LONG! Carnival Destiny Review & Photos ~ 6-14-10 ~ 5 days to Grand Turk, HMC & Nassau

The tender ride takes about 8 minutes from ship to shore and several of the island crew members are on hand to welcome us when we arrive at the marina. We exit the tender boat and follow the wide sidewalk about 50 feet or so, to the entrance to HMC. By the way, Half Moon Cay is the name that Holland America gave the half-moon-shaped stretch of beach when they bought the island in 1996. The island is actually called Little San Salvador. We step through the big archway into the massive courtyard area at 9:36 am.

100_3149.jpg?t=1279893155

I walk to the center of the courtyard and start taking pictures of the perimeter. This is the view of the back side of the archway entrance. See the inverted conch shells to the right? They encircle a large water fountain.

100_3154.jpg?t=1279915440

I turn to my left a little bit. Now the restrooms are straight ahead. The "Grand Opening" sign is referring to the new Lustre jewelry store, which is just out of view.

100_3153.jpg?t=1279915440

Turning just a bit more to the left, I snap a photo of the open-air stalls where several Bahamian ladies are selling t-shirts, hats, woven purses and the like. (Cash only and almost everything looks like it was made in a factory.) See the building on the far right? That's the jewelry store I mentioned above, and the sidewalk between the jewelry store and open-air stalls leads to the tram station. See the white door on the far left? That is the Post Office! Connected to the left side of the PO is Carnival's official HMC merchandise store (S&S card accepted here & everything looks to be high-quality). We take advantage of the 2 for $20 beach towel sale and also score a t-shirt & visor for the same price!

100_3151.jpg?t=1279915440

Panning just a bit more to left, yields a view of the courtyard's bar and covered patio. Notice several Carnival waiters with carts of drinks brought onshore from the ship. DS is waiting so patiently in the shade!

100_3159.jpg?t=1279915440

One more turn to the left completes my 360 degree circle of the courtyard. The Excursion Desk is now straight ahead in the small yellow hut, and the First Aid Station is in the building on the left.

100_3156.jpg?t=1279915440

The time is now 9:50 am. Let's go to the cabana! We head down the sidewalk beside the jewelry store and climb into one of the waiting trams. In just a few minutes, the driver drops us off at the path that leads to our cabana! Yay! Almost home!

UP NEXT: our cabana!

I've been glued to your posts for HOURS reading away! We're first-time cruisers and my nerves have been on edge, worried about Storm Bonnie and not sure if I've packed right... You have made me RELAX and know what to expect. Thank You!

Thank you so much for your review, I’m a first time cruiser and will be on the Destiny in November. Unfortunately it is not the same itinerary that you took, but you have given some very helpful hints. Please keep on with the review, can’t wait for the rest...:)

I've been glued to your posts for HOURS reading away! We're first-time cruisers and my nerves have been on edge, worried about Storm Bonnie and not sure if I've packed right... You have made me RELAX and know what to expect. Thank You!

Have a fabulous time and please know that you are in very good hands. We had the wonderful opportunity to meet the Captain during the Behind The Fun Tour (on the last day, from 9 am to noon while in port at Nassau). No matter what Bonnie does, Carnival WILL keep you safe and the staff WILL make sure you have a great cruise. BTW ~ I highly recommend the Behind The Fun Tour. It costs $55 per person and you get to see the bridge, galley, crew quarters, back-stage, laundry, food & liquor store-rooms and more! Sign up at the Excursion Desk AS SOON as you board. It sells out quickly! Tell the Captain and the tour guide that you heard about it on CC from a recent past passenger (and that we LOVED the tour!). You will make thier day! :) Happy sailing and I wish I was going with you!

Thank you so much for your review, I’m a first time cruiser and will be on the Destiny in November. Unfortunately it is not the same itinerary that you took, but you have given some very helpful hints. Please keep on with the review, can’t wait for the rest...:)

Hello... and you are very welcome! I am sooo excited for you... the Destiny is a PERFECT ship for a first-time cruise and we can't wait to sail her again real soon. We booked another last minute cruise last week (the Inspiration, leaving in 2 weeks... yay!) and I can tell you the ONLY reason we aren't going on Destiny again this time is because ALL THE CABINS WERE SOLD OUT! I was so bummed! LOL! I will be adding more to the review tomorrow... tune in if you can! :D

LOL,what THIS Bonnie is going to do is to find a way to get back on the Destiny.I loved this itinerary,and today its really hot and muggy here,so I have been reliving one of my best beach days ever with your review.We had the yellow Cabana,cant remember the number....it was wonderful.

