I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Thanks! I too love shallow DOF. Any chance I get I use my 50mm f/1.8 lens but I'm also learning how to achieve bokeh other ways. Can't wait to try Peterson's exercise using Christmas lights (just have to haul them out!)

Andrea

You really need to try it. It is a lot of fun and not just for the Holidays either. There are also tutorials online with instructions on how to turn the lights into shaped bokeh like stars and hearts, etc. Be sure to post here when you complete your image. I cant wait to see what you create!

5258919331_4ddf2549ed_z.jpg

Dileep - Really like the purple wild flowers in the foreground. You are blessed to live so close to such beauty and you capture it so well.

Duzzy - Your first attempt a fireworks? Are you sure? They look great! A good fireworks image contunues to elude me.

Pierces - I like Larry's calorie counter better :).

Duzzy - Your first attempt a fireworks? Are you sure? They look great! A good fireworks image contunues to elude me.

Thanks! I've wanted to try for so long, but either I don't have my DSLR and/or tripod when I see fireworks or I miss all the fireworks. So, I've had plenty of time to read and test settings on my camera. When I set up the other night, I was pretty sure of what I wanted to do. The first few shots were iffy, I changed a couple things until I felt satisfied. They looked fine on the display and I was pleasantly pleased when I pulled them up on the computer.

The next time I'll just wish for open space. My location ended up being between a group of trucks, trailers, and other vendor tents. Though, there were no people. So, I felt my camera was safest there.

Today I thought I'd try using my 75-300mm f/4-5.6 kit lens. I think I lucked out with the bald eagle!

Young bald eagle learning to "make the rounds"

d716da5a.jpg

Andrea

Nice shots Andrea - bird and wildlife shots are always fun. Just wanted to add a little ID to the above - it looks like in your shot above what you've actually captured is an Osprey, rather than a bald eagle. Ospreys (aka Sea Eagles) are similar in size, but are usually very distinguishable from the black band across their eye and down the neck:

original.jpg

I'm basing it from what I can see in your shot - the head is a little dark to see for sure, but it does look like it's got the osprey stripe. But I also have never had the chance to photograph a bald eagle...so I can't say I have any experience with those! Ospreys we have many of down in Florida, and I see and photograph them often.

You really need to try it. It is a lot of fun and not just for the Holidays either. There are also tutorials online with instructions on how to turn the lights into shaped bokeh like stars and hearts, etc. Be sure to post here when you complete your image. I cant wait to see what you create!

5258919331_4ddf2549ed_z.jpg

Dileep - Really like the purple wild flowers in the foreground. You are blessed to live so close to such beauty and you capture it so well.

Pierces - I like Larry's calorie counter better :).

Great picture! Bokeh and Christmas/holidays - two of my favourite things! I'll definitely post the results of my experiments :)

Nice shots Andrea - bird and wildlife shots are always fun. Just wanted to add a little ID to the above - it looks like in your shot above what you've actually captured is an Osprey, rather than a bald eagle. Ospreys (aka Sea Eagles) are similar in size, but are usually very distinguishable from the black band across their eye and down the neck:

original.jpg

I'm basing it from what I can see in your shot - the head is a little dark to see for sure, but it does look like it's got the osprey stripe. But I also have never had the chance to photograph a bald eagle...so I can't say I have any experience with those! Ospreys we have many of down in Florida, and I see and photograph them often.

I think you might be right! It's so hard to tell between a young bald eagle and an Osprey. In hindsight this bird was hovering quite a bit and did take a dive with a not so graceful splash into the water. I thought it was because it was still learning! I took a look through some of the other pics and I can see that the head is white - bald eagles are brown until they mature. Thanks for the insight!

f92c1944.jpg

Question for you, as I know you take a lot of beautiful wildlife photographs. I've been looking at an 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 lens that will be multi-purpose for travel because of it's range, but will also give me more reach (I think that's the correct terminology) for zoom capability. It's about half the cost of some of the more costly lenses and gets decent reviews for what it is. In the case of the Osprey pics, would I get better results, i.e. more definition, with a lens like that? Thanks for your help!

Andrea

Question for you, as I know you take a lot of beautiful wildlife photographs. I've been looking at an 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 lens that will be multi-purpose for travel because of it's range, but will also give me more reach (I think that's the correct terminology) for zoom capability. It's about half the cost of some of the more costly lenses and gets decent reviews for what it is. In the case of the Osprey pics, would I get better results, i.e. more definition, with a lens like that? Thanks for your help!

