B2B - New York Excursions

snoozy

Hi everyone,

Just over 3 weeks until our back to back transatlantic crossing and we are getting very excited.

I wonder if someone could help with a New York coach only excursion query please.

Last year Paul & I had a wonderful full day in New York on the Cunard excursion. It consisted of a coach trip early in the morning from the QM2 into central Manhatten where we were dropped off to do our own thing. This excursion lasted for approximately 7 hours, giving us plenty of time to do a little shopping, ascend the Empire State Building and become engaged, taxi down to South Street Sea Port for a romantic lunch and back up to the coach for our return to the ship.

This year there seems to be no such trip, just the two which are only 4 hours long, with not much free time. We were looking forward to doing something similar to last year i.e. being left to our own devices for a few hours.

Does anyone know what's happened to the trip that only includes the return coach ride?

Many thanks for your time,

Denise

:)

Hello you could self disembark as you will have no luggage (get of early befores the hordes) then catch a taxi to South street seaport which for us was about $15 from the Brooklyn terminal. If you are going to the Hudson river dock then you are very close to midtown with an even shorter taxi ride. The beauty of New York for us was the ease of moving about town. Have a great trip.

Fred.

We are also on that very back-to-back cruise and as I understand it, Cunard do a return coach service for $40 each. It just takes you in to Manhattan and brings you back again, but I don'y have any more details I'm afraid.

I know that the ship has been docking in Manhattan recently because the terminal at Brooklyn has been damaged, but I don't know if it's been fixed, hopefully it's not !

hansol.... we've given the self disembarkation some thought, but i'm a bit nervous about getting our timings wrong and missing the ship. The reason we decided to take the Cunard trip last year was for peace of mind. Our thinking being that if a coach full were delayed on a Cunard excursion surely they would hold the ship for us???

Cat001, the excursion you mention is the one we went on last year, and we pre-booked from the Cunard website. As far as I can see it doesn't appear for this voyage. I'm wondering if it's been dropped altogether. I hope not, as this excursion is prefectly suited for us.... peace of mind as well as a good amount of free time. If the ship does indeed dock in Manhatten, this could give us more excursion time. It's nice to chat to someone who is going to be on the same voyage as us, Paul's suits are coming out for inspection and cleaning, and I'm still hoping to get a new evening dress. I've noticed on the roll call thread a meet in the Commodore Club 1st full sailing day at 2.30pm. Paul will be the gent with the Pina Colada and I'll be sipping a G & T :).

Brooklyn's landing pier is already repaired so sadly you won't be docking in Manhattan. As I understand it, the ship arranges a transfer on voyages where there are sufficient passengers to make it viable. My parents have just returned from a round trip were one wasn't arranged because there were 'only' about a hundred people wanting to do it. However, I have always taken a taxi both ways with no problem. Although some Manhattan taxis are reluctant to take people back to Red Hook saying they lose money coming back because of the traffic, provided you start back with time to spare it shouldn't be a problem. And there's always the subway.

Snoozy, yes, I can't see that excursion on the Cunard web-site either, but it does look like the best thing to do if it's available. I'm sure we'll be able to force a sherbert or two down at 2:30 PM !

Pity about the Brooklyn terminal being fixed - can't some arrange for it to be damaged again !!??!!

We've done back to backs on QM2 and have gone into Manhattan for lunch a few times now.

It's easy and very cheap by using a car service - even cheaper if two couples share!

Check these out: Arecibo Car Service, Harbor View Car Service and Lincoln Limousines - these are companies we have used and are mentioned on these boards all the time. You will get a black Lincoln Town Car (takes four passengers), the driver will be at the dock to pick you up as soon as self- disembarkation starts, you'll be in midtown Manhattan in no time then you just call your driver and he'll pick you up wherever you specify at say around 3.00 pm (that's what we always do). These drivers do this all the time and you'll find them cheap and reliable.

Hi Snoozy/ Denise (Nice name you have BTW:D)

Also Congrats on the engagement!

I have had a similar problem in Southampton where there have been no in transit tours. Once you take your taxi to the seaport you will be near many things to see and do. The Financial center and Wall St., the Staten Island Ferry ( Free), World Trade Center site, Trinity Church, City Hall, The Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, Ferry to Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, to name a few. These are all in walking distance of the South St seaport. You will also not be too far from the QM2, in fact you will be able to see it from there.

Denise

Perhaps this website would be of interest http://www.nywatertaxi.com/

A new feature is this:

This service will run from June 5th - September 6th, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays ONLY.

NYHarborWay Ferry

BROOKLYN/ MANHATTAN EXPRESS | BOOK NOW

Shuttle your way between historic South Street Seaport, Dumbo/ Fulton Ferry Landing- home of the first ferry between Manhattan and Brooklyn, and Atlantic Avenue at the southern tip of Brooklyn Bridge Park. And on Fridays only, stop at Governors Island and take advantage of Free Bike Fridays.

Connect to the Statue of Liberty Downtown Express to get to Midtown Manhattan.

Departs South Street Seaport, Fulton Ferry Landing, Governors Island* and Atlantic Avenue

June 5th - September 6th, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays Only

Fridays

One-Way $2 | Round Trip $3 | Family (2 adults & 2 children) $6

Saturdays & Sundays

One-Way $6 | Round Trip $10 | Family (2 adults & 2 children) $15

*Service to Governors Island operates on FRIDAYS ONLY. Service starts Friday, June 11th. Service will be available on Labor Day, Monday, September 6th.

copied from http://www.nywatertaxi.com/hop/NYHWBME/

Thank you everyone for your opinions and experience. It's very interesting reading your replies.

We've been to New York many times, and have done alot of the tourist stuff, and enjoyed our times there.

One of the things I didn't mention before is that my husband has medical problems and can't walk for long periods of time, or stand for long either, which is why the "one coach" from the ship into central Manhatten suited us so well. What we had intended was going to the Top of the Rock, then lunch, a little light walking, then back to the coach. Not very exciting perhaps, but we were looking forward to it.

I think we'll wait until we board and check the situation out then.

Salacia, I'll have a look at the link you suggested.

Once again, many thanks everyone.

Denise

:)

Archived