AOS - food poll - need honest answers

AOS Food  

71 members have voted

1. 1. AOS Food

• Needs drastic improvement (please give specifics why)
    • Needs improvement (give examples: eggs were undercooked)
    • You can eat however you won't brag about it - I'd be happy at Burger King
    • It is acceptable - better than McDonald's but far from gourmet
    • Good to Very Good (meaning a chain restaurant such as Red Lobster)
    • Very Good to Excellent (meaning upscale fine dining)
    • Exceptional (truly gourmet cooking, compares to five star restaurants)

Thinking about booking AOS for the holidays but I'm traveling with some VERY fussy eaters - myself included. I'd like some honest answers regarding the food QUALITY on this ship. I am not asking if there is a lot of food on the ship. I am not asking you to tell me just because you're not preparing it or cooking it that makes it "good" - not in my opinion it doesn't!!! What I am asking is just a fair and honest review and rating of the food on the Adventure of the Seas. The holiday sailing is very expensive so please be honest and keep dishonest and sarcastic comments to yourself. Your TRUTHFUL input will be appreciated.

POLL:

Adventure of the Seas Food:

1. Needs drastic improvement (please give specifics why)

2. Needs improvement (give examples: eggs were undercooked)

3. You can eat however you won't brag about it - I'd be happy a Burger King

4. It is acceptable - better than McDonald's but far from gourmet

5. Good to Very Good (meaning a chain restaurant such as Red Lobster)

6. Very Good to Excellent (meaning upscale fine dining)

7. Exceptional (truly gourmet cooking, compares to five star restaurants)

Any HONEST input is welcome. Thanks

I would not pick AOS for the food. The buffets were similiar to our Princess experience, but the dinners at night were not as good as we had on Princess. However, they were still good and I would not use the food to encourage anyone from not going on AOS. The ship is a blast, has lots to do, has great bars and dancing, and has an awesome itinerary. We picked it mostly for the intinerary of Aruba, Caracao, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. You can't have a bad time in those ports. Although, we are not going on the AOS next year, we will definitely be on it again some year.

I would have to agree with Clubber. We were on the same cruise & the food was fine. The service, however, was remarkable - couldn't have been better. We went to Portofinos one night; the Tenderloin was great. The service in Portofinos didn't even compare to our dining room service. This was our best vacation ever - I wish we could do it again next year.

SanFran - I am a foodie too and I am the one (at least so far) who marked that the food needs improvement. I understand what you're asking about quality and have to tell you in my two sailings aboard RCCL the food was really bad. Our first trip was to Bermuda on the then Nordic Empress - it was extremely oblivious they were cutting corners - very bad quality food. Keep in mind this is a while ago now - several years.

After time and other cruises passed by we thought perhaps we were too harsh in our judgement regarding RCCL and hear so much about AOS we HAD to give it a try. Yes, hands down the itinerary is great and, I can say the ship was beautiful and we were NEVER BORED. However, sadly - while the food had been an improvement over what we had experienced on the Nordic Empress - there was still lots of room for improvement. We spent a lot of time at Johnny Rockets that cruise and that grew tiresome very quickly. We also ate at Portofino's 3 of the nights - again, it grew tiresome because the menu at Portofino doesn't change.

Just a thought but, have you given Celebrity, Princess or Crystal Cruise Lines any consideration? They all have MUCH better food...at least in MHO.

If food is truly one of the important considerations of a cruise ship for you, then I would tell you to book another line but, if food is in the middle or bottom of your list - it's a good ship and you'll enjoy the cruise.

Vinnie

I follow a very low carb, low fat diet. I am wary of any sauces, seasonings or dressings. I was able to eat oatmeal and smoked salmon for breakfast. I didn't actually trust the oatmeal to be low fat as I am sure they cook it in milk. I would eat a slice or two of smoked salmon or a scrambled egg white. Pretty blah. That was in the dining room or buffet.

Lunch in the buffet was an awful experience for me. The sandwich guy would give me a slab of turkey breast to go with the cheese I would find. The veggies and salads always were dressed or sauced.

Dinner was iffy. They never understand why I don't want sauces or seasonings. This made it pretty hard. I could usually eat a piece of beef or fish. No potatoes or bread for me. I always had extra veggies. Can't trust low fat (always high sugar!) or sugar-free (always high fat and laxative).

