Gifts FOR Travel Agent?

Are we there yet?

OK, am I crazy in thinking that I was supposed to get my TA a gift instead of the other way around?!!! lol

Since this is our first cruise, and I think she is doing a wonderful job (going to fill in the Homeland Security for us, called numerous times and cruise lines for prices, etc.), I thought it was my job to get her something. Not until I read the thread about gifts FROM TA's did I expect to receive something. Actually, I still don't expect a gift,and won't be disappointed if I don't.

So how many of you buy your TA gifts?

Thanks!

Your TA is being paid for doing these things for you, and it's her job to do it. I mean, you don't give your doctor a gift, or the person who helps you at the department store. TA's are doing their job and when you use them, instead of going through the cruise line or an internet agency, that's the best gift you can give them.

Since 9/11, our TA doesn't give anyone gifts anymore.

And we don't get a gift for her. When we go to book a cruise, we have all the information that she needs - ship - dates - cabin number - table number, etc. All sh has to do is book it. Takes her about 10 - 15 minutes - depending if HAL's lines are busy - any everything is done. We do all our own research.

We book our own air and hotels - she doesn't even have to do that.

We usually buy a gift for our agent. She has put up with me for 15 years, and has never let us down. She called us yeaterday to tell me that my DW and I received a $50.00 per person on board credit, a photo voucher, and a complimentary bottle of champagne. I think thats deserving of a small gift to extend out appreciation.

John

Giving a gift is customarily different for everyone. Some people give gifts for no reason at all while others never give them. We have a housesitter take care of our dogs and house while we are on vacation. We pay her yet we also bring her a gift when we return. As to doing something for salepeople in stores, we do tip our barbers and hairdressers and cab drivers yet we pay them also.

I'm not saying you should get your TA a gift. I am a TA and have never received a gift nor do I expect one. I sometimes give gifts to my clients and sometimes I don't.

If you use a TA for their full service, there is no need for you to research or book any of your own vacations or air/hotel tickets. That's what we do and present you with a number of options. You should compare to make sure you are getting a good deal, but you shouldn't have to do your own work. An exception is booking a cruise while you are on one to get any credits they offer. Then, transfer this to your TA and let him/her do the rest of the work for you.

Booking through the cruise line does not save you the commission. The cruise line just doesn't pay one. TAs almost always get you a better price than booking directly with the cruise line. Booking with an on-line TA is purely choice. I may be better than a local TA, it may not be. Being an outside agent, I have the luxury of being able to go to the client instead of them coming to me and I deliver all documents and paperwork so that we can discuss them. Once I book a client, they generally return for future bookings. I have lost only one to the INTERNET so far and that was more my suggestion than theirs.

The things to watch out for are TAs who work to book the higher commission bookings and will not search/watch for price changes, upgrades and better deals. We work on commissions so beware. To some, a one-time high commission booking is better than long-term customer relations. Hope this helps.

It would be a very nice gesture to get your TA a gift, but I doubt one would be expected. Why not write her a note, telling her what a wonderful job she has done for you and how much you appreciate it. People really like to be told they are appreciated. Include that with a small gift (or not), I'm sure it would make her day.

You sound like a very nice person, BTW.

BooBoo,

I'm in the Kittery/York, Maine area. I do the TA thing on a casual basis. I am retired and don't hustle very much. :) We are traveling too much to be very serious at being a TA.

Wow! Thank you all so much for your replies. tpride3, I live in a small town in Ontario and my TA works for the local travel agency, so I don't know if that will help you or not. I would be very happy to tell you her name and company if you are still interested. She is really a very nice person, and when I was wondering about booking with RCL instead of Carnival (which is more expensive as I'm sure most of you know), she told me to book with Carnival because she thought our kids would like it better, and she has always enjoyed Carnival. So obviously she was thinking more of our family than she was her commission, don't you think?

bibb, thank you for all the information, I didn't know that booking with the cruise line wouldn't be any cheaper. For me the feeling of security that I feel when booking with a TA, outweighs the few dollars I might save doing things on my own.

I can both sides of the argument and would never judge anyone as such, so I think I will go ahead and get her something.

Happy ks thanks for the idea about sending a note, great idea! (thank you for the compliment also:o)

You know, I had always thought that Carnival was cheaper than RCI, too. But, checking prices, they are about the same or sometimes cheaper than Carnival. It's just not true that one is better than the other for families, I think they are just about the same. So, have your agent compare them for you, price wise. I think we should not get into ruts and try different cruise lines every cruise. My husband and I are planning just that for the future, so far we have gone on 6 different lines out of 7 cruises.

Hi Happy ks, I agree about trying different cruise lines. We are actually looking into the "Brilliance" on RCL for our Anniversary. I have read many good things about that ship, and the longer cruise really appeals to us. I did get a quote from our TA for the "Navigator" and "Voyager", and because we have one balcony room and one inside, the price for RCL would have been the same if we booked two inside rooms only. I would have paid more for the balcony, but when I asked her what she would do, she said book with Carnival. Since she has sailed with them, I am trusting her. Also one of the girls I work with just came back from the "Explorer", and she thought it was too big and too many people. Not that I wouldn't want to experience the ship for myself, but that made me think I had made the right decision also.

Do you have a favourite ship or cruiseline yet, if you don't mind me asking? What ship are you thinking of next? Isn't it hard with so many choices!! lol:)

Archived