Haven't flown since 2000....help!

avp1234

I've done a lot of flying in the past 8 days. Too much! The TSA lines were often going very slowly. Why? Well, some folks just don't seem able to understand the basic rules.

At DFW an entire line had to wait while a large family had to stop and repack much of their stuff they were trying to carry on. The TSA guys provided each family member with a 1 quart, Zip-Loc bag. The process took so long that the family was taken aside to do the repacking and throwing out of illegal items.

Among other things they had many unopened cans of soda which they tried to claim were not liquids. They also had huge tubes of sunscreen and toothpaste. As they had not checked any bags (to avoid the expense of doing that) they had to throw the items away.

I've done a lot of flying in the past 8 days. Too much! The TSA lines were often going very slowly. Why? Well, some folks just don't seem able to understand the basic rules.

Among other things they had many unopened cans of soda which they tried to claim were not liquids. They also had huge tubes of sunscreen and toothpaste. As they had not checked any bags (to avoid the expense of doing that) they had to throw the items away.

Which just proves their "foolishness" in being "cheap" and not checking a bag! They probably will end up spending more on vacation purchasing the stuff that can't be carried on than they would have spent on checking a bag. I guess I'm just "odd". But unless I'm only going for a long weekend, I check a bag and factor in the cost of checked bags into my budget for air fare.

Which just proves their "foolishness" in being "cheap" and not checking a bag! They probably will end up spending more on vacation purchasing the stuff that can't be carried on than they would have spent on checking a bag. I guess I'm just "odd". But unless I'm only going for a long weekend, I check a bag and factor in the cost of checked bags into my budget for air fare.

I have status on AA so I don't pay to check 2 bags. Yet I see the madness of people trying to carry on things that just won't fit in the overhead bins.

Remember if you are seated in a bulkhead row, there is no underseat storage for your use. Everything has to go above. If there isn't enough room, your items will be gate checked.

Some airlines do not tollerate huge purses and consider them to be your ONLY carry on item.

Well, I think a few toiletries will cost well under the $50 or so round-trip baggage fees that most airlines charge.

And I can easily pack a full week's trip into a 21" rollerbag and a personal item.

• 2 months later...

We are travelling US Airways from Canada so our ticket to SJU was not cheap. Sooooooo I am trying to pack just one checked bag for 14 day cruise.

This is what I plan any problem 1 carry on wheelies each and I am going to buy a large purse and my husband will carry a small knapsack. Will that be okay?

Thanks Ontario Cruiser:confused:

It depends on whether or not the luggage meets the size and weight limits listed on your airline's website. They vary a few inches between airlines. Although most airlines don't have size limits for the second, "personal" carry-on item, you may be required to check in the item if it's conspicuously large enough to attract attention at check-in, security, or the gate.

Cabin crew are a key part of an ontime departure, and the aircraft cannot push back from the gate until everything is stowed in the bins (w/ the doors closed), all personal items are safely under the seat, and everyone is seated and buckled up. If your carry-on won't allow the bin door to close it will be quickly taken away and put below decks with checked baggage. I see it happen a lot, and cabin crew usually don't wait for passengers to retrieve items or debate the issue when ontime departure is in jeopardy. So, be sure your items meet the size and weight limits of the airline.

Archived