My guess? No. While your basic 75-300mm isn't a super-high quality telephoto, it is probably very near the overall quality of a superzoom-type lens like an 18-200mm. Some 18-200 or 18-250 lenses are actually pretty good - sometimes better than kit lenses, but usually are best in the middle of their focal ranges and stopped down a bit - so shooting at max telephoto, and aperture wide open, likely won't get you any detail advantages over the 75-300 - not to mention having a lot less reach!

I'd get the 18-200 or similar lens for the sake of travel convenience and one-lens solutions - they are great for that, and my 18-250mm lens gets a ton of use, despite the fact that I have 7 other lenses...just because it's so convenient and still of very good quality. But though I occasionally use it for light duty wildlife, zoo, or emergency type shots, if I know I'm going to go shoot wildlife or nature shots, I'll switch to a more dedicated lens. If you really think it's a type of photography you're going to enjoy often or get into, better to save up for a nice long-reach telephoto for $700-1000 that can really increase both detail and reach. Otherwise, your 75-300 is probably going to do about as well, or even a little better, than an 18-200 just because of the extra reach it provides.

Looks like a beautiful day for a hike. What a pretty little doe you came across.

We drove to points of interest a took short walks on the pavement. Most of the hiking trails are still snow covered. The deer photos were taken from the car windows at close distance.

We drove to points of interest a took short walks on the pavement. Most of the hiking trails are still snow covered. The deer photos were taken from the car windows at close distance.

Gorgeous. It's almost 100 here in El Paso - those snow covered mountains sure look inviting.

Great air show shots. Are the people on the bridge being held back because the aircraft are flying over the bridge or are they lined up for some kind of run / walk event?

They close the bridge during the air show and allow people to walk on to a part of the bridge. The Blue Angels fly low over the cleared portion. It is awesome to watch. We will go back again today!

Edited by dileep

They close the bridge during the air show and allow people to walk on to a part of the bridge. The Blue Angels fly low over the cleared portion. It is awesome to watch. We will go back again today!

Thanks. I have to wait until October for our air show. The Blue Angels will be our headliner too. I need to get out and practice with my new camera before then.

Thanks. I have to wait until October for our air show. The Blue Angels will be our headliner too. I need to get out and practice with my new camera before then.

Well, today was clear and we saw the high show!

Given that both my wife and I have extremely brown thumbs, I thought that I should get an image of this orchid before we ruined it.;)

original.jpg

Larry

Lovely photo :) I love orchids but once the blooms finish I just end up with a stick and then nothing ever seems to happen after that!!

Andrea

My guess? No. While your basic 75-300mm isn't a super-high quality telephoto, it is probably very near the overall quality of a superzoom-type lens like an 18-200mm. Some 18-200 or 18-250 lenses are actually pretty good - sometimes better than kit lenses, but usually are best in the middle of their focal ranges and stopped down a bit - so shooting at max telephoto, and aperture wide open, likely won't get you any detail advantages over the 75-300 - not to mention having a lot less reach!

I'd get the 18-200 or similar lens for the sake of travel convenience and one-lens solutions - they are great for that, and my 18-250mm lens gets a ton of use, despite the fact that I have 7 other lenses...just because it's so convenient and still of very good quality. But though I occasionally use it for light duty wildlife, zoo, or emergency type shots, if I know I'm going to go shoot wildlife or nature shots, I'll switch to a more dedicated lens. If you really think it's a type of photography you're going to enjoy often or get into, better to save up for a nice long-reach telephoto for $700-1000 that can really increase both detail and reach. Otherwise, your 75-300 is probably going to do about as well, or even a little better, than an 18-200 just because of the extra reach it provides.

This has been super helpful - thanks! I picked up the 18-200 lens this weekend and it's a great lens. I have to say the quality is much better than the 75-300 kit lens, which I noted when cropping a few photos today. And I loved not switching between lenses to capture different types of shots. I did realize today though that the 75-300 does have more reach and I missed it when I came across a Heron and some seaplanes taking off this afternoon. For a beginner like me, there really is nothing like taking the lenses out and using them to really get to know what works for different situations. I think I will eventually be saving up for a dedicated birding/wildlife lens because I am just loving this kind of photography!

Andrea

I think I've taken my camera out more in this past week and a half than in the past year and a half! Here are a few pics:

Practicing with the 75-300mm lens at a local conservatory:

e4a3cb71.jpg

47fb73c7.jpg

2d176818.jpg

This guy was on the ground inching toward my leg and I had my 50mm lens on the camera and got this effect:

7f134611.jpg

Trying out my new 18-200mm lens today, captured this dragonfly:

516e4cd4.jpg

Have a great week everyone!

Andrea