Voyages to Antiquity Cruises after June 15

Doubloon

We are very interested in booking one of the new Voyages to Antiquity cruises and would love to hear feedback from anyone who has traveled with them ON JUNE 15 OR LATER TRIPS. There have been some negative reports about the June 1 trip with a couple of passengers posting the same information many times on many sites. I'm sure many of us who are greatly tempted by the itineraries, size of the ship, and focus on history would really appreciate hearing any current information.

We unfortunately chose to cancel the dreamy looking Cairo to Athens trip and they notified us our deposit refund was in the mail. That is an encouraging sign because there was a concern if they were allegedly out of cash, that this might not be happening. So let's take this as a good sign for them and they are dealing fair and square with their customers.

I'm sorry you cancelled.. I know how frustrating it can be to miss a trip you were looking forward to. It is a very positive thing that they refunded your money.. a real plus for them, you are right. I hope you find another trip to replace it soon. shar

Doubloon, I will keep looking and if I find any reviews or postings, I'll mention them here. Please do the same! I'm sailing on the last cruise of the season so I still have a little time to see how things go before my final payment. Still feeling more optimistic than not.

I just got an e-mail from someone who did a B2B. She reports that the cruise director is now in place and doing a good job sorting out tours and excursion times. The lectures were very interesting but Lord Norwich could not be on-board because of medical issues, not VtoA related.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got an e-mail from a passenger on the last cruise. The Aegean Odyssey air conditioner broke and it took 3 days to get it working again.

It's an ongoing problem.. on the June 1 trip we lost the air con for about 2 days.. made for quieter but very warm nights in my cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are booked on the Carthage to be Deleted Cruise on Aegean Odyssey and have been looking forward to it. However after reading the torrent of negative feedback about V2A on this and other cruise review sites, if anything is to be deleted its probably going to be our cruise booking. I have been searching to see whether there is any feedback which shows that the cruise line has successfully addressed the issues raised. In particular, poor food, inadequate coordination, faulty air conditioning and the failing funnel? So far without success. Has anyone got any recent updates?

Richard

Hi, we are booked on the Carthage to be Deleted Cruise on Aegean Odyssey and have been looking forward to it. However after reading the torrent of negative feedback about V2A on this and other cruise review sites, if anything is to be deleted its probably going to be our cruise booking. I have been searching to see whether there is any feedback which shows that the cruise line has successfully addressed the issues raised. In particular, poor food, inadequate coordination, faulty air conditioning and the failing funnel? So far without success. Has anyone got any recent updates?

Richard

The problem is that the cruise that just completed was either a charter or some sort of "re-tooling" cruise for the ship. So we're unlikely to hear any reviews from that one. It's this next one (the one where supposedly most problems have been addressed) that I'm quite curious to hear reviews about....

The problem is that the cruise that just completed was either a charter or some sort of "re-tooling" cruise for the ship. So we're unlikely to hear any reviews from that one. It's this next one (the one where supposedly most problems have been addressed) that I'm quite curious to hear reviews about....

Yes, it's this July 27th cruise I want to hear about! Maybe someone will either post from onboard, or email a friend or travel agent who will then post. Keep hoping!

Yes, it's this July 27th cruise I want to hear about! Maybe someone will either post from onboard, or email a friend or travel agent who will then post. Keep hoping!

Thanks for your response Livestotravel. I take it from your blog id and comments that you are an experienced traveller and have long ago learned to go with the flow. However forewarned is forearmed and I do wish I'd read this website before I booked the cruise. Looks like you are booked on the August 10 "Pompei is something wonderful.." cruise which visits a beautiful part of the world. I would be very interested in any posts you make while you are travelling or when you return as I wrestle with what to do. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your response Livestotravel. I take it from your blog id and comments that you are an experienced traveller and have long ago learned to go with the flow. However forewarned is forearmed and I do wish I'd read this website before I booked the cruise. Looks like you are booked on the August 10 "Pompei is something wonderful.." cruise which visits a beautiful part of the world. I would be very interested in any posts you make while you are travelling or when you return as I wrestle with what to do. :confused:

Leaving tomorrow, and I will try to post from the ship. If that doesn't work out, I will write a review when I return.

I sentimentally hoped to be able to buy a music box in Sorrento - my mother and I were there 40 years ago, she bought one, and when going through her house after she passed away, I couldn't find it - silly, I know, but I'll be disappointed if we don't get there.

I guess they went to Naples instead because of rough seas at Sorrento, and I'm sure the Pompeii, Herculeum and Museum tours were still done. I have been checking weather and I think we may luck out with only 80's during the day, and clear skies - even cooler than NJ has been this summer!!

The narrow winding streets of old Naples are one of my favorite places to just walk and explore and be dazzled by all the rich history and architecture. It is not far from the port to enter into this "Spacconapoli" area and the several main pedestrian streets that give you a wonderful sense of drama and southern Italian life.

Naples has gotten much safer in the past years and it has cleaned itself up a lot. It is a great walking city now so I hope if you do get some time there you get a good guidebook that takes you a few blocks away from the dock area and into its central historic core.

Much of the dock area was bombed during WWII so its architecture is more modern and ugly, but the historic walking core is ancient, full of dazzling churches that are even more spectacular when you enter and all sort of palazzos, markets, pizza restaurants, gelato shops and delicious street food you can buy through a window or a at a sidewalk counter.

