Austrian Lake District

From an AMA cruise down the Danube, one of our choices, on one day, is to visit the Austrian Lake District (the Salzkammergut), including the town of Gmunden and the Castle Ort. Our other choices are Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg. Is anyone familiar with the Lake District? We are having trouble making a choice from these three options because the beautiful countryside appeals more than another little old town. Both of the latter two have been recommended, but no one seems to know much about the Lake District.

I know this does not seem to be the proper forum to post about Austria, but there is no Eastern Europe forum. I emailed for help but the "help" I got was particularly inept.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this matter.

Hi, suggest you post your request on another site, Tripadvisordotcom. Just click on Forums, Europe, and then Austria.

I've read and saved lots of great tips on this site, when planning our European land trips. Trust this helps. Enjoy your river cruise!

Hi, Thanks....I did post this question on the River Cruise forum, but no one who responded has ever done the excursion to the Lake District. Apparently it is new. I have also posted on TripAdvisor Austria forum and got lots of info about Gmunden, etc.

I gather from all responses I have gotten everywhere, the choice should be made based on what the traveler likes to look at: historic buildings and towns or historic landscapes and scenery. I think we are going to opt for the landscapes and scenery, since there will be lots of other historic buildings and towns along our cruise.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

As you stated, this is a matter of what you want to see. Both Cesky Krumlov and Satzburg are lovely (but very overrun with tourists), but for scenery the Salzkammergut is hard to beat. This is an area well know to Germans and Austrians but pretty much undiscovered by American tourists. Quite lovely.

Have a good trip.

Archived