How long needed for an airline connection Santorini to Athens to US?

bostonjim

We're cruising to Santorini and flying back to the US connecting through Athens. Does anyone have experience on how long we need to plan in Athens for an Aegean Air connection to Lufthansa? Currently we have to leave Santorini on the 7am flight (yuck) to give a 3 hr connection layover in Athens recommended by travel agent. Would love to sleep in to enjoy the morning and take a noon flight that would provide a 1 hr connection time to Lufthansa. Is that enough time? It's not advised by our US travel agent. Are they right or are they being too conservative? I thought we could check luggage straight through in Santorini and negate the need for the 3 hour layover.

I just would not do a one hour layover. One just can't predict what the flights will be like and if there will be delays. Too often delays occur. If it was me I would go with the three hour vs one hour layover. There will be plenty of time to take a nap on the plane back to the USA from Athens.

Keith

It's Greece. Given many many factors, including the possibility of job slowdowns to protest economic policies, I would take a 1 hr connect at ATH over a 3 hr connect only in the one case when a .357 was pointed at my cranium.

You want to sleep in on Santorini? Stay another night or two.

:D I agree with Flyer Talker. This is Greece...anything can happen....it is a cheerful southern european chaos.....:D

Considering the efficiency of the average Greek and the amount of strikes lately in Greece, no way that I would be happy with a 1 hour transfer. This would be cutting it close at any large international airport at any time, by the way.

Archived