is the sea rougher in winter?

kimmimom

We are trying to plan a big family trip. My SIL has heard that seas are much rougher in Dec/Jan as opposed to April-Sept.

We would be going either from Charleston to Western Caribbean or out of Jacksonville on Glory also to Western Caribbean; these would both be Jan 2006. One other option is out of Jacksonville to Key West and Bahamas.

So are the seas always rougher in winter or is it more "luck of the draw"

Thanks for your input!:confused:

i have gone at various times of the year, and never noticed rougher water at any time vs. another time. the difference i have noticed is where you go. ie.-atlantic cruising like new york to bermuda will be rougher than a trip that just hops around each night to another island. i have done the western caribbean in january, june, and september and they were all much the same to me.

of course the weather is so much nicer in the winter, spring and fall. hope this helps. seacat66@aol.com

I'm afraid your SIL is incorrect. When you go during the huricane season, which starts June 1 and goes until November 30, even if the huricane is a couple of hundred miles away, the seas can be rough. We always cruise in January/February and we've not found the seas to be rough

Oh great. We are going out of New York to eastern Carribbean.

Gingee, I asked you this on another board, but you probably didn't see it:

>>Gingee, we seem to be paralleling one another! I remembered you from the Legend thread, and I also saw you on the "Arts and Crafts" thread!

We will be taking the Conquest in late July this year. Was it miserably hot? I can't remember if I've seen if you have kids. If so, do you? Do you have any recommendations? Ours are 14 and 15. I'd love to see your pictures.

We will be on the Legend 3/19. Are you on the ship with us?>>

I see from this post that you won't be with us on 3/19, since you'll be coming out of NY. But, I'd be interested to know the answers to the other questions!

Sheila

I'm afraid your SIL is incorrect. When you go during the huricane season, which starts June 1 and goes until November 30, even if the huricane is a couple of hundred miles away, the seas can be rough. We always cruise in January/February and we've not found the seas to be rough

I mostly agree! I would try to avoid peek hurricane season mid Aug - late early Oct. The rest of the hurricane season is less risky for rough seas, but the risk is there. The rest of the year is usually calmer but there is always a chance you will have rough seas anytime of the year.

Archived