Celebrity vs RCCL for Holy Land cruise

Lisou

Bonjour,

We are currently booked on RCCL`s Vision OS Holy Land and Greek Isles cruise out of Venice for late Oct but unfortunately, it looks like we might need to change our dates to cruise sooner so now it is back to the ``drawing board``. We are looking into September. RCCL`s earliest Holy Land cruise is offered on Sept 24 so I found a Holy Land cruise earlier in Sept on the Celebrity Equinox out of Civitavecchia (Rome). I prefer Celebrity`s itinerary (it is also stopping in Greece), the round trip to Rome is more convenient for direct flights and the dates (earlier Sept) however, the cruise is almost three times the price of RCCL`s cruise. I am wondering if the Equinox is worth paying that much more than the Vision???

If it helps, here is info about us: I am a young widow (early 40s) travelling with my 7 yo daughter and my parents (late 60s). We are all mostly interested in culture and my daughter loves children`s program (even if there are not many kids on board). My daughter and I have cruised before but this will be my parents`first cruise. All of us have been to Europe before but first time to Holy Land for all of us.

Any advice or insight greatly appreciated!

Merci!

Either would be a fantastic cruise and we like both lines (for different reasons) but at 3 times the price? I couldn't justify that. If it were one of the luxury lines I'd certainly think about it, but not for Celebrity...... JMO.

is the Sept 24th date on RCCL still doable for you? If it is, i would go with that. Sure, having a better flight and itinerary may be great, but not at 3 times the price.

Enjoy the HOly Land. It is one beautiful and memorable place.

Thank you opera fan and Miss Rabbits for your comments.

To clarify the cost and itinerary of the Cruise: 1200$ CAD for Vision (12 nights 1-Venice, 2-Egypt, 2-Israel, 1-Turkey, 6 @ sea and round trip Venice) vs 3200$ CAD Equinox (13 nights, 2-Egypt, 2-Israel, 1-Turkey, 2-Greece, 1-Naples, 2 @ sea, round trip Rome)... in case it makes a difference - sorry I should have clarified!

Well, the Celebrity cruise is one day longer and also has a lot more ports (only 2 days at sea vs. 6 on RCCL) -- but that may not be important to you. If the stops in the Holy Land are most important, either should be fine.

Have you checked airfare? Roundtrip airfare from Rome may be less expensive. You have to consider the total cost.

Thank you opera fan and Miss Rabbits for your comments.

To clarify the cost and itinerary of the Cruise: 1200$ CAD for Vision (12 nights 1-Venice, 2-Egypt, 2-Israel, 1-Turkey, 6 @ sea and round trip Venice) vs 3200$ CAD Equinox (13 nights, 2-Egypt, 2-Israel, 1-Turkey, 2-Greece, 1-Naples, 2 @ sea, round trip Rome)... in case it makes a difference - sorry I should have clarified!

on the Equinox one, i only count 10 nights, where are the other 3?

Just checked it quickly... There are 4 sea days.

ahhh. so really the main difference is the one has 2 days in Greece while the other one has them as "sea days". Most of the other itinerary ports are either the same or similar.

i guess that leaves the question... "Is going to Greece for two days worth paying $2000/pp extra?"

Thank you so much Miss Rabbit and Opera fan -- you are wonderful, I don`t have to do anything, you answer for me:p!

Good point regarding comparing total cost of vacation...will check that out. To fly to Venice from Toronto, we need to go through Frankfurt as Air Canada has direct flights to Rome from Toronto at that time of year. Yes, we need to fly Air Canada, because we need to fly from our town to Toronto and to do Air Canada all the way is cheaper and more convenient than doing AC from our town to Toronto and then another airline Toronto to Europe.

Archived