And I second what you say about the Capt and crew having only your safety in mind,they will keep you safe.Enjoy your cruise:)

BTW,we did a quick getaway on the Inspiration in June and will probably be there again in December.Loved it,have a great time

Could you please tell me the current price of a cabana? Did you have to book it as soon as you were on board? Thanks!

I'm curious to see what our wonderful tour guide CVQ paid. The Carnival website lists the excursion as $199, but a recent posting on another thread said it went up to $249. HAL is up to $299. Still worth it IMHO.

Hello... and you are very welcome! I am sooo excited for you... the Destiny is a PERFECT ship for a first-time cruise and we can't wait to sail her again real soon. We booked another last minute cruise last week (the Inspiration, leaving in 2 weeks... yay!) and I can tell you the ONLY reason we aren't going on Destiny again this time is because ALL THE CABINS WERE SOLD OUT! I was so bummed! LOL! I will be adding more to the review tomorrow... tune in if you can! :D

I am loving your detailed review of the Destiny. We are first time cruisers (this Oct) and even though we are not sailiing her, we have picked up on some valuabe tips. Thanks.

Also, Congrats on just booking the Inspiration. We are sailing on her next year with my son and his college roommate. I hope that you will do a review of the ship when you return.

Wishing your family a good time in Tampa and a wonderful cruise. I have heard that sailiing under the Skyway bridge us really something that is not to be missed. Have a wonderful time.

Cari :)

Are you gonna do a PICTORIAL review of the Inspiration? Pretty please:p Loving this review!

LOL,what THIS Bonnie is going to do is to find a way to get back on the Destiny.I loved this itinerary,and today its really hot and muggy here,so I have been reliving one of my best beach days ever with your review.We had the yellow Cabana,cant remember the number....it was wonderful.

And I second what you say about the Capt and crew having only your safety in mind,they will keep you safe.Enjoy your cruise:)

BTW,we did a quick getaway on the Inspiration in June and will probably be there again in December.Loved it,have a great time

LOL! Too funny, Bonnie! :D BTW ~ we lived in Savannah from 1995-2001 and I know exactly what you mean about the "hot & muggy" up there... it can be brutal. I grew up in Florida (and live there now), but the humidity in FL in now way compares to the heat in the Low Country! Keep cool, gal! Fall is just around the corner! ;)

I am loving your detailed review of the Destiny. We are first time cruisers (this Oct) and even though we are not sailiing her, we have picked up on some valuabe tips. Thanks.

Also, Congrats on just booking the Inspiration. We are sailing on her next year with my son and his college roommate. I hope that you will do a review of the ship when you return.

Wishing your family a good time in Tampa and a wonderful cruise. I have heard that sailiing under the Skyway bridge us really something that is not to be missed. Have a wonderful time.

Cari :)

Hi, Cari! Thank you!!! And yes, sailing under the Sunshine Skyway is incredible! The last time we sailed under the bridge (several years back) was during the Spring... the sun was setting just as we passed under the bridge and the sky was bright orange. I caught the most amazing photo ever! Enjoy your cruise! Don't be surprised if you get hooked on cruising from now on!!! LOL!

I'm curious to see what our wonderful tour guide CVQ paid. The Carnival website lists the excursion as $199, but a recent posting on another thread said it went up to $249. HAL is up to $299. Still worth it IMHO.

Hi, ScoobyGal! Looks like you are sailing on the Destiny in just a couple of weeks! Enjoy! And ~ I agree that the cabanas are well worth the $$... especially during the summer months!

The tram drops us off on the road behind the cabanas precisely at 10 am. As the tram drive away, we catch the first glimpse of our new home! Woo! Hoo! Let's move in! The yellow cabana next door is #12.

