PERFECT Personal Carry-on-whats yours?

Those healthy back bags are hard to find in retail stores, we get requests for them once in a while. The only sling bags we carry are, I think, too small to hold much. Just do an internet search for them and some pop up. I have one, but I don't care much for it. The way it zips much of my stuff will fall out of it, so just the interior pockets work well. It's kind of like if you unzipped your purse sideways rather than straight up. (maybe I'm doing it wrong)

Pacsafe has a few items that I think are worth looking at if you want a secure bag. Be aware, most of their bags, other than the backpack and large purse, are smaller than they may appear in photos. The metro safes are very flat and don't expand. The medium sized purse and backpack are what we sell the most of at our store. I like this one the best: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=104

The only sling bags we carry are, I think, too small to hold much.

Pacsafe has a few items that I think are worth looking at if you want a secure bag. Be aware, most of their bags, other than the backpack and large purse, are smaller than they may appear in photos. The metro safes are very flat and don't expand. The medium sized purse and backpack are what we sell the most of at our store. I like this one the best: http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=104

i have a SLING type bag also--they advertised when i got mine as ergonmocially(sp) correct and " good for your back"...its okay but as you say doesnt hold much...

i like the Pacsafe ideas and thought of them, but they dont look like they hold alot either...

its GREAT hearing and seeing all the BAGs and i am surprised that so many of the types that i have...will be ANXIOUS to get my new purchase and see it that will be my PERFECT PERSONAL CARRY-ON:)

THANKS EVERYONE for sharing....keep the BAGs coming...YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY:D

very COOL bag...i put it on my MAYBE list!!!

I did forget that, on the one leg of the trip with EasyJet (only ONE bag allowed as carryon - no exceptions), I put my camera - a Nikon D40 with the 18-200mm lens on it in that bag along with my other goodies AND my purse. So, it is pretty darn cavernous.

For those who want to look at the bag, go to:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/patagonia-lightweight-travel-tote-bag?p=48806-0-739

DivasDare, that is a cool looking bag!

Jan~ Im just taking my Jansport college back pack. I dont want to roll anything. I like it being light weight and even when loaded down,I can just throw it over my shoulder. I know it seems silly compared to all the other more fancy replies. But Im going for the less is more approach. Since its my first time, I dont really know what to put in it,excpept my toiltries,and a change of shirt for dinner the first night. Im also taking a cross body burguny/kinda brown purse too. that way I can just wear everything and not have to roll anything. Just my 2cents.

Sarah

Are you looking for a rolling bag or a large carry tote?

My favorite carry tote is a Vera Bradley weekender: http://www.verabradley.com/product/Category/Totes/Weekender/154813/defaultColor/Night%20and%20Day/pc/638/p/154813/sc/642/c/0.uts

I have other totes, other small rolling bags, but these have proven to be my favorites.

looking for a carry-on....your VB bag is really COOL:cool:

Jan~ Im just taking my Jansport college back pack.

that is COOL too:cool:...i have looked at several of those always wanted one since my name was JAN:D...they have been on my list...the only thing with the backpack is i dont like things behind my back (safety-issue for me) and i dont want to have to carry...i like something i can put over my shoulder...i know backpacks can be like slung half-way...i have carried before-small version...just a bit awkward but if i found the perfect one...i could probably make it work:)maybe this fall when we go to the outdoor/hunt show i can find a COOL one--i never come out of the shows without at least 1 bag...hubby has many also.

Since its my first time, I dont really know what to put in it,

just the opposite with me...other than anything that has to go into my ZIP-LOC i cant think of much i dont want to put in my bag...I NEED MY STUFF:D

I was thinking of getting the same kind of bag, but was told that it would necessary to pack it for the flight, by a fellow cruise mate. She used one and had issues in Germany because the metal cords showed up during the screening process. Please let me know how you managed at the airports.

I love my PacSafe bags. I've never had any trouble with the metal cords at the airports or getting on the ship. I just put it in one of those trays and picked it up at the other end of scanning machine.

I love my PacSafe bags. I've never had any trouble with the metal cords at the airports or getting on the ship. I just put it in one of those trays and picked it up at the other end of scanning machine.

Thanks for your response. I chatted with the cruise mate again and she explained that the incident was a while ago when the bags where relatively new. I will be ordering one!!

