Cigarettes - Need Immediate Answer!

Hey everyone,

Sorry for being last minute here - but I sail tomorrow morning on the Dream. My fiance smokes and we are debating whether or not we should pack a carton of cigarettes. Can you buy packs of cigarettes onboard in the shop when needed - or is it like when you buy alcohol, you dont recieve it until the night before the cruise?? Thanks!

We stopped smoking July 3, 2009. (almost a year.. Yippee) But, when we went in Oct 2008 on the Fascination, we bought several cartons and we were able to open them in our cabin and smoke them right then. You will get them alot cheaper on the ship than you will at home. You pay no taxes like you do at home. So yes i would definately buy a carton or two on board. However, you cannot buy anything from the shops until the ship is at sea so he may want to have enough to smoke until then. Also, there is a limit as to how many cartons you can take off of the ship per person.

Happy sailing .. i'm jealous :eek:.. we still have 99 days :( but at least we are in the double digits now! Enjoy your cruise!

Great, thanks for the quick response. I'm going to call Carnival to double check. I sailed back in 2007 and it worked that way, so I wanted to make sure it was still the same.

you can call carnival with the same question and get numerous answers.

I would believe the people here first before I would believe a member working for a cruiseline.

(If he smokes-- I would take some of my own--in case they dont have his brand.) plus the stores do not open until you get to international waters.

PS- Princess holds your smokes til the last night

Great, thanks for the quick response. I'm going to call Carnival to double check. I sailed back in 2007 and it worked that way, so I wanted to make sure it was still the same.

Just off the Spirit, and the cigarettes were $27 per carton or 2 cartons for $49. Since we paid $58 a carton before we left, we purchased 4 cartons on the ship. They say you can only have 1 carton per person, but we had 4 in our luggage and went through customs very easily.

However, the only brands they have are Newport, Newport Lights, Marlboro, Marlboro Lights, Marlboro Menthol, Kools, Benson & Hedges, and maybe Camel.

Also, if you are going to buy them, get them the first day or two because they sell out quickly since they are only about $2.70 a pack!!!!

Also, unlike liquor, you take them with you when you leave the shop. No hassles at all.

Enjoy your trip. Really thinking about the Dream for January. Would love to see a review when you get back.

However, the only brands they have are Newport, Newport Lights, Marlboro, Marlboro Lights, Marlboro Menthol, Kools, Benson & Hedges, and maybe Camel. .

this can change weekly. One cruise we could not get Newport products at all- Another one-- was Salems instead of Kools.

and sometimes you see Pall Mell instead of camels.

In the ports you want to be carefull of making sure the smokes you are buying are class A cigerettes.

Did the mistake once of a class B and boy do they burn quickly.

Did the mistake once of a class B and boy do they burn quickly.

The class A cigarettes are made for Americans and they intentionally make them harder to smoke (burn slower) so you have to inhale more deeply and get more nicotine.

Enjoy your trip. Really thinking about the Dream for January. Would love to see a review when you get back.

Thanks! I will definitely be posting a review along with hundreds of pictures as soon as I get back!

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I went to NH & bought a few packs for him (8.27 a pack in MA, 6.34 in NH)

Archived