100_3160.jpg?t=1279982791

DH & DS take off down the path to the cabana without me! As I hurry to catch up, DH tells me to watch my step because the path is rocky and uneven. The green cabana straight ahead is #10. To my left is a large building with his and hers bathrooms.

100_3161.jpg?t=1279982791

As soon as I make it down the path (not too bad, just walk carefully), I take my flip-flops off and bury my toes in the soft sand. Ahhhh! The moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived! As I walk to the cabana, I am careful to avoid the round prickly seeds dropped by the cedar trees. I have stepped on them at Fort Desoto Beach (FL), and they hurt! As I reach the steps, I pause to think how thankful I am to have this cabana today! Then I snap a picture of DS bounding up the steps! Notice the water mats draped over the shower railing.

100_3162.jpg?t=1279982791

Look at that comfy hammock between us and cabana #10! And can you spot all those prickly seeds in the sand? Must be careful to avoid stepping on them!

100_3163.jpg?t=1279982791

There's another hammock between us and cabana #12! I notice the stack of lounge chairs and blue clam-shell (not opened up yet), just to my left. Wonder if anyone will venture this far down the beach today? For some reason, most people tend to congregate at the south end of the beach. That's the reason we selected Cabana #11... to be away from the crowd and noise. This cabana is the perfect location for us: away from the busy end of the beach, the bathroom is right behind cabana #10 and the lunch buffet pavilion is just a short walk up the tram road. They only question is: how to get frozen beverages, with the least possible effort? The closest bar is at the buffet pavilion, which requires more-than-desired effort! LOL! I wonder if the servers will make it this far down the beach? Hope so!

100_3165.jpg?t=1279982791

Check out the view in our front yard! Not bad, huh?! Wish we could stay here FOREVER!!!

100_3174.jpg?t=1279982791

UP NEXT: more views around the cabana!

Check out the view up the beach in front of cabanas #12-15. Looks like one lone soul has the right idea... he is heading to the very end of the beach! There are several hammocks in the trees just beyond the last cabana, along with stacks of lounge chairs that usually go unused. If we didn't luck out in getting this cabana, we would have spent the day down there. Very tranquil...

100_3167.jpg?t=1279982791

This is the view looking back toward the south end of the beach. Notice the lady trying to set up one of the clam-shells herself. The way it works is: you pay for a clam-shell at the Excursion Desk, then walk down the beach and stand by the one you want. On of the island crew members will come by to check your receipt and then insert the rod that holds it open. I bet she is wondering "how in the world does this thing stay open?!"

100_3169.jpg?t=1279982791

See the Hobie-Cat sailboat in the distance? It's parked in front of the Water Sports Center down by Cabana #5. That's where all the water gear is rented... boats, water mats, snorkels & masks, etc. Can you see the water fountain shooting straight in the air near the end of the beach? That's the kid's water park. And the brown gazebo to the right is the Oasis cabana for larger groups. The marina is right behind the Oasis. The tender boats enter/exit behind the rock wall that's at the very end of the beach.

100_3172.jpg?t=1279982791

Ahhh... looking back at the north end of the island, we see that the lone sole has made it further up the beach. The horse stables are down there and later today we'll be able to watch passengers riding in the surf!

100_3176.jpg?t=1279982791

DH announces that the refrigerator is empty. Guess they are running a bit behind stocking the cabanas. No worries, though! DS is enjoying the misting fan! Note the "Private Cabana" sign... I hope it works today! When we rented Cabana #4 a couple years back, we had uninvited guests all day long. One guy got really mad when I asked him to please stop using our shower (after his third trip!), and another lady insisted on taking a tour inside because she "wanted to see what makes this hut worth all that money!" LOL!

100_3178.jpg?t=1279982981

Speaking of the shower... this sure will come in handy today! Note the lady (and her DH?) waiting patiently for someone to come by and open their clam-shell!

100_3179.jpg?t=1279982981

UP NEXT: inside the cabana!

Great review! Do servers walk down the beach for drink service, or do you have to go to the bar yourself? I can't believe the nerve of people trying to use your cabana! Oh well.

Thanks for your time in posting this review and all the pictures.

Archived