I know I am in the minority here, but IMHO, Portofino was not good. The service was the same as anywhere else on the ship, so it was top notch. I ordered seared tuna (which was on the menu) and it came out overcooked and grilled, not seared. I know I am picky, so I don't expect much on cruises in the way of food. The concierge lounge had cheese and nuts every afternoon and that actually was the best part of the food for me.

--Judy

I've only been on two cruises, the AOS being my second. I loved this ship and am debating doing the "other" itinerary this fall of cruising out of Boston.

I preferred the food on the Celebrity cruise we took. I enjoyed the five course set up that they had in the main dining room, and their choices at breakfast in their "Windjammer" was much better (can anyone say waffle bar?? :D )

However, lunch on both left something to be desired for me. I mostly just ate salad, which is fine. My husband loved the Celebrity lunch choices, but thought the choices and quality on RCI weren't great.

The service in AOS in the dining room for dinner was fantastic. The food was good, there was always a variety to chose from that worked for everyone at our table. You will certainly not starve on the ship - there are options like Johnny Rockets, Portofinos, the Windjammer and the cafe on the Promenade. I would not let the dining options be a reason to NOT experience the fantastic ship and itinerary.

Just got back from AOS and although it was our first cruise and we have nothing to compare it to, my husband and I thought it was good. We had read negative stuff like everythig is too salty, no flavour, desserts were tasetless. We have to disagree. I'm a real dessert fan and I had some wonderful things both in the Windjammer buffet and the dining room. The service is amazing and you can have two appetizers or whatever you want. If you don't like something just tell them and they will change it. People that we met said that Portifinos was the best food they had ever eaten although we never tried it. We just never felt the need as we were happy with the dining room.

I follow a very low carb, low fat diet. I am wary of any sauces, seasonings or dressings. I was able to eat oatmeal and smoked salmon for breakfast. I didn't actually trust the oatmeal to be low fat as I am sure they cook it in milk. I would eat a slice or two of smoked salmon or a scrambled egg white. Pretty blah. That was in the dining room or buffet.

Well in my opinion low carb tastes pretty blah if it is low fat, but what do I know I have only been eating low carb for 2 years and my blood work is as good a 20 years olds now. The low fat part is the tasteless part.. I never once had a probelm findiing tasty low carb food on a cruise, and I have done 3 of them while low carbing ( a lifestyle change not the fad version) On the AOS they went out of the way for me to accomodate my diet. If I was wary of a sauce, I would ask for it on the side. They always brought extra veggies instead of starches. And there is always vinegar and oil as a salad dressing available any night ( or anytime for that matter). So remember there are always differnt takes on everything:eek:

Well in my opinion low carb tastes pretty blah if it is low fat, but what do I know I have only been eating low carb for 2 years and my blood work is as good a 20 years olds now. The low fat part is the tasteless part.. I never once had a probelm findiing tasty low carb food on a cruise, and I have done 3 of them while low carbing ( a lifestyle change not the fad version) On the AOS they went out of the way for me to accomodate my diet. If I was wary of a sauce, I would ask for it on the side. They always brought extra veggies instead of starches. And there is always vinegar and oil as a salad dressing available any night ( or anytime for that matter). So remember there are always differnt takes on everything:eek:

I, too, am experiencing a lifestyle change. Meaning -- if I didn't do something fast, I was going to be diabetic. The benefits of this new lifestyle are endless. I eat better, more often, have more stable blood sugars, my cholesterol is better. I've lost close to 90 pounds and feel so much better. I have maintained my new weight for over a year.

-- Judy

I was on the AOS last week, and was very dissapointed in the food. We have been on RCCL before, and a total of 8 cruises, and this was by far the most dissapointing. They tried to make it "fancy" like their chilled washington apple soup. However, it was simply watered down applesauce. I would compare the dinner to a chain restaurant- perhaps like Red Lobster...more like Ponderosa. Good if you don't get out much, dissapointing if you have dined at Mortons or the Ritz.

Lunch in the buffet was an awful experience for me. The sandwich guy would give me a slab of turkey breast to go with the cheese I would find. The veggies and salads always were dressed or sauced.

Dinner was iffy. They never understand why I don't want sauces or seasonings. This made it pretty hard. I could usually eat a piece of beef or fish. No potatoes or bread for me. I always had extra veggies. Can't trust low fat (always high sugar!) or sugar-free (always high fat and laxative).

