Beach Help Please

Whitnee1

Been to both many times (plus Sapphire). Megan's Bay has a $4 pp entry fee but is the most beautiful beach and location. Coki Beach is nice for families and snorkeling or scuba lovers; Coki Divers can be reserved privately if you dive. There are services at both locations including rest rooms, chair rentals and limited refreshments. A hamburger & fries with a can of soda cost $11 at Coki near the Coral World entry last week. It was a big burger and juicy.

It's up to your likes; Maegan's would be my first choice if this were my first time at St. Thomas.

Been to both many times (plus Sapphire). Megan's Bay has a $4 pp entry fee but is the most beautiful beach and location. Coki Beach is nice for families and snorkeling or scuba lovers; Coki Divers can be reserved privately if you dive. There are services at both locations including rest rooms, chair rentals and limited refreshments. A hamburger & fries with a can of soda cost $11 at Coki near the Coral World entry last week. It was a big burger and juicy.

It's up to your likes; Maegan's would be my first choice if this were my first time at St. Thomas.

That was very helpful information ... thanks!!

If we wanted some decent snorkeling then would you recommend Coki over Meagans?

Yes if want to snorkel and you are considering Magens and Coki then you'd want to go to Coki. Magens is a beautiful beach but not much to see snorkeling.

--Islander

Hi. I will be in St. Thomas in October 2010. We have 2 people. I'd like to do a short island tour, do a little (1 - 1 1/2 hours) shopping in Charlotte Amalie, and get a little beach time (1 - 1 1/2 hours). Can this be done in about 4-5 hours? We can cut out the tour if necessary. What do you recommend? A tour operator? Independent taxi? Other options?

Also, we are looking for a nice, not so crowded, sandy beach (snorkeling not necessary), with restrooms, food, and drink (non alchoholic drinks are fine). Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Many of the group tours do what you are asking about: 1 or 2 hours shopping in town, 2 hour island tour and 2 hours at the beach. You can also just get a taxi at the dock and request for the lenght of time you need it to be. Other options besides taxi/tour would be to rent a car and do it on your own. For beach choices, try a beach guide for St. Thomas and then you can go through the various options and see which ones look good to you: try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=st.+thomas+beach+guide+east+end+northside.

--Islander

Papa Bear at Air Force One Tours has a deal for a great price....

A tour for 2 hours/beach for 2 hours and will even add shop for 2 hours if you wish

We have used him several times.....

I've been to both many times and they are both nice but they're pretty different. When we fly in to St. Thomas we stay at a hotel within walking distance to Coki so we go there a lot. But honestly it's a madhouse during the days when ships are in port. It's a smaller beach than Magens and feels quite crowded on the beach and in the water. The snorkeling is pretty good especially if you bring some dog biscuits. The fish will swim up and nibble on them right out of your hand. There are plenty of shacks to buy food and drinks from but again it feels super crowded everywhere.

Magen's on the other hand is a longer beach and if you like to spread out some you can walk farther down and have a little bit of breathing room. The bottom is sandy so there's not much snorkeling but if you like to veg out it's a great place to rent a float and just relax in the water or on a chair in the sun or under the shade of a palm tree. There are waiters and waitresses who walk up and down the beach and will bring you drinks and will even wade out to deliver them to you on your float. Very cool! Try a bushwacker, they're delicious! The pizza is also quite good there.

If I had to pick one place in St. Thomas, Magen's would be it.

Archived