Sailaway question

HollDoll

This being only my second Princess cruise (and apparently I "missed the boat" the first time), just where is the "place to be" for sailaway? Last time I was just on my balcony. Is there a special area, with special food or drink or something for sailaway? I'll be on the Golden to Alaska in August. Thanks!

Oh, I didn't mean free drinks or anything--just a party atmosphere of some sort. Never spent any time at the pools, but aren't there several of them? Do you just mean on that deck? Don't mean to sound like a dunce, but this is the first cruise for my friend, and I'd love to show him a good time. Thanx!

Usually up by the pool there is a band and some activities. No free drinks and if a bar server hands you one with their right hand, they will be holding out their left for your cruise card to charge it to. ;)

Princess giveth and Princess taketh away.

[with apologies to Job]

This being only my second Princess cruise (and apparently I "missed the boat" the first time), just where is the "place to be" for sailaway? Last time I was just on my balcony. Is there a special area, with special food or drink or something for sailaway? I'll be on the Golden to Alaska in August. Thanks!

Sorry, true sailaway is not allowed in Seattle, due to the complaints of some of the "neighbors" to Terminal 91 in Magnolia. The ship must have sailed a certain distance from the Terminal before they are allowed to have any music playing, or there is "heck" to pay. It was pretty quiet last year when we left. Got a little more animated after the distance limit was met. It was held on the pool deck, near the Horizon Court. No bands, just "canned music" and a bit of line dancing. Yes, there are drinks. No BBQ or anything like that, but you can fetch food from the Horizon Court to sit out by the pool and watch and/or participate in the goings on.

Sorry, true sailaway is not allowed in Seattle, due to the complaints of some of the "neighbors" to Terminal 91 in Magnolia. The ship must have sailed a certain distance from the Terminal before they are allowed to have any music playing, or there is "heck" to pay. It was pretty quiet last year when we left. Got a little more animated after the distance limit was met. It was held on the pool deck, near the Horizon Court. No bands, just "canned music" and a bit of line dancing. Yes, there are drinks. No BBQ or anything like that, but you can fetch food from the Horizon Court to sit out by the pool and watch and/or participate in the goings on.

HollDoll can hold it in her cabin. The sound insulation is quite good. :D

You must also whisper and walk softly so you do not disturb the Magnolia neighborhoods..:D The ships must also run silent until they are far enough away......

Man that would suck lol.

I was on the Golden for the May 22nd cruise. I went up to the top deck (all excited about the sailaway), and it was so quiet...for 45 minutes. I was a newbie not knowing what to expect. Then the CD picked up a microphone and kicked things off and explained about the noise restrictions leaving Seattle. After that it was music ~ party ~ and fun. We had our first meal in the Horizon Court, signed up for a wine tasting, drank a margarita....and all was fun and partylike after that.

Oh, I didn't mean free drinks or anything--just a party atmosphere of some sort. Never spent any time at the pools, but aren't there several of them? Do you just mean on that deck? Don't mean to sound like a dunce, but this is the first cruise for my friend, and I'd love to show him a good time. Thanx!
Just check the Patter when you get onboard.

Leaving Whittier end of season, there was no real on-deck event, instead the set off fireworks from the dock as we pulled out and everyone just kind of spread out starboard.

I was wondering what they did in Whittier for sail away. Unfortunately, we leave in July and it would be too light even at 8:30 p.m. for fireworks, I would think. I'm used to sailing from large ports, where people on the shoreline wave and cheer you on, during your sail away. However, Whittier is so small that I think sail away will be no big deal except for me, because it means, my cruise is beginning :D

Usually up by the pool there is a band and some activities. No free drinks and if a bar server hands you one with their right hand, they will be holding out their left for your cruise card to charge it to. ;)

In the early 90's on the old Crown Princess, my mom and I were in the swim up pool during sailaway, this was the second of the B2B. The waiters had set the drinks on trays down and left for a few minutes, a bunch of passengers just walked up grabbed them and had free drinks. :eek: Of course my mom thought this was terrible. Not sure wether the people realized they were not free, it wasn't like they were sneaking them and running off with them.

Archived