New to this forum AND to cruising

Ki-Ki

Hello!

I am just now looking into booking a cruise for my husband's 50th birthday...which isn't until December.

Is January a good month for a cruise? I want to surprise him with it on his birthday but I didn't want to have to wait for months before we went.

The cruise I was looking at in January was a 4 night on the Carnival Ecstacy that leaves January 13th.

I will read over this forum, but I am sure I will be redundant and ask many questions that have already been answered.

I was stoked when I saw this forum! I moderate a football forum similar to the layout of this one and have learned in the 8 years I have been on that board that places like this are the best place hands down to get useful information!!

Every month is a great one to cruise!!!

In January, prices are usually a little lower because there are fewer families traveling then. It also means there are fewer kids on board.

We have never been on a 4 night cruise, but they have a rep as party cruises.

Awesome...so January it is.

Now for another question, I have read conflicting reports about tipping. Some say you will need to tip EVERYONE and that it will all go on your cruise card (or something to that effect) and others say carry some cash and tip that way.

If the drinks already have 15% gratuity added to them, do we tip again??

I have many different questions but figured it's easier to ask them one at time vs. many questions and many different answers.

I find I am easily enough confused as it is, no need to compound the problem.

Now for another question, I have read conflicting reports about tipping. Some say you will need to tip EVERYONE and that it will all go on your cruise card (or something to that effect) and others say carry some cash and tip that way. I usually either pre-pay my tips or have them added automatically to my on-board account. That covers your room steward and dining room staff. The bar staff is covered by the 15% tip added directly to every drink bill. IF you get really GREAT service from a staff member, you may want to give a bit extra in cash, at the end of the cruise. It isn't mandatory. I usually find at least one service person who really stands out on each of my cruises, and tip them a bit extra. Your automatic tips are only about $10/day, which is divided among several crew members.

If the drinks already have 15% gratuity added to them, do we tip again?? Again, not necessary. If you have a pool-side server who is going above and beyond, sure. They often like to establish REGULAR customers on each sailing. Often you'll find a server who learns your name, what you like to drink, helps you locate a lounge chair, stops by to visit and chat, becomes a cruise-buddy. I will often throw that sort of server some extra.

I have many different questions but figured it's easier to ask them one at time vs. many questions and many different answers.

Someone posted that 4-day cruises tend to be more party cruises. That's very true. If you can afford a 5, 6, or 7 day cruise, you may have a more enjoyable experience. I'm your age and have discovered that I've out-grown the party-hard cruises.

Someone posted that 4-day cruises tend to be more party cruises. That's very true. If you can afford a 5, 6, or 7 day cruise, you may have a more enjoyable experience. I'm your age and have discovered that I've out-grown the party-hard cruises.

It's not a matter of money, it's more about a "trial run" to see if we would like something like this.

We are simple people....our "vacations" consist of making as many high school football games as we can in one weekend, spending the weekend in Austin at the State Track meet...the occasional 3 or 4 days camping and floating the river.

This is something completely new to us. I have wanted to go on a cruise for a while but my husband didn't seem too interested. One of his co-workers and his wife took a 7 day and they loved it....so now he is gung-ho to go!

I am not much of a party girl anymore, but drunk people CAN be rather amusing to watch!! :)

We went on a seven day cruise, with friends that talked us into it, for our first cruise. We then wanted other friends to try it, so we did a four day cruise. They were also "no frills" folks, and just wanted to relax and do something new, but didn't know how they'd react to the thought of sea sickness, small cabins, etc, etc. We went on the four day cruise and had a great time. We are still cruising......number thirteen coming up, and our friends cruised about four times and then had medical issues which kept them from cruising again. They are still talking about how much they enjoyed the cruises, starting with the four day. We have other friends that "tried out" cruising with a four day cruise, really didn't enjoy it, and haven't gone again. I think you are wise to try a short cruise if you don't know if it is your thing.

By the way, January is a great time to cruise in the Caribbean. It is warm and a wonderful get away after the bustle of the holidays. Just include the ten dollars per day, per person, into your budget plans, and your tips will be taken care of. Oh, you will have to tip the dock longshoremen that load your luggage onto the ship, if you don't carry it yourself. If you WANT to tip someone else, you are able to do so, but it is unnecessary. Also, you never tip a staff person. Tips are added to your bill for drinks at the time they are served, even soda. You may wish to bring some ones with you to tip for room service, if you use it. We usually give the room service steward $2-3 per delivery. More if it's a big deal.

