Closest Car Rental for Halifax?

I know this has probably been talked about but what is the closest rental car place to the pier when we walk off the ship in Halifax? We are coming in on Carribean Princess on Sept 9th. Last year I went to one that was on Grafton street and that was kind of a long walk and cost us some time. they said they would pick us up but could not get thru when we got off the ship so had to walk over there. Would much rather walk to something close even if it costs just a little more. Thanks for any info.:)

According to my research, the closest car rentals are National and Alamo which are in the VIA Rail Station, at 1161 Hollis St, a few minutes walk from the pier. I found National to be less expensive than Alamo. Another option is Enterprise in Scotia Square Mall. They will come pick you up and take you to their office which is a 5-10 minute drive. They are less expensive than National, but then you need to factor in your time.

Hope this answers your questions.

Yes this has been talked about many times. Look at the top of pages for the search function.

Here is a start for you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1123125

And this which I copied to my files from various posts:

There is an Alamo location in the Westin Hotel on Hollis St. The back of the Hotel is across the street from the port and is less than a 5 minute walk. There is a Budget location on Hollis St which would be about a 10 minute walk. Enterprise is much farther away in Scotia Square (a small mall in an office tower) and would be about 20-25 minutes walk, however they may pick you up. Hertz is in the Marriott Hotel on Hollis St about 20 minutes away.

I posted this before seeing the post above!

i was down at the terminal on Sunday and noticed Alamo/National have a "car lock-up" on the port property right across from the cruise port. As other posters noted most companies will probably get your cars to you. I'm 90% of the time an AVIS customer and I'm sure Dan Duggan who owns Avis on Grafton would give good service. Just tell him I sent you.

i was down at the terminal on Sunday and noticed Alamo/National have a "car lock-up" on the port property right across from the cruise port. As other posters noted most companies will probably get your cars to you. I'm 90% of the time an AVIS customer and I'm sure Dan Duggan who owns Avis on Grafton would give good service. Just tell him I sent you.

Actually that is who we used last year and they did a fine job. It was just a long walk from the pier and could not get them to answer the phone to come pick us up. I am sure they were busy answering calls from other cruise passengers. They were very friendly and got us thru quickly once we got there. I would rather find something closer this time to the cruise ship just in case you can't get thru again on the phone. It was probably just a fluke but cost me about an extra 30 minutes.

Actually that is who we used last year and they did a fine job. It was just a long walk from the pier and could not get them to answer the phone to come pick us up. I am sure they were busy answering calls from other cruise passengers. They were very friendly and got us thru quickly once we got there. I would rather find something closer this time to the cruise ship just in case you can't get thru again on the phone. It was probably just a fluke but cost me about an extra 30 minutes.

Hi! Getting ready to finalize a reservation...

Smitty, are you saying that the Avis & National at the Via Rail Station are a long walk from the ship? How long did it take? I thought I read that these were the closest to the port. I think I would feel better walking to pick up/drop off a car then having to depend on someone picking us up & taking us back.

Thanks in advance! :)

Pat

... are you saying that the Avis & National at the Via Rail Station are a long walk from the ship?

Just returned from Halifax. We rented from Budget on Hollis St and it was easy, but it was a 10-15 minute walk from where the Glory was docked. Alamo/National are at the VIA rail station which is right next to the pier. It is hardly any walk at all. These are definitely the most convenient options for cruise passengers.

Hi! Getting ready to finalize a reservation...

Smitty, are you saying that the Avis & National at the Via Rail Station are a long walk from the ship? How long did it take? I thought I read that these were the closest to the port. I think I would feel better walking to pick up/drop off a car then having to depend on someone picking us up & taking us back.

Thanks in advance! :)

Pat

I am pretty sure it was Avis on Grafton Road. I know the rental place was on Grafton. Yes they are nice and got us thru quickly but it was probably a 20 minute walk and uphill part of the way. I am with you though, I would rather walk to the rental car place because when we tried to call them to pick us up I could not get thru, probably cause everybody on the cruise ship was calling when they got to port. I just booked with National on Hollis Street. We are getting a car the size of an Impala and it is $60. Maybe a little less in US dollars. Just slightly higher then some of the other places but from what I have read close to the port. You have unlimited miles. Some of the places charge you if you go over so many miles. We will be there the beginning of September. I would book asap because last year I paid around $70 but I booked only about 3 to 4 weeks ahead. Also, I tried to book a car in St. John last year a few weeks before the cruise and they were sold out. Did not know if you might be renting a car there too.

Happy cruising:)

Hey I live here in Halifax and there's an Enterprise just up the road. The address is on Terminal Road, the phone number is (250) 787-7621. I hope this helps

Hello. I have reserved a rental in Halifax. I'm confused about the gas prices. Can you tell me what the current price per liter is at this time. I only have ten days to go and there are still questions about the conversion of the $. I guess there will be someone to help.

Do the gas stations take credit cards?

Thanks

Hello. I have reserved a rental in Halifax. I'm confused about the gas prices. Can you tell me what the current price per liter is at this time. I only have ten days to go and there are still questions about the conversion of the $. I guess there will be someone to help.

Do the gas stations take credit cards?

Thanks

Today, most stations in Halifax are charging $1.036 per litre in other areas it may be as high as $1.063. http://www.novascotiagasprices.com/ I think the prices change weekly on Fridays, can't remember for sure. I know you are driving in PEI as well, gas prices are about 4 cents cheaper per litre there.

Here's the Bank of Canada currancy rates http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/rates/exchange.html that changes about hourly.

Yes, gas stations will take credit cards, most have the express pay right at the pumps. You will likely be charged a fee by the card company for exchanging to U.S. dollars.

Today, most stations in Halifax are charging $1.036 per litre in other areas it may be as high as $1.063. http://www.novascotiagasprices.com/ I think the prices change weekly on Fridays, can't remember for sure. I know you are driving in PEI as well, gas prices are about 4 cents cheaper per litre there.

Here's the Bank of Canada currancy rates http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/rates/exchange.html that changes about hourly.

Yes, gas stations will take credit cards, most have the express pay right at the pumps. You will likely be charged a fee by the card company for exchanging to U.S. dollars.

It appears the Can$ is slightly worth more. Yes there will be a 3% fee according the Chase. the exchange rate will equal out. Is that correct?

Thanks

It appears the Can$ is slightly worth more. Yes there will be a 3% fee according the Chase. the exchange rate will equal out. Is that correct?

Thanks

Actually, on the 30th, the Canadian dollar is worth less then the USD. 1 USD = 1.0606 Canadian. So if you charged 100 Canadian to your credit card it would be 93.93. USD plus the 3% fee.

Archived