I fly carry-on only as often as possible, so I have a 22" rolling bag (that goes up above) and use either my Timbuk2 tote bag (similar to this but different colors- I bought hugely discounted at Sierra Trading POst a few years ago: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/totes/cargo-tote#product=4-30238 Mine is a little bigger, but definitely fits below the seat. I use an Ameribag nylon healthy back sling bag as my purse on most vacations, and it fits inside my tote - while touring, I can fit a goretex raincoat, water bottle, maps & camera in my bag. If I'm travelling with my laptop, I bring a backpack (can't remember the brand, I stole it from my husband;)) because it has a padded section for computers. I buy my Ameribags from Sierra Trading post too. I like the nylon as it's the lightest for travel. Leather look nice but that's too heavy for me to travel with.

For vacations when I must travel VERY light (like Costa Rica last year, where we had a 22kilo limit, 2 bags only, because of our Sansa commuter flights, I have a carry-on from Lands End (discontinued) that has convertible straps (shoulder, messenger, or backpack) and 3 sections. I prefer to roll my larger bag but will use the LE bag because it works for those ultralight trips. It's the size that Rick Steves usually recommends for his 1 bag travel tips/trips.

I will report back when I get the Pacsafe bag. We spent our budget on clothes this month so it has to wait a couple of weeks. Since the trip isn't until September I can wait.

I have read a lot of reviews and have not found one yet where someone had a problem going through security. I would guess that most airports are used to seeing them by now.

The above poster is right regarding the size of the Pacsafe bags. We took a trip to Orlando to check them out at a luggage shop and they are smaller. I would look at the capacity of the bag rather than the picture. The one I want is 15L which is about right for my needs since we will have our larger bag with us as well. I will probably get the small sling purse too just to have something nice to carry if we go out in Venice at night. I need the larger backpack for my Kindle, a shawl to use a blanket on the plane, an inflatable pillow, some snacks and a change of clothes (light weight in a ziplock). I think all that will fit.

We are carrying on all our luggage and my husband and I each bought an Ebags 21-inch rolling bag. They are really nice! Hubby has used his for business travel a few times and loves it. It goes in the overhead compartment very easily and has nice handles. I love the way the bag is organized with pockets and a divider. It also has a guarantee...If anything goes wrong they will fix it..and the price was right for us. I showed it to a friend who travels a lot and can afford more expensive bags and she loved it.

I just hope I can fit everything inside the bag!

I like this..what is the link? I need something for 16 days in Italy in august

like i said i do have ALOT of personal type carry-ons and big totes/ bags etc but still searching for the PERFECT one that i will take EVERY trip...

i just ordered this one last night....i couldnt RESIST the bargain...some of my best BAGs are ones that actually i havent paid alot for;)

If you're looking for super lightweight another line to consider is Kipling. They have a multitude of styles, from small wallets all the way to large rolling duffles. They have computer friendly backpacks, messenger bags, beach totes...you name it. Many colors, we have core colors of black, red, brown and navy and they always have seasonal colors.

The seasonal colors go on sale rather quickly and they don't carry every style in seasonal colors. Some of the colors are too bright/flashy for many but if you can stand a purple print we have some great styles on sale right now. http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=All+Kipling+Styles&dept_id=12158

Kipling is sold worldwide, especially in travel stores. Some major department stores carry a limited amount of small pieces.

My daughter has aquired almost a full set of Kipling luggage since I've worked at the luggage store. It's surprisingly durable, she's checked it in on several flights and it has been on a couple of cruises. I've used one of their small cross body bags for shore days.

Hey Happy, I didn't see any purple bags on clearance. Can you point me in the right direction?

I've tried a bunch of different bags while touring Walt Disney World. On planes DH and I each bring a rolling suitcase that fits in the overhead compartment and a backpack. Usually this is enough room to hold everything and we don't need to check a bag.

For personal bags (either on planes or to carry around) I prefer the Vera Bradley Hipster.

41S-DB8Yl6L._SS500_.jpg

I've tried the Baggallini messenger bag but found it uncomfortably hot where the cross body strap touched my skin.

mes160_1.gif

I've also tried the Overlander. This is a great bag but a little small for our needs. DH is a diabetic so wherever we go we must bring his insulin pump, test strips and lancets. I also like to bring our camera with us everywhere. This bag also had the unfortunate side effect of rubbing and pilling DH's shirt where the cross body strap rubbed. I did not have the problem (could have been DH's shirt material). I might look for a larger version of this bag for our cruise. Or we might just carry a backpack.

f_1302T_2.jpg

We are not all that worried about security although perhaps we should be. To keep a bag zipped up I'll sometimes use a small carabiner that has a twist lock like this one.

