South Queensferry/Edinburgh

The ship ties up in the Forth just down river of the Forth Bridge, you will tender in to the Hawes Pier which is below the Forth Bridge, you can then cross the road and walk up the (many) steps up the hill to Dalmeny Station - its quite a pull but ok as long as you are reasonably fit.

I may pop down on the 17th, there are a few nice cafe/restaurants in South Queensferry and it makes a fun trip out when there is a ship in. Its always a great atmosphere.

The ship ties up in the Forth just down river of the Forth Bridge, you will tender in to the Hawes Pier which is below the Forth Bridge, you can then cross the road and walk up the (many) steps up the hill to Dalmeny Station - its quite a pull but ok as long as you are reasonably fit.

I may pop down on the 17th, there are a few nice cafe/restaurants in South Queensferry and it makes a fun trip out when there is a ship in. Its always a great atmosphere.

So looking on Google Earth it looks like there is a pier there where the rail bridge crosses. I assume we take the train from the Dalmeny Station in to the Haymarket station? From there it looks like a short walk to Edinburgh Castle...

Yes the pier is directly below the (railway) bridge.

You need to stay on the train until Waverley station - the one after Haymarket. You can walk from Haymarket but its further. As you come out of the tunnel immediately after Haymarket look out up to your right when facing the way you are travelling, you are directly below the castle.

On leaving Waverley you are a 10 min walk from the castle, there are a variety of routes, some involving steps, others not.

How frequent do the trians run South Queensferry to/from Waverly Station? thanx

They are every 15-25 minutes.

If you're lucky you might get away without paying... the conductors aint the fastest and you'll be in Edinburgh in 5-10 minutes.

Are there cabs available near the Pier for the old and out of shape among us?? Can you give an estimate on cab fare from the pier to the station?

Do you have a cafe/restaurant recommendation??

I would imagine there will be taxis but how much they would take, I couldnt tell you I'm afraid. Havent used a taxi in years, sorry.

My favourite cafe in the area is Craigies farm shop and deli but you couldnt walk there, I like the one just across from the pier but cant for the life of me remember its name, tables outside if its a nice day. My Grandparents used to take me there for ice cream 40 years ago when it was just a tin hut! Its much classier than that now - has a model railway running in the rafters.

The boathouse is good too. There quite a few to choose from.

Are there cabs available near the Pier for the old and out of shape among us??

You can make arrangements with this company to meet you at the dock. Many others have used them so it can't be unreasonable.

info@call-us-cabs.com (all I have is their e-mail address)

Also, this company quite often offers shuttle service to Edinburgh. You could contact them to see if the service will be offered for your ship.

http://www.scotlinetours.co.uk/html/links.html

Archived