the shower to suit me before I actually went in there to shower: remove the soap and shampoo, if possible (although I usually bring my own), and indeed, put them on the floor of the shower. Lower the adjustable shower head (or take it off the wall entirely -- it's designed to do that -- and lay it on the floor of the shower. Make sure the wash cloths and towels were positioned either on the side grab bars or where I could get them easily. Turn the water on and off -- BEFORE I get in there -- to make sure I know how to adjust it for strength or temperature. And then proceed to shower.

Why CAN'T you put the soap and shampoo on the floor? Sitting on the bench then leaning down to reach it beats trying to get it from the wall behind you! And now that you know where it is..and it is indeed in an inconvenient place -- you could always bring your own from home (which is what I generally do, anyway.)

I am glad that you have the mobility to be able to put items on the floor and lean down to get them, I do not due to back problems, arthritis, old age, and other physical issues. I NEED, not want, to have my shower items at a level where I can reach them easily.

I have a little mesh bag with a drawstring that I hang from the faucet in the shower. That has worked for me in a roll in shower.

Very good suggestion! I don't know why I never thought of that! I'd like to blame it on my age but I think I just must have been in the "stupid" category for this one. Thanks for helping me out.

Very good suggestion! I don't know why I never thought of that! I'd like to blame it on my age but I think I just must have been in the "stupid" category for this one. Thanks for helping me out.

I use a 'peg bag' from the clothesline. Have done so for years. Was the best way to have everything within reach when showering at the swmming pool - just hung over the support rail.

A question regarding how to put shower items within reach. When we were on the Inspiration we did have two bottles in the shower. They were at the other end of the shower stall from where the shower head was. See picture. They had the drawback of being up high for a person that was on the handicapped seat. Also, they were unmarked as to what each one was.

2038035330105385409S425x425Q85.jpg

I am wondering what I could do to have shower items next to the shower head so that they would not be on the floor. See picture of shower head.

2729224750105385409S425x425Q85.jpg

Interesting point. Ask your cabin steward for several plastic glasses. Prepump the shampoo etc into these. Unfortunately the floor or your lap may be the only place to rest the cups when you shower.

Carole

Interesting point. Ask your cabin steward for several plastic glasses. Prepump the shampoo etc into these. Unfortunately the floor or your lap may be the only place to rest the cups when you shower.

Carole

You got me to thinking. Maybe there are plastic cups that come with a handle?? or something that would allow me to hook them on the bar in front.

Our experience on Princess ships in H/C cabins has been that there is a soap tray right under the shower controls and a towel rack in easy reach of the shower. However I did have a bit of giggle on the Golden last month, in the cabin we had the grab bar behind the toilet had been installed too low and it made keeping the lid and seat impossible to stay up ...which made it interesting for we males.:)

I don't know how well you can balance on that little shower seat but might I suggest using the toilet seat "with the cover down of course" as a table. I've traveled with someone who used a wheelchair and thats what he does all the time on ships and hotels. The toilet is usually about a foot away as your pictures don't show it I would assume its on the other side of the curtain.

I don't know how well you can balance on that little shower seat but might I suggest using the toilet seat "with the cover down of course" as a table. I've traveled with someone who used a wheelchair and thats what he does all the time on ships and hotels. The toilet is usually about a foot away as your pictures don't show it I would assume its on the other side of the curtain.

I often do this -- laying a towel on the closed toilet, and discarding the towel on the floor along with all the other wet towels, for the steward to remove later. I'll do this for other purposes in the bathroom, too -like when I'm at the sink, brushing my teeth or applying makeup, or whatever.

I've seen small containers for the shower that attach with suction cups. It might be a good option for you as you could attach them where they would be within reach. As for the soap/shampoo, you could either bring your own, or bring a couple of empty bottles and pump them into the bottles.

We had handicapped Cabin M298 on the Inspiration and the toilet was too far away to do this. However, now that I look at the picture, I could always drag the little, tiny brown stand over.

2805291880105385409S425x425Q85.jpg

I've seen small containers for the shower that attach with suction cups. It might be a good option for you as you could attach them where they would be within reach. As for the soap/shampoo, you could either bring your own, or bring a couple of empty bottles and pump them into the bottles.

As it turns out, I have one of those suction cup containers that I have never used. Now all I have to do is find it.

I also liked your suggestion for bringing some empty bottles and fill them with the shower stuff on the wall.

By the way how do you know what is in each bottle on the shower wall? Our cabin had no labels on the bottles.

As it turns out, I have one of those suction cup containers that I have never used. Now all I have to do is find it.

I also liked your suggestion for bringing some empty bottles and fill them with the shower stuff on the wall.

By the way how do you know what is in each bottle on the shower wall? Our cabin had no labels on the bottles.

Ask the steward. Or ask at the front desk.

Archived