Osaka/Kyoto

jettman

Hi

We are planning to spend a few days in Kyoto prior to a cruise out of Kobe. We are looking for recommendations for sights to see in Kyoto and a tour guide. Is it expensive to get from Osaka to Kyoto? Is the train an option?

Thanks!

You can take either Bullet train takes 20 minutes and cost $ 46 or a slower regional train takes 30 mins and cost $ 10 . then taxi from station to your cruise boat berth . save money take the regional train , Bullet train does not get up any real speed over such a short distance .

Kyoto is awesome! One of my favorite destinations that I've been too. I, however, did not like Osaka. The train is super easy to use in between. You'll take the JR line. Kyoto is very small and easy to get around. You don't really need a tour guide. You'll want to go to the Geisha district in the evening where you can see them go to parties. Also, visit the Golden Pavilion. I loved it there. The streets are small and traditional Japanese with tea lights lining it. You'll love it.

I agree with the above poster -- no tour guide needed; get a good guidebook like Frommer's which gives a couple of nice self-guided walking tours.

I booked a day tour through Viator that included the Imperial Palace, the Golden Pavillion, and Nara; the cost was reasonable and gave us a good overview (and a good break for Mom who was acting as tour guide for the rest of the two weeks in Japan!)

We had Japan rail passes so we went to Osaka for one afternoon and evening. I much preferred Kyoto. If you want to see a real castle (not the Osaka castle which has been completely reconstructed) visit Himeji castle, which is LOVELY and not far from Kyoto on the train.

Archived