I know I am in the minority here, but IMHO, Portofino was not good. The service was the same as anywhere else on the ship, so it was top notch. I ordered seared tuna (which was on the menu) and it came out overcooked and grilled, not seared. I know I am picky, so I don't expect much on cruises in the way of food. The concierge lounge had cheese and nuts every afternoon and that actually was the best part of the food for me.

--Judy

This seems hard to understand. Salad on all the cruises I've been on have not been dressed unless it is potato or something like that. In August most of my group were on one type of diet or another and all their needs were met.

If you request it you will get it. If it is not to your liking send it back.

Just got back from the AOS. If food is important to you, I think you would be disappointed in the food quality. We went with a group and we agreed that the appetizers and salads were excellent. We were disappointed in the entrees and desserts. Our waiter was excellent, but it was clear he had too many tables to give the service we've received in the past. Alternative dining at Portofinos was excellent. You would need to make reservations and there is a $20 pp charge. Windjammer food was fair. I did have a couple salads that were excellent and so are the omelets.

Found the food as a whole on RCL to be disappointing, but that is not the only reason we cruise. Can I find something to eat, sure. However, this is not like gong to a very good restaurtan. If you are a "foodie" then you will like Celebrity much more than RCI, as the food is very much better IMHO. We do during the winter months on RCI for the activities, the extra sea day that Celebrity does not offer. For our serious cruising, Europe. Alaska, etc we chose Celebrity

This seems hard to understand. Salad on all the cruises I've been on have not been dressed unless it is potato or something like that. In August most of my group were on one type of diet or another and all their needs were met.

If you request it you will get it. If it is not to your liking send it back.

In the buffet, they did have plain lettuce and stuff in their salad bar. I was talking about the pre-made salads and vegetables that were in the buffet line. The salads at dinner were obviously undressed until they offered dressing. I have not had a salad with dressing in years. You would be amazed how much better food tastes to me without extras. I know it is boring, but eating this way is extending my life.

-- Judy

We love RCCL and recommend them highly to all of our friends. But we tell them very honestly upfront that the food quality has gone downhill drastically over the last 3 to 4 years. If you are going on the cruise "to eat" or are a "fussy eater" then RCCL is not for you. If you are going to rest, relax, have a great time, enjoy the ship, ports, and activities and just plan on eating because it is a necessary thing then you will be able to find plenty of something satisfactory to eat. If you are going for the "gourmet food" then you definitely do not need to go RCCL. (We love AOS...the ship, the staff, the ports.)

These posts always make me laugh. When I am at home, I typically don't eat breakfast, have an ok lunch at one of the take out rest. at the Inner Harbour in Baltimore and then go home and have something ok. I never evaluate my day based on what I eat. Having said that, I find the food on most cruise ships to be fairly similar. It is generally decent rest. food, not great by any stretch but not bad either. I bet most people that cruise, based on the price of the rooms on the ships, usually find it hard to spend $100 for two at a rest. That said, I really discount the food critic capabilities of most of the people that post on this topic.

Mark

Thanks for all the input. We're looking into Celebrity and Princess. I was only put off by one comment and, to you Mark, "I" think only a total ignominious would make the comments you made. Some of us are VERY conscious of food - some people are dieting, some have food allergies, some people are food professionals (including chefs) and other people need or want to know they are getting what they are paying for on their cruise. Furthermore, I for one dine at fine restaurants on a weekly basis and, I have feeling so do many who replied to this post. And, what do I mean by "fine" restaurant? I mean restaurants that have earned four or five star rates- need an example: French Laundry in Northern California. So to you Mark - thanks for your wise guy observations but, very obliviously you don't speak for most on this board...and your opinion means NOTHING to me. To the rest who took the time to take this poll and responded, I sincerely thank you for your insight, comments and suggestions.

We were on AOS a year ago after B2B with Celebrity Constellation.

What a difference!!! And it wasn't a cheap cruise. Didn't like the food or the service. Poor entertaiment. The day we were in Aruba - there is no show, exept figure skating. Ship is beautiful. Our cabin was fantastic. Ports were great. But that about it. Loved Constellation.

Wow, so posting my thoughts gets me the Ignoramus award. All I can say is I don't go on vacation so I can eat. I can do that at home, thank you. And if you have health or diet issues, cruise food or 5 star rest are probably not for you. Sorry to burst your bubble. But what would I know, I am but an arrogant Ignoramus who just happens to have his own opinion. You, my friend, need to be more tolerant of those who express an opinion other than your own, regardless of it's flawed nature.

Mark, the Ignoramus

Archived