I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

1 in the morning, just outside in front of my house, I wanted to do a little night shot - super dark conditions (pretty much nothing in this shot could be seen with the naked eye save the two lights on the distant houses). Using an Osawa (Pentax K mount) 28mm F2.8 lens at F8, manually focused, ISO800, I did an in-camera HDR exposure using 7,15, and 30 second exposures (stacked in camera), then pushed the photo 2 more stops in post-processing for an ISo3200 equivalent:...

I know - a lot of work for a regular-looking result - but I love the idea of shooting a scene that is essentially pitch-black to the eye, and finding all kinds of interesting detail, light, and color hidden within. It's also interesting how much light is actually bleeding around that is beyond our human visual range - gives you some idea of how an animal with good night vision might be seeing the night landscape.

original.jpg

Very cool exercise. I am practicing some night photography myself. I just can't get the weather to cooperate with my plans.

Thanks for sharing!

What a beautiful Spring day you enjoyed. I really like the image of the lake with the dock leading into the middle of the frame. Is that a wild turkey you captured? I'm really jealous...still raining here. We supposedly live in the desert. I should pinch myself for complaining. I will be more grateful for this extra moisture come August :).

What a beautiful Spring day you enjoyed. I really like the image of the lake with the dock leading into the middle of the frame. Is that a wild turkey you captured? I'm really jealous...still raining here. We supposedly live in the desert. I should pinch myself for complaining. I will be more grateful for this extra moisture come August :).

Thanks! The "dock" is actually part of a walkway that runs through the grounds of the Virginia Living Museum. The wild turkey is actually captive in one of the animal enclosures along the trail. The turkeys were with the deer. Other areas have foxes, coyote, vultures, eagles, bobcat, otters, and several others, all in their natural habitats. There is also a huge screened aviary with many birds native to our area including herons, pelicans, ducks, etc. There are many indoor exhibits and a planetarium. It is a great learning resource for the local school children (and adults!). More photos from the day are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/judymnorth/VirginiaLivingMuseum#

BTW, it is raining today and much colder than yesterday. :(

Looks like the ship barely fits!

Nice Australia coast shots - that looks mighty private and quiet.

Dave - using the lens baby on the big camera, or the little one?

Here's a couple of shots testing out a new (old) lens I got used - it's a Chinon 135mm F2.8 prime, which uses Pentax K-mount, slapped onto my NEX via adapter - I love that you can pull up some of these old lenses for $20 and get optics so sharp you could cut yourself!:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Yes!

My Lensbaby is A-mount which is more versatile than the smaller E-mount (and I bought it before the E-mount existed). The LA-EA1 adapter lets me flip between the two as desired. I find myself using it on the NEX more often since the flex spot manual focus makes it easier to get the sweet spot tack-sharp.

I tried it today doing 1080 video using the Lensbaby with the Sweet 35 optic on the NEX and I have to say,the NEX makes one heck of a fine video camera!

With your new-found addiction to bolting things onto your NEX, there's no acceptable reason not to own a Lensbaby!

Dave

Looks like the ship barely fits!

Nice Australia coast shots - that looks mighty private and quiet.

Here's a couple of shots testing out a new (old) lens I got used - it's a Chinon 135mm F2.8 prime, which uses Pentax K-mount, slapped onto my NEX via adapter - I love that you can pull up some of these old lenses for $20 and get optics so sharp you could cut yourself!:

original.jpg

Thanks, Justin - yes, it's a very nice area for a peaceful walk or a refreshing swim (if the water is not too cold ...)

Love the above photo!