I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Here's a link to all my Ft. Monroe pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102720032296955701968/FortMonroeVirginia#

That is actually a functioning lighthouse. As you can see, we have very little fall color here. I suppose it has been too warm for pretty color. I am enjoying seeing the colors elsewhere through your picture.

Beautiful photos Judy. I am not sure if I would rather take the warmer weather or the beautiful fall foliage. Unfortunately, we've had neither here in the city.

Hi Britter! That photo is lovely. Looks like it could be just up the road in High Park on the trails. :)

Beautiful photos Judy. I am not sure if I would rather take the warmer weather or the beautiful fall foliage. Unfortunately, we've had neither here in the city.

Hi Britter! That photo is lovely. Looks like it could be just up the road in High Park on the trails. :)

I miss the colors too but we still have time here. Peak on the coast isn't until early to mid-November. It just doesn't seem that there is much early color at all. At Ft. Monroe there are so many live oaks, pines, and evergreens that you don't see much color even on a good year. This is particularly true inside the moat.

Britter, your picture is beautiful. It definitely calls you to take a walk down the road through the fallen leaves.

Just back from a cruise this week, and still going through my final batch of photos to get uploaded in my cruise gallery...but in the meantime I uploaded a few of my throwaway shots that won't make the gallery cut, and figured while I'm still trying to get all the keepers up, I'd share a few of the culled ones! And finally, I can share some fall colors of my own (first fall colors I've seen in 14 years!!) as this cruise was a repositioning from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale. Here are a few throwaway fall color shots:

Quebec city, Quebec:

8FCFD5339955441DBE88724EB9B80B8A.jpg

Chicoutimi, Quebec:

1BBFD1E2FACA478991BE2E581FB0DBA8.jpg

1A70C7AFD91C4651B625C3D2388D443A.jpg

Gaspe, Quebec:

A9823DA0C2734AA8BB70D158725EC1C6.jpg

Bar Harbor, Maine:

280DC0FBB47A46F9A2542820751F732F.jpg

Hopefully soon, I can get all the main gallery keeper shots uploaded - I'm just going through resizing them all for upload tonight. Lots more fall color and scenics in the keeper batch!

Thanks Judy - credit though must go to the gorgeous Canadian east and U.S. Northeast, with all of the opportunities it gave me that these aren't the keepers (I'm reconsidering maybe the first one here). I use this other 'gallery' on another board as sort of a junk gallery where I might put up some shots that otherwise didn't make my PBase gallery - sometimes they're not flubbed photos, but just not as nice as another...in this case I had more than 2,000 shots to sort through, and was trying to knock it down to about 200 to post online, so that squeezed out some of the photos that were on the fence!

Last month our Department of Natural Resources was predicting that this fall would be the best for fall colors in 10 years and they were correct. The problem was that we were on a cruise during part of it and when I returned I was just too busy with work to take the time to get out and capture the beauty.

My favorite light is right after after a storm when the sun is low on the horizon. On my way home from work a storm had just come through and I was thinking conditions were ripe for a rainbow. Five minutes later one appeared and I spent 10 minutes driving around for a scene that did not have buildings,roads and cars in it.

i-ZVFvNW5-XL.jpg

i-RcXZhPs-XL.jpg

While returning from our cruise late in the afternoon we flew over an area close to our home. The colors over a lake looked pretty, so as soon as we got home from the airport I played with the the dog for a bit then told my wife I'd be back in a while. People were out really enjoying the beautiful afternoon.

i-2z4kjwg-XL.jpg

i-D3c2K3L-XL.jpg

i-X25wTqJ-XL.jpg

i-Qm3FdPM-XL.jpg

Edited by mnbruce

Great stuff, Roff & Bruce...I was always jealous seeing those warm, rich colors of fall you guys get, which is why I was finally happy to get a chance to see such color myself. I've finally got my cruise photo gallery finished up, so here are a few more of the 'official' fall color shots:

Some tiny little town along the St. Lawrence:

original.jpg

La Pulperie of Chicoutimi, Quebec:

original.jpg

Layers of color coming in along the Saguenay:

original.jpg

Backlit tree in Acadia National Park, Maine:

original.jpg

The coastline of Acadia National Park:

original.jpg

Those are beautiful Justin, as are the ones I've seen so far in your gallery. For some reason our recent cruise stopped in Portland rather than Bar Harbor. The only place on our cruise that had some nice color was the Fundy Trail in New Brunswick, but it was dark and rainy while we were there so it would have been tough to get good images.

I had the same problem in Newport and Gloucester - I got some photos there, but they aren't the best because it was overcast badly in Gloucester, and heavy rain in Newport. I can't complain as the first 7 ports were so lovely that having the last two be a little less so is nothing to sneeze at - it can certainly be a lot worse up there in October!

Thank you both.

Yesterday I was hoping to go out birding, but instead was greeted with 90% chance of rain, heavy overcast, and off and on downpours, so no chance to go to the birding spots. Fortunately, some birds visited the front and back yard, and it was a nice opportunity to test the new camera in bad light. Needed ISO1600 for these, and all were shot JPG - the new camera likes low light even more than my last one!:

White-winged doves:

original.jpg

Male northern cardinal:

original.jpg

Female (or juvie) northern cardinal:

original.jpg

original.jpg

All were with my Minolta 300mm F4 APO lens with APO II 1.4x TC, mounted on my new Sony A580. I wsa more than willing to use ISO1600 with my A550, but it would show a little graininess and need some cleanup work for tight crops - the A580 is ready to go straight out of the camera at ISO1600 - good news, as birding often requires high sensitivity in shadowed areas and overcast skies.

Always happy to have a chance to get my fav--snow on foliage. This weekend however was a new one for even us crazies.

DSC_0484.JPG

DSC_0488.JPG

DSC_0496.JPG

DSC_0509.JPG

DSC_0525.JPG

DSC_0537.JPG

Friday AM we had 4 inches, mostly gone by our PM Halloween parade at school. Sunday AM we woke up to about 24, and about 24 hours without power to go with it.