Help me choose a new camera!

Thanks beege1936 and everyone for all of your helpful comments. I ended up getting a Lumix ZS5 a week ago. It was a REALLY hard choice, and I guess I won't know if I'm truly happy with it until after my trip. I read reviews until I was sick of it, talked to people I knew, and looked at all the cameras at Penn Camera. The bottom line was that I really wanted a big zoom and a smaller camera than my Minolta DImage since I also carry a video camera and wanted to be able to put everything in my small shoulder bag. I know a lot of the P&S cameras can take pretty decent video now, but I love my video camera and it has a 20G hard drive so I'm not quite ready to give it up. The ZS5 was small and felt very comfortable to hold and use and I was really drawn to having a Leica lens. I'm kind of afraid though that I'm really going to miss the 420 zoom on my Minolta. We'll see......... I guess I can crop the pictures and blow them up, but I really only just look at my photos on the computer now. My son keeps telling me I should print and display them in my house, so maybe if they're nice and sharp I will do that. The only framed photo I have displayed now is actually one my father took (and printed) of the town in Norway where my great grandfather came from.

I looked at the suggested sunshade for the LCD, but decided it might be too annoying and in the way. When I took a few practice pictures outside in bright light, I didn't really have any trouble seeing, so I'm hoping for the best. I compared the screen size with the ZS7, but didn't really feel it made enough difference to warrant spending almost $100 more since I wasn't interested in the GPS feature. "Topspot", I wish I'd known sooner about the ZS6 with the 3 inch screen! I hadn't read anything about it! And in fact I did buy the camera from Amazon.

I leave for China in 5 days with my new camera, and hope I made the right choice. Wish me luck!!

You should be fine with your ZS5 if it is anything like the ZS3 that my wife has. Her only difficulty is the placement of the video button that is easy to press accidentally. But I like ability to take quick video without having to pull out the video camera.

Thanks beege1936 and everyone for all of your helpful comments. I ended up getting a Lumix ZS5 a week ago. It was a REALLY hard choice, and I guess I won't know if I'm truly happy with it until after my trip......... Wish me luck!!

I think (& really hope) you'll be happy with the ZS5. My daughter recently bought a ZS5 & really loves it! My most recent post before today was focused on your desire for the longer zoom. I have a ZS3 (last year's ZS7 minus GPS plus a couple of small features) & really like it. The Leica lens is great & picture quality with this entire series is really quite good. Have a wonderful trip & here's wishing you happy shooting with your new camera!!:)

When buying my first digital camera, I had only 3 requirements: A viewfinder, a 12X optical zoom, and most importantly,it had to run on AA batteries. I lost my batteries and charger in Buenos Aires, and it cost me $20 for a set and charger. Someone else had to pay $50 just for a new battery.

We just got back from a 30 day trip, and the number of people with the LCD's trying to frame a picture was ridiculous!Plus, the have to get up close and are in other's way

When buying my first digital camera, I had only 3 requirements: A viewfinder, a 12X optical zoom, and most importantly,it had to run on AA batteries. I lost my batteries and charger in Buenos Aires, and it cost me $20 for a set and charger. Someone else had to pay $50 just for a new battery.

We just got back from a 30 day trip, and the number of people with the LCD's trying to frame a picture was ridiculous!Plus, the have to get up close and are in other's way

I'll admit, I like a viewfinder....but some time one must bite the proverbial bullet!

Only problem with the use of AA batteries is that the size of the camera is generally far larger than the Panasonic models referred to in this string. Hint to all: I do not get my extra batteries from Panasonic. I go to E Bay and look up the model battery I want. Typically a long series of suppliers comes up. AND many of them offer free shipping.

As I mentioned, I recently bought a Lumix DMC ZS1. 12x Zoom and a 25mm wide position....that tends to be more important than the difference between 8X -12x. This camera uses a new style battery that has some kind of circuitry inside....the battery I bought for about $10.00 including shipping specifically guaranteed that it works with that circuit.

I received the battery....charged it with the Panasonic charger....put it into the camera and it works fine! You can buy an extra charger also at E Bay...for a song if you are worried about losing one.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

I am in the process of upgrading. Till this point I was using my Nicon Coolpix and Canon Powershot A590 IS.

Even though I started reading books about photography and applying rules, I am not really getting nice pictures. They are not deep (even when I am using composition tricks etc), saturated, sharp enough.

So .. I want to go the next level. I don't know if I want to invest big money - I am still somewhat of a beginner - and trying to decide if I need to have beginner DSLR Nikon D3000/ Canon Rebel SX or still try to improve with something like Canon G11.

What would be your recommendations?

Thank you,

Interesting thread.

I am in the process of upgrading. Till this point I was using my Nicon Coolpix and Canon Powershot A590 IS.

Even though I started reading books about photography and applying rules, I am not really getting nice pictures. They are not deep (even when I am using composition tricks etc), saturated, sharp enough.

So .. I want to go the next level. I don't know if I want to invest big money - I am still somewhat of a beginner - and trying to decide if I need to have beginner DSLR Nikon D3000/ Canon Rebel SX or still try to improve with something like Canon G11.

What would be your recommendations?

Thank you,

My first recommendation is to continue taking lots of pictures, and then looking critically at the results - take a look at the settings that you have selected [recorded in the image meta data] and compare the settings to your results. This would be continued refinement of your technique - and this is more important than new hardware.

My second recommendation is to join the forums over at dpreview.com [and take a look at the challenge entries as well]

The next step in hardware would probably be some sort of camera that provides:

• A larger aperture [lets in more light]
  • Larger sensor [larger photo sites, less noise, controllable depth of field]
  • Eve level viewfinder [optical or electronic, standard or accessory]
  • Off the camera flash [hot shoe or other connector]
  • Full manual controls [i think you 'A' series has this]

This would include

• Fixed Lens cameras [Canon G series, Panasonic LX5, Sigma DP series, Ricoh GR series]
  • EVIL cameras, like the 'Micro four thirds' designs from Panasonic or Olympus [no eye level finder in Sony's current designs in this category]
  • SLR cameras - like the popular models featured everywhere [do you already have an investment in lenses?]
  • Rangefinder - the Leica M9 is in a cla$$ almost by itself

Each style has pluses and minuses. My current 'carry almost everywhere' camera is the now discontinued Panasonic FZ 50 / Leica VLux1. This was the last generation 'bridge' camera [High speed lens, mid size sensor, electronic viewfinder] that has not been replaced with a current generation camera. [The G2 comes close, but would require several lenses to be the equivalent]

My eventual next hardware purchase may be either a large sensor compact [LX5] or a Canon digital body compatible with my film lens investment [only 5 lenses, accumulated since the early '90s]

..........So .. I want to go the next level. I don't know if I want to invest big money - I am still somewhat of a beginner - and trying to decide if I need to have beginner DSLR Nikon D3000/ Canon Rebel SX or still try to improve with something like Canon G11.......

Good advice from TheOldBear... Based on what you're saying, I'd personally prefer going the DSLR route assuming you want the greatest flexibility and options. I have the Canon Rebel XSi and love it. The latest version of the Rebel is the T2i with some good deals being offered on the model T1i it's replacing. I recently saw a nice T1i package with 2 lenses offered at Costco in case you are a member or want to become one. You might also check out Amazon.com. You should probably read reviews & compare specs at dpreview.com to see if the new specs of T2i are worth the extra $'s. I haven't used the Nikon models but understand they are also nice. I tried the G10 but, while I liked it, it's not as fast (no shutter lag on DSLR) or flexible as the DSLR.

Whatever you decide..... ENJOY!!

Archived