Help! No idea on cruise attire

cjmbcruiser

Cruisers I need help. My husband is coming back for his R&R from his deployment in Afghanistan and we are going on a cruise to the Caribbean! Problem is all his clothes are in storage at the last base we were stationed. I moved back to our home state during this deployment so I have no way of getting his things. I am going shopping for him and have no idea what to bring for dinners. I have the typical shorts, polo shirts, swimming trunks, flip flops, etc but am really confused what I need to pack him for dinners every night. I plan on wearing dresses (not too formal, just casual ones). I need help planning his attire. Thank you!!

Cruisers I need help. My husband is coming back for his R&R from his deployment in Afghanistan and we are going on a cruise to the Caribbean! Problem is all his clothes are in storage at the last base we were stationed. I moved back to our home state during this deployment so I have no way of getting his things. I am going shopping for him and have no idea what to bring for dinners. I have the typical shorts, polo shirts, swimming trunks, flip flops, etc but am really confused what I need to pack him for dinners every night. I plan on wearing dresses (not too formal, just casual ones). I need help planning his attire. Thank you!!

All nights but Elegant Evenings he'll be fine in kakhi's or jeans and polo type shirts. Even nicer shorts are allowed. They don't allow plain rubber flip flops and men can't wear tank style tops or anything that shows their arm pits.

On elegant evenings slacks, dress shirt and tie are fine. You'll see men in suits and a few tuxes but not many. I will either wear the same formal wear both nights or go to the buffet on the 2nd night.

All ships have a self serve laundry so I only pack about 1/2 of what I used to and get up early one port day to do a load. The whole cycle only takes about an hour and a half. Be sure and bring dryer sheets but you can purchase tide powder

EDIT to ADD.........This is for Carnival ships

What cruise line are you on? All of them have dress codes, and offer suggestions about what would meet their descriptions.

Usually dinner is a bit more dressy -- long pants, collared shirts, shoes (not flip flops) at the minimum, if you intend to eat in the main dining room. Some higher-end lines request that men wear sports jackets. If you want to be completely casual, you can probably get away with what you have and just eat in the buffet and other casual dining spots on board.

Oops, sorry. We are cruising Carnival Legend. Thanks for your help.

Does he have his dress uniform with him? If so, that is perfect for formal night. He will get lots of thank-yous, lots of compliments, and probably quite a few free drinks. And you will feel like a million dollars on his arm.

For the other nights, buy him a pair of Dockers and a couple of decent polo shirts.

I am currently in Kuwait at Camp Arifjan. Everyone here has their dress uniforms (never know when you are going to need it). Forget having him pick up anything at the PX-Dockers here were $45.00. Cheaper in Kuwait City at the expensive malls.

Enjoy your cruise. Tell your husband thanks for his service!!!

His dress uniform is perfect for formal nights. But Carnival now calls them 'cruise elegant'. We have been on a bunch of Carnival cruises this year (6!) and I have even seen shorts & T shirts in the dining room any night.

No one is going to realize he wore the same dockers two nights ago. My husband takes two dockers and a tux he only wears the 1st 'cruise elegant' night. And he takes polo shirts. As was said there is a self service laundry on the ship so you do not have to send things out to be washed- at big $$$s. ($3 to wash, $3 to dry and $1 for soap, all for quarters you can get at the purser's desk.) Day wear is shorts, swim suits and t- shirts.

He'll be fine and thank him for seriving!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband takes along a beige pair and a blue pair of Docker-like pants (they don't have to be the brand name ones - you can get inexpensive ones in Target, etc) and assorted polo or golf shirts for the non-formal nights. Then the shirts can be worn with shorts on another day. For formal dinners, your husband's uniform would be perfect. Or he could wear the Docker-like pants with a collared dress shirt and a tie with or without a jacket, in lieu of his suit or uniform.

Assuming military regulations permit he can wear either his dress uniform or simply a class A uniform for elegant nights. Coats and ties are not required. Jeans or docker type pants will work on all the other nights along with a collared shirt of some type. At all other times when not eating dinner in the MDR, shorts, tshirt and some type of shoe are the normal dress.

Thank you very much for all the responses. Greatly appreciated. As for formal nights, my husband does not have his dress uniform as they do not need it in the heart of Afghanistan. All he has are his camo pants and blouses. His dress uniforms are also in storage. Do I need to purchase a suite jacket for him or is it acceptable to wear dress pants, a button down shirt and a tie?

On Carnival he doesn't even need a button down collar shirt or tie, just a polo is OK on 'cruise elegant ' night. You will even see jeans then. He can wear docker type pants and a polo shirt. There will be a lot of men wearing just that. My husband sometimes wears his tux but only on 1st cruise elegant night. He wears dockers & polo shirt the rest of the time in the MDR. (We have been on Carnival - the Glory, Liberty & Fantasy- 6 times since September, '09. We are cruise-a-holics.!)

Thank you very much for all the responses. Greatly appreciated. As for formal nights, my husband does not have his dress uniform as they do not need it in the heart of Afghanistan. All he has are his camo pants and blouses. His dress uniforms are also in storage. Do I need to purchase a suite jacket for him or is it acceptable to wear dress pants, a button down shirt and a tie?

I think on Carnival you will find it perfectly acceptable to wear the shirt/tie with no jacket. Fitting a jacket can be tricky and you may not have the time for alterations with the limited R & R time.

My husband takes 2 pair of slacks on cruises, with 3/4 shirts (this is besides his clothing for formal nights). We have the clothes laundered/dry cleaned as needed, which costs far less than buying more clothes!

Don't forget a pair of shoes and a belt to go with his evening wear.

Tell your husband thank you from me for serving our country, I am so proud of service people.

Archived