Pre trip gratuities.

I was just readind the thread "What is expected standard service" and it brought up a question.

"Who gives their cabin steward a pre-cruise-tip?" and then finishes the cruise with more to finish the tipping process.

Never. And I've never gotten less than perfect service on RCI despite not pre-tipping.

Incidentally, I've had "dud" attendants on both Carnival and Princess, both of which have autotips, which I think is counterproductive because if they already have the tip, then there is no need to earn it.

Never. And I've never gotten less than perfect service on RCI despite not pre-tipping.

Incidentally, I've had "dud" attendants on both Carnival and Princess, both of which have autotips, which I think is counterproductive because if they already have the tip, then there is no need to earn it.

I am wondering if this is why we didnt get the usual standard of service , we were on my time dining so had prepaid the gratuaties , we did tip him an extra $20 but it didnt seem appreciated ( we thought we may have undertipped )you shouldnt get any differant a service depending on which way you tip ,surely they are shown what they should do as a standard part of the service .

There are some who think they get better service by pre-tipping, but when they list the extra or better service received, it's exactly the same service we have without pre-tipping.

I hardly know anyone, especially people who depend on tips, who will refuse your uneeded cash.

We always prepay our tips and had such wonderful service from our Head Waiter, Waiter, Asst. Waiter and Room Steward on FOS. I can't imagine they'd have been any better or worse depending on how and when you tip, they were just fantastic. :)

We've never tipped before service...and have always had better service than expected....there's simply no need to "pre" tip. Even when you pre-pay, they do NOT recieve the tips until the end of the cruise.

Archived