How formal are RC cruises?

Hi,

Ive been on one cruise (an NCL one). I want to go on another one and i quite fancy royal caribbean.

Although I dont want to go on a formal ship... or have formal dining. Im a fussy, vegetarian eater and liked the 'serve myself any weird concoctions I want' in the NCL dining room. I also just want to keep myself to myself and dont want to be made to sit next to other people I dont know...

so, how formal are royal caribbean cruises? and are there any informal dining options?

If not, anyone know of any other cruise lines that do the informal thing?

Thanks!

You could eat in the WJ on formal nights...shorts are fine there, and you can make up whatever concoctions you want!

Even with My Time Dining, the dress code is the same as for traditional dining.

All but 2 evenings will be "casual"....not shorts, but slacks, capris, shirt.....

RC cruised can be as informal or as formal as you want it to be. If you do not want to set at a table for 4--6 or more, just sign up for My time dining, of course, you will have prepaid gratuities, if that is an issue, but you can request a table for one. Neat thing about the new set up is that the tables for 2 are set pretty close together and you can or cannot talk to the people at the next table. Also on last cruise I chose to eat when I wanted to and rarely saw the people again.

Virtually all cruise ships have a buffet dining room. HAL calls it the Lido - RCI the Windjammer.

And most have some kind of "my time dining" in the main dining room where you eat whenever you want (within a particular time frame) rather than eating at one of two set times at an assigned table.

DH and I had my time dining on our HAL cruise this spring - worked out great. We got our table for 2 and could go whenever we wanted.

There is a lot of flexibility on RCL for the formality. On non-formal nights, as long as you are wearing clothes that would be appropriate for an office environment, you'll be fine. As others mentioned, you can always opt out of the main dining room and eat in the Windjammer. For better or worse, the formality of dining will not represent an awards show.

There will be some vegetarian choices in the MDR. If you really want to be alone, you might go to the buffet instead for dinner. Or go to both. I always say, there are no "or's" on a cruise ship.

Archived