Alaska excursions

darsura

How close, if at all, does Infinity get to a glacier (Is it Sawyer?) on the round-trip out of Seattle sailing Tracy Arm....can you hear the calving of the ice? Must I take an excursion to really see/hear the glacier? I do not think my kids will want to take a float-plane or helicopter (though I have read they are great). They are not crazy about flying to begin with.

This is Sawyer glacier.

b776f75a.jpg

Just sit back and watch from the ship, like we did. Its part of the cruise, no need to spend the extra money and time from another city to go there. I saw it calve, but I would probably consider that fairly rare.

How close, if at all, does Infinity get to a glacier (Is it Sawyer?) on the round-trip out of Seattle sailing Tracy Arm....can you hear the calving of the ice? Must I take an excursion to really see/hear the glacier? I do not think my kids will want to take a float-plane or helicopter (though I have read they are great). They are not crazy about flying to begin with.

I just returned and did not have any calving but willl say Sawyer Glacier at the end of Tracy Arm is spectacular!!! The above pic is accurate but pictures just cannot do it justice. Until your in person you cannot gain a perspective of just how big this Fjord is. Enjoy and do your best to be topside first thing.

Happy Travels,

Patty

Heck, pictures didn't do any of Alaska justice. :)

That picture is about three weeks old. And it calved about three seconds after I took that picture. I was done and put the camera down.

Missed it by that much.

Archived