Most of all, relax and have fun! Be sure and check your ship's newsletter every night (delivered to your cabin) so you'll know what's going on, when, for the next day. What a great gift for your husband!

This is going to sound really pathetic, but are there any cable stations on the ship? My husband is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, and if they happen to be in the playoffs in January, it is going to kill him to have to miss a game!!!

I'm thinking you might want to look at a longer cruise. Even a 5 day one would draw a different (more mature/less roudy) crowd than the one you are considering. You also might want to pick a larger ship, with more amenities onboard. My thoughts are that if your husband is hesitant, then an older ship and a rough crowd might further turn him off to cruising, whereas some of the newer ships with a more refined crowd might hook him on cruising forever!

Tipping: Just leave the automatic tips on. Then, the only people you need to tip are the room service delivery person (if you use room service) and the porter at the pier who handles your luggage ($1-2 per bag). If you wish to give the cabin steward and waiters a few dollars more, that's an option, but not something most people do.

Hi I am new and so confused as to how this works. I am going on a cruise on the 10th July from Malaga with RCI on the Adventure of the seas. Can anyone tell me how to find out if there are other people here that are going on the same cruise.

Thanks

Lucia 1958: Go to the Roll Call board.

Click on "Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle Roll Calls"

Click on "Adventures of the Seas Roll Calls"

then scroll down to "Adventures of the Seas - 10th July 2010 - Malaga"

Happy sailing !!!

Now for another question, I have read conflicting reports about tipping. Some say you will need to tip EVERYONE and that it will all go on your cruise card (or something to that effect) and others say carry some cash and tip that way.

If the drinks already have 15% gratuity added to them, do we tip again??

Carnival will automatically charge you $10 per person per day for tips and that is paying for your cabin stewards, waiters in the restaurants, etc. No need to tip anyone additional unless you want to. Drinks automatically get 15% gratuity added, so you don't have to tip them additional unless you feel they are doing something special for you and gave you excellent services.

I'm thinking you might want to look at a longer cruise. Even a 5 day one would draw a different (more mature/less roudy) crowd than the one you are considering. You also might want to pick a larger ship, with more amenities onboard. My thoughts are that if your husband is hesitant, then an older ship and a rough crowd might further turn him off to cruising, whereas some of the newer ships with a more refined crowd might hook him on cruising forever!

Tipping: Just leave the automatic tips on. Then, the only people you need to tip are the room service delivery person (if you use room service) and the porter at the pier who handles your luggage ($1-2 per bag). If you wish to give the cabin steward and waiters a few dollars more, that's an option, but not something most people do.

The rowdy crowd won't bother me.....my husband and I have 5 kids, all in their mid to early 20's.....so we are used to "rowdiness."

Since we are traveling with another couple, it is next to impossible to schedule both of the men's vacations to coincide with their "separate" days off and take a longer cruise.

This will be a "tester" cruise.....if we like it, we may book a longer one next time.

Hi I am new and so confused as to how this works. I am going on a cruise on the 10th July from Malaga with RCI on the Adventure of the seas. Can anyone tell me how to find out if there are other people here that are going on the same cruise.

Thanks

While looking though some of this board, I noticed there are "roll call" forums that might be able to help you!!

This is going to sound really pathetic, but are there any cable stations on the ship? My husband is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan, and if they happen to be in the playoffs in January, it is going to kill him to have to miss a game!!!

Go for seven (7) day cruise and go for a balcony. Hopefully, being in the Caribbean, on a wonderful cruise ship with his beautiful and romantic wife will take his mind off football. This guy needs help!!!

Go for seven (7) day cruise and go for a balcony. Hopefully, being in the Caribbean, on a wonderful cruise ship with his beautiful and romantic wife will take his mind off football. This guy needs help!!!

That made me laugh!!!!

I wish we could do a seven day cruise, but since we are going with another couple and have to work this around 2 work schedules, there is no workable way.

My sister-in-law and I discussed it last night and decided if the Cowboys aren't still in it, this will be a good consolation prize, and if they are...oh well, we will just have to miss a game!

We probably both need help as we are 100% football oriented from late August through to the superbowl...high school, college and pro.

Once I surprise him with this, he will be shocked that it was MY idea to take a cruise during this time!!

If we decide we like this kind of vacation, I see longer cruises in our future. We live in West Texas....we aren't used to water. :p

Archived