I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Singing-Christmas-Tree-PRBC-M.jpg

Singing-Christmas-Tree-PRBC-M.jpg

Shot the Singing Christmas Tree again this year... with much better glass ( EF 24-70mm and 100mm Macro both F 2.8 @ 800 and 1600 ISO on a Canon T1i... can't wait until next year when I order my 5D MK II). Sure beats the ones I took with my Sigma 18-250mm last year. Good glass is GREAT!!!

The-Beauty-of-Linville-Gorge-M.jpg

Cathedral-Falls-348-M.jpg

I have also been spending almost all of my free time in the Linville Gorge Wilderness Area (the Grand Canyon of the East located in Western NC) as of late! Hiking and making photographs... what else could be better???

Shadow-of-Power-M.jpg

photo-1-M.jpg

i really love playing around with my iPhone 4S (that camera on that thing is amazing!) and Snapseed software (the Nik Software Guys). Great combo! It is hard to believe you can take a picture on your smartphone, edit it , and then upload it to the internet all from the SAME device! Love this photographic technology!

On of my favorite statues in Washington, DC is the larger-than-life bronze of Albert Einstein by Robert Berks (who also created the JFK bust in the Kennedy Center). We happened to be driving by today when I noticed that the statue has a holiday decoration; fortunately, I had my camera with me; unfortunately, there was no place to park on busy Constitution Avenue. While my partner risked a ticket in a no-standing zone, I hopped out and shot quickly. (I have no idea who the woman in Albert's lap is, but I consider her helpful perspective! :))

Happy holidays!

SantaAlbert_01.jpg

On of my favorite statues in Washington, DC is the larger-than-life bronze of Albert Einstein by Robert Berks (who also created the JFK bust in the Kennedy Center). We happened to be driving by today when I noticed that the statue has a holiday decoration; fortunately, I had my camera with me; unfortunately, there was no place to park on busy Constitution Avenue. While my partner risked a ticket in a no-standing zone, I hopped out and shot quickly. (I have no idea who the woman in Albert's lap is, but I consider her helpful perspective! :))

Happy holidays!

SantaAlbert_01.jpg

I like that!!

Happy Holidays to you too!

Weekend trip to Vegas with friends.

A touch of Christmas in Sin City...

Bellagio Lobby:

p517002137-5.jpg

Lensbaby Poinsettias

p149896886-4.jpg

Bellagio Gardens

p67727063-5.jpg

Christmas Spread

p519113971-5.jpg

Carnation Polar Bear

p246535887-4.jpg

Sugar Factory Ornament

p180837467-4.jpg

Dave

Nice photos, Dave. I particularly like the Lensbaby treatment.

Larry

Thanks Larry!

The poinsettia layers is Lensbaby but the polar bear is actually a new faux tilt-shift/miniature effect straight out of the camera. Still finding shiny nuggets while testing the stuff in the menus.

Dave

a new faux tilt-shift/miniature effect straight out of the camera

That's an option in that new A77? I didn't even realize they were putting that in new cameras until I read a review of the T3i this morning.

Very nice additional photos. We haven't been to Sin City in quite a while.

Larry

That's an option in that new A77? I didn't even realize they were putting that in new cameras until I read a review of the T3i this morning.

Larry

Yeah, It has all the standard stuff plus some really neat settings like Soft-Focus and an Auto-HDR mode that snaps 3 images at the highest frame rate with up to 6 EV spread that are merged in-camera. Works amazingly well even when hand-held. Purists will scoff at the gimmicks (like they scoffed at autofocus and pop-up flashes;)) but they are there if I find a use for them and they don't add any weight!

I'm really enjoying the familiarization period. New features make me look for ways to use them and anything that goads me to go out and take pictures is a good thing!

Larry

Thanks again! We haven't been there in a year. A bit of a mood mix with the crowds in the hotels and a bunch of empty houses in our friends' once-flourishing neighborhood.

Dave

Well last week I took my 'other' favorite vacation which I do every few months, at Disney World. It's especially fun at Christmas time - part of which I like to spend visiting various Disney resort hotels to check out their Christmas trees and displays. Here are a few of the resort Christmas trees this year:

Animal Kingdom Lodge Christmas tree:

original.jpg

The Yacht Club tree:

original.jpg

At the Beach Club, they've got the food carousel, made of gingerbread and chocolate:

original.jpg

Polynesian has the Christmas tree decorated with fruits and tropical flowers:

original.jpg

Grand Floridian has their huge Christmas tree decorated with mini-elevator cars:

original.jpg

Wilderness Lodge's soaring lobby tree:

original.jpg

Grand Floridian also has a huge gingerbread-and-chocolate house which actually has a store inside:

original.jpg

Wilderness Lodge's other pine-themed ornamentation and lights:

original.jpg

At Yacht Club, they've set up an intricate miniature Christmas Village that spreads out over about 20 feet by 10 feet...lots of inredible detail in that little village, so here are a few closeups:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

All shots in both posts taken with my Sony A580, handheld at higher ISOs, with my 18-250mm lens (I was traveling light with a friend so no tripod or long exposure shots!).

test

294745_10150282628969037_519959036_7901368_3018011_n.jpg

Taken with EOS 60D with EF 24-105mm f/4L

304110_10150344418614037_519959036_8261643_1844971843_n.jpg

Taken with EOS 60D on 900mm reflector telescope - post editing had to be done to bring up shadows and dull down brightness.

393454_10150423116839037_519959036_8574708_1506235239_n.jpg

Taken with EOS 60D with EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L lens. Belt of Orion with the Orion Nebula visible. From Southern hempisphere the constellation is inverted.

IMG_0210.jpg.ed63b60b3d231c87369fb0687f4a67cd.jpg

Edited by Sutho
learning to include photos properly

I have spent hours looking at all these pictures and am very impressed with all of them. The only camera I have is a point and shoot that has served my limited abilities well, but I'm ready to make the jump to DSLR. Sure hope my DH was paying attention to my Christmas wish list I emailed him. I asked for one thing, attached a pic of it, where to buy it and a map to get to the store. I hope I made it easy enough for him to get me a Nikon. I have learned a lot from all the experience on these threads, but still have a lot more to learn. Hopefully, soon, I can post some of my shots on here. Thanks for sharing all of these, they are great!