1v05fauGO1TkSAqUHKkw0FgCfJboQ22DquIplHhsC-7W-2T8MeNW_95OfdUp-JxXBNKyIHrOT_KbuX3Wr1-7bNzpSC_-aZzZ7gFiz48d0bYGrEXJwgWW3LzuYapHKYPIk8mdzK8NJpOcvHa3mt-_hjP8pAZ6pgwebA

If we check bags we might use a cord tie to keep the zippers closed. If security needs to open our bags they can just cut the plastic tie off.

My personal bag whenever I travel is the Ameribag otherwise known as Healthy Back Bag. Google either, they sell it at some Walmarts, LL Bean and even some hospitals sell them. I bought mine on ebay for $25 about four years ago.

It's sort of kidney shaped and can be worn on your shoulder or across the chest. I have two of the small sized bags and like that they are lightweight and have tons of pockets.

When I was in the luggage biz(before store location closed)- I sold everything from Tumi-Delsey and anything in between. I swear by Kipling . Kipling IS waterproof. My second is Very Bradley. I use Kipling for my carry on tote lightweight underneath the seat and done. I use the hipster as my shore excursion purse.

Alrana

I like this..what is the link? I need something for 16 days in Italy in august

http://www.ebags.com/product/skyway/montage-satchel-bag-closeout/95932?productid=1242793

mine came today...its an OKAY bag i only paid $14.99 ship included but i am not THRILLED with it and probably WONT be the bag i will be taking on my cruise in December...still searching or probably will end up taking ONE i already have and HAVENT tried on a cruise!!

wish i could DESIGN the PERFECT bag for me!!

Bag slut back...

I forgot about Kipling. I bought a nice small Kipling backpack in Cairo at the duty-free shop last year. I just didn't like my choice of bag that I brought for carrying my camera and stuff. One of the ladies I was with had one and, once I saw it at the airport shop, I had to have it. It really does have lots of room. I can put my netbook, Kindle 2, DayRunner, 40oz water bottle, sunglasses, wallet, iTouch, and my nylon shopping bag in it. I don't see the specific one I have (mine has a front zip pocket and 2 bigger zipped full-size compartments), but it looks close to the Challenger.

I use a mini size Jan Sport backpack for all my trips. It is purse sized but acts like a backpack -- goes on back or front or on one strap under the arm. If I want books, etc at seat on plane then I carry a LeSport nylon cloth bag with zipper and stuff the small backpack in the top. As my larger carryon I have a tote bag with wheels. Carrys a ton of stuff and the seat tote bag and the backpack purse all go inside. Sometimes I think that I am a Russian Doll set!

I use a mini size Jan Sport backpack for all my trips. It is purse sized but acts like a backpack -- goes on back or front or on one strap under the arm. If I want books, etc at seat on plane then I carry a LeSport nylon cloth bag with zipper and stuff the small backpack in the top. As my larger carryon I have a tote bag with wheels. Carrys a ton of stuff and the seat tote bag and the backpack purse all go inside. Sometimes I think that I am a Russian Doll set!

Matrishka (sp)...that was CUTE!!! seems i have to much in my TOTE to put another bag in it.....lol....

i TRIAL pack several times with my personal carry-on before the cruise

for my 2 week in December i TRIED 3 bags fully packed before i picked a 4th and packed it the night before we left...wasnt bad, but wasnt THE BAG!!! hubby just got hunting backpacks and they are MORE the BAG but i dont want to be carrying-around anything with a frame or waist belt.....lol.....

Hey Happy, I didn't see any purple bags on clearance. Can you point me in the right direction?

Try a retail location instead of online. We have purple in our store right now.

I have that Baggalini messenger bag you pictured, only in black. I'm not fond of backpacks, so I decided to try it (those employee discounts sure help!). I'm a bit undecided on the bag, it's a little more casual than I really like, I did use it as a purse for checking onto the ship last time we cruised. It does hold quite a bit but I found so many zipper compartments I tend to lose things. I kind of prefer a wide open space and then I organize with different colored cosmetic bags. I do that with my daily use purse as well.

Archived