Aft Balcony Rooms

geopat19

It depends on the ship....most aft balconies are deeper than the side balconies, but it's almost always a loooooooong walk back and forth to those cabins...

There will be less wind back there...and in hot weather, it can become too hot to sit out during the daylight hours.

On some ships, there will be some "vibration" back there...some don't mind it at all.

I prefer the cabins near to the stairs and elevators, as it makes coming and going a breeze! And, with only 2 of us, the balcony is more than adequate to sit, read, oceangaze....I'm not hosting a dance on the balcony, so I don't need the extra space and the long walk!

There are tons of people on here who do love the afts, but I am one of those rare people who does not.

We've only had one and while the balcony was nice and big, I agree the walking a mile to get any where was not fun. Also we had rough seas the whole week so there was a lot of "pitching" motion.

And last but not least we had a balcony that was near a "vent" where the fumes from the accumulating rotting food was vented. We could not use the balcony because the whole week it smelled like a landfill and the further into the week we got, the worse the smell.

If you do consider a balcony be sure to talk to someone who knows about exactly where the location might be in regards to vents and/or beams that might detract from your enjoyment.

We paid a premium for this balcony and could not even use it.....to say the least we were very disappointed.....:(

I was wondering the same thing. I have the opportunity to book one soon, but also see other balconies that might work too. There are only 2 of us going, so not sure how big both balconies are and what the size difference really makes.

We were not as enthralled with ours as others are with theirs when we tried one, we did not enjoy sitting on it as we sailed, it seemed "hotter" in port compared to side balconies and we had food and cigarette butts on it everyday from people throwing them overboard from the decks above.

Worse, we often got big flakes of carbon from the smoke stacks on the furniture, which would stain any swimsuits or towels left out to dry.

The posters who mentioned problems with their aft cabins did not mention the ships they were on. We have only had afts on Radiance class ships (RCI) and Celebrity and have never had a problem with food or cigarettes on our balcony and certainly no foul odors or soot.

On the Radiance class ships we have been on deck 10 directly under the Lido and perhaps because we were so high we also got a breeze.

As far as the hike to the elevators and stairs, that's just part of my exercise regiment, and I have never taken a cruise where a little exercise would hurt.

The posters who mentioned problems with their aft cabins did not mention the ships they were on. We have only had afts on Radiance class ships (RCI) and Celebrity and have never had a problem with food or cigarettes on our balcony and certainly no foul odors or soot.

On the Radiance class ships we have been on deck 10 directly under the Lido and perhaps because we were so high we also got a breeze.

As far as the hike to the elevators and stairs, that's just part of my exercise regiment, and I have never taken a cruise where a little exercise would hurt.

Just FYI....the aft balcony we had was on our one & only Princess cruise.

We are also not aft balcony fans. Yes, the balcony is significantly larger, but it gets very hot back there with no crossbreeze to temper the heat, so we couldn't use the balcony. The balcony was soaking wet in the morning from cleaning of the sports deck above.

We were on RCI's Voyager class ships, which have obstructed views from the aft balconies. There are tons of beams, and the decks below extend out, so that you look out towards the water and not straight down - it's klike overlooking a construction zone. Also, with the deeper balconies, you cannot see the sea from inside the cabin.

I'd take a side facing balcony, although smaller, any day over an aft.

Thanks for your input, everyone!! I think my husband and I are changing to a suite on the front of the ship now. We will be sailing the Carnival Victory in November, 2010. :)

Excellent Decision!

We love the suites on the Victory!

Archived