Additionally, the one hour ferry trip to Procida from the dock area is more of a delight than Capri in my opinion because it is smaller and less touristy and has some great little restaurants - Scarabo in a full cover lemon orchard is a favorite in this perfect movie set of an island where Il Postino was filmed as well as the lush mediterranean harbor scenes in the somewhat darker The Talented Mr Ripley with Matt Damon, Jude Law and Gwenyth Paltrow.

Still in Port. Arrived at the Port terminal hours before embarkation time, but were kindly permitted to check-in on the ship at 9:45 am. While it took until 1:30 pm to get our luggage, we were grateful not to have to wait until 2:00 pm to board!! We had time to relax on the pool lounges - the pool by the way has bars installed just under the sides so you can hang on to them if you don't want to swim. First impression - clean public areas and cabins, hard-working staff, so far appearing very organized, only 200 on board, lunch provided in the main dining room for the 30 or so early arrivals - and it was great. More in a day or two to address some of the other issues of concern. P.S. don't pay attention to the time on this post - it's 3 pm in Rome.

The safety rails are in, don't know if the ladder is longer than it was - just for you guys, I'll go in the pool one of these days to see how it goes!

We had a hot, but pleasant day in Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii - August not the best time to be in the Med.

Some of your concerns: I thought the lifeboat drill was good - first met in groups in the lounge, so not standing outside all hot waiting for the stragglers. Headcount taken, then shown how to arrange yourself if you have to jump in the water (never saw that before), and then, unlike some cruise ships, we went as a group to our life boat station on the deck.

Soot: It's improved from what some of you reported - I forgot myself this morning, well, it was 6:45 am, and sat outside at the Terrace Cafe with white pants - and no dirt or soot - whew. Did spot a speck or two on some white chairs on Lido - guess you just have to watch it!

Great orientation talk by Linda last night - found out the cabin has a nightlight, and a pull out desk! Also, my cabin has the lip for the shower, my friends does not, so it depends on your cabin. Both have the line in the shower to pull across to dry your clothes.

You complained and they listened - room service tea or coffee & buns before 6 am. Then full breakfast followed at nine with continental for late sleepers - and that is in effect until one hour before lunch. Coffee & Tea on Lido 24 hours a day.

Thanks for the update. This is very good to hear -- relieves a few worries, anyway. I am looking forward to hearing more from you as the cruise goes on.

Can you tell if the tender or tenders is/are new? I would also like to know what your experience is with port times and tours -- are they operating on schedule for the most part, or are times getting shortened?

Thanks, Livestotravel, for taking the time to give us CURRENT information that we are all so eager to hear!!

What about the lips on the stairways? What type and where is your cabin? Glad to hear about the improvements. It's probably silly, but I'm greatly cheered by the fact that coffee is available whenever you need it in the mornings--that was more of an issue for me than the pool. :D

Hope you have a nice big hat to make the hot temps more bearable and that the A/C on board is working. And especially hope you are enjoying yourself!!

I'm in a J class, on 4th deck, with two twin beds. Plenty of room for my things - shorter things can hang over the safe, and that's on top of a cabinet with four small drawers. The other half of the closet can hold your longer dresses, slacks, etc. There were 20 hangers, none for slacks or skirts, but you can ask for some. My bureau has four pretty large drawers - of course there is just me in the cabin, but seems to be plenty of room.

There are lips on the stairs as well as prominent 'watch you step' signs, and also 'mind your head'. Didn't see a lip around the dance floor. Air Con working well for everyone as far as I know. If you are under 5'4 though, you may need a step stool to adjust it - the adjustment is on the ceiling.

Tenders: I don't see a new one, but there is so much help getting on and off it hasn't been a problem, even for someone with difficulties. Sure, I'd like to see more modern ones, but they are okay. There is a handrail to hold onto as you go down the steps.

They held the captain's reception at 7:00 pm last night - we didn't get back from Paestum until 6. All the men wore suits or sport jackets, and women dressed up a bit, fancy tops, some long dresses and skirts. There was champagne and reception line but NO PHOTOGRAPHERS - in fact no one has bothered us taking pictures the whole trip so far. There was champagne, wine, and mixed drinks - anything you wanted - and they passed around appetizers. After introductions, it was down to a great meal in Marco Polo.

Soot - okay - spotted a couple of specks today, and just asked for a napkin lay down on the chair - this is outside the Terrace Cafe. My friend took yoga yesterday, and said the fumes from the smokestack were overwhelming - they've moved the class inside. They are really responsive to the problems -

Just for you guys I went for a swim yesterday morning - really refreshing - and for those who asked - along with the safety rails all around, the ladder reaches far into the pool and at the last step you are in up to your chest or so depending on your height. So whether that was added I don't know. It was lovely sitting around the pool, a pod of dolphins was following the ship, and a waiter came around with fruit! Nice.

Someone is onboard doing a ship review for Cruise Critic, so you should be looking for that.

I'll more more specific about my particular itinerary when I do a trip report once I am home. Haven't heard one complaint - seems everyone I talk to is loving this trip!!

LivestoTravel, thanks so much for taking the time to write these reports. Greatly appreciated and exactly the attention to detail we have all been waiting for. Enjoy the rest of your time, and I know how hard it is to take time away from what you are doing to file these reports.

But considering all that has led up to this, these are very welcome reports and a good service to this fledgling company that is presenting us with a very unique travel opportunity. Looking forward to giving it good consideration next year. Sending you some "cyber-dollars" to help pay for the internet connection.:rolleyes:

Archived