Pride -- Port Canaveral stop

cbpanda

They said on the local news the other day that they are trying to get permits for a market area at the port. This is a copy of the report from WESH.com.

http://www.wesh.com/money/23987249/detail.html

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. --

A new proposal in Port Canaveral could bring in more cruise cash.

Port commissioners want to fast-track a new Port-of-Call Village, a shopping area for cruise ship passengers who now do most of their shopping elsewhere.

Within a couple of months, on vacant land in the Port, a tent village could springs up to capture day-tripping cruise passengers or folks about to leave on a cruise.

Local businesses are all for it.

Brevard County business leaders have long complained that most of the money spent by cruise passengers sails right out of the port with the ships.

We've stayed on ship, done the KSC, and taken the Alligator Boat tour. Next cruise, we're headed to Universal Studios....I'm hoping that everyone will be at IOA experiencing Harry Potter and USF will be empty (beginning of December). USF is one park that could easily be accomplished in the alloted time frame if it's not too packed.

For me, KSC was one and done, and I didn't like the Alligator tour as much as others have. It could have been because it was mating season, and our entire tour consisted of sitting in the water waiting for alligators to show...didn't. Apparently, during the period that we were there, the alligators typically want privacy. It would have been nice if they had cancelled the tours during that time. The birds had also left for the season. :rolleyes:

Our first cruise to PC we stayed on the ship thinking that we could walk to Jetty Park and the nearby restaurants. Distance wise, it would be an easy walk for us, unfortunately, there are no safe pedestrian travel routes to get away from the port. You definitely need to take a taxi to get anywhere.

We did too (I'm on the same cruise as you AKnot). We deliberately chose it because it ISN'T going to Port Canaveral.

We've been to Disney World numerous times, been to Kennedy Space Center, and if we wanted to go to the beach we'd much rather it be in Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay. Just our personal preference.

- Sharon -

Well, this one was a filler cruise. Our son was going to to be out of town during this week and we decided to see if a cruise fit into the same time period. So no real choice on weeks.

No big deal, really. As I've said before, I'm perfectly happy to stay on the ship. I was just curious to know if there was something close by that might be interesting.

Well, this one was a filler cruise. Our son was going to to be out of town during this week and we decided to see if a cruise fit into the same time period. So no real choice on weeks.

No big deal, really. As I've said before, I'm perfectly happy to stay on the ship. I was just curious to know if there was something close by that might be interesting.

I hear you. I hope you have a great time, no matter what you choose to do!

- Sharon -

We've stayed on ship, done the KSC, and taken the Alligator Boat tour. Next cruise, we're headed to Universal Studios....I'm hoping that everyone will be at IOA experiencing Harry Potter and USF will be empty (beginning of December). USF is one park that could easily be accomplished in the alloted time frame if it's not too packed.

For me, KSC was one and done, and I didn't like the Alligator tour as much as others have. It could have been because it was mating season, and our entire tour consisted of sitting in the water waiting for alligators to show...didn't. Apparently, during the period that we were there, the alligators typically want privacy. It would have been nice if they had cancelled the tours during that time. The birds had also left for the season. :rolleyes:

Our first cruise to PC we stayed on the ship thinking that we could walk to Jetty Park and the nearby restaurants. Distance wise, it would be an easy walk for us, unfortunately, there are no safe pedestrian travel routes to get away from the port. You definitely need to take a taxi to get anywhere.

We considered Universal Studios, but we were there just last year and the only thing we'd want to see this time is the Harry Potter section! :eek: Finally decided that travel to/from, fighting the crowds and worrying about returning to the ship on time, wasn't exactly the restful, relaxing vacation we had in mind. ;)

I would love to sail out of Baltimore (closest port to us) but the itineraries leave a lot to be desired. Wish they would offer longer cruises to get further into the Caribbean.

Will probably though do a Bermuda cruise if the timing works out next year,

I would love to sail out of Baltimore (closest port to us) but the itineraries leave a lot to be desired. Wish they would offer longer cruises to get further into the Caribbean.

Will probably though do a Bermuda cruise if the timing works out next year,

This is our first time out of Baltimore. Not too crazy about the itinerary, but haven't been to the Bahamas directly (just to the cruiseline beach stops), so I imagine it might be interesting.

We tossed around the RC sailing to Bermuda during the same week but it was only 5 days and Carnival's 7 day Bahamas sailing was only $30 more for 2 more days. No brainer, IMO!

We are sailing on the Pride out of Baltimore next month and the first port of call is Port Canaveral. We have not been to this port before. Can anyone tell me is there anything to do here aside from the beach (we are not beach people), or the amusements parks (WDW, Universal, Seaworld – which deserve more than just a few hours for the expense) or Kennedy Space Center (we have done numerous times before). Is there any place to just walk around? Or is like an industrial port? Will it be better to just stay on the ship and enjoy the solitude caused by the majority of passengers off on excursions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

(I apologize if this is not posted in the correct area of the boards, but I tried looking for a Port Canaveral section on the “Ports of Call” board, with no luck.)

If you do not like the amusement parks or the KSC and you do wish to get off the ship, I would suggest, if possible renting a car. Melbourne is a short drive on A1A and there is a section called "Old Melbourne" which has some nice shops and eateries. Closer in would be shopping an Ron Jon for beach and summer wear. If you take S.R. 528 (Beachline) you could travel to Park Ave, Winter Park which is about a 90 minute drive with excellent eateries and shopping. Enjoy!!!

Archived