Cruisin during football season

bloops

I've actually done some research on this. I am a native of the Tampa area and, God help me, a life long fan of the Buccaneers. I cruised on the Legend last september and checked the Denver station before the cruise and the Bucs game was nationally televised (imagine that) and was supposed to be televised in Denver. I was thrilled. And then I, and about 50 other people, was disappointed when the game wasn't shown on the ship. A last minute change by the NFL, I guess.. I dunno. But I'm seriously thinking about bringing some rabbit ears to connect to my cabin TV to pick up the Bucs game over the air this September on the Legend. It is a 1:00 pm game and will be done before the ship even leaves port, and happens to be the season and home opener. I have actually written Carnival about this. When you are sailing from Tampa, and a good solid 10% or more of the passengers are from the local region, they should find a way to broadcast the local game on the ship. They could spend $10 on some rabbit ears and hook them up to a couple of the TV's in the sports bar. I'm sure there is some contractual/$$ reason why they do not do this but it still pisses me off. That's fine. I will hook up the bunny ears to my in cabin tv and watch the Bucs game while drinking my smuggled liquor.

I guess I'll just have to take the satellite dish off the side of my house :D

That'll work, too.. My saving grace last year was a guy we met who brought a satellite radio and boom box, so at least we were able to hear the game. And then the Bucs were shut out at home by the Giants 24-0, and I didn't really care after that. I'm not sure why I care now..

I've actually done some research on this. I am a native of the Tampa area and, God help me, a life long fan of the Buccaneers. I cruised on the Legend last september and checked the Denver station before the cruise and the Bucs game was nationally televised (imagine that) and was supposed to be televised in Denver. I was thrilled. And then I, and about 50 other people, was disappointed when the game wasn't shown on the ship. A last minute change by the NFL, I guess.. I dunno. But I'm seriously thinking about bringing some rabbit ears to connect to my cabin TV to pick up the Bucs game over the air this September on the Legend. It is a 1:00 pm game and will be done before the ship even leaves port, and happens to be the season and home opener. I have actually written Carnival about this. When you are sailing from Tampa, and a good solid 10% or more of the passengers are from the local region, they should find a way to broadcast the local game on the ship. They could spend $10 on some rabbit ears and hook them up to a couple of the TV's in the sports bar. I'm sure there is some contractual/$$ reason why they do not do this but it still pisses me off. That's fine. I will hook up the bunny ears to my in cabin tv and watch the Bucs game while drinking my smuggled liquor.

Rabbit years don't work anymore....It's all digital broadcasting.....;)

Buy a battary operated emergancy TV/radio combo that is digital like we should all have here in Tampa (can we say hurricanes) and take it wth you....:cool:

Nevermind, don't waste your money....We're playing Cleveland and they'll prolly kick out butts.....LOL:eek::p

Rabbit years don't work anymore....It's all digital broadcasting.....;)

Buy a battary operated emergancy TV/radio combo that is digital like we should all have here in Tampa (can we say hurricanes) and take it wth you....:cool:

Nevermind, don't waste your money....We're playing Cleveland and they'll prolly kick out butts.....LOL:eek::p

As long as the tv has a digital tuner built in (most do nowadays) rabbit ears will work. I think the Legend tv's have them. If not, I have a digital converter I could bring as well.. But too true.. Wasting time and money on the Bucs is like throwing out the baby with the bath water..

So being a a beloved Vikings fan and suffering through years of heart break. I was curious to find out what game I would miss. I pulled the schedule and found out that they play the Packers on Sunday night so I have faith that it will be shown. I would be very upset if I had to miss the Vikings Packers game...almost to the point that I would consider not going.

So being a a beloved Vikings fan and suffering through years of heart break. I was curious to find out what game I would miss. I pulled the schedule and found out that they play the Packers on Sunday night so I have faith that it will be shown. I would be very upset if I had to miss the Vikings Packers game...almost to the point that I would consider not going.

If it's a Sunday night game, you should be good. I wish my Bucs were playing a night game. We suck!

a_charger_fan

did you not get the game you wanted or no games at all? i haven't been on rccl but those c.o. feeds are either free or at least cheaper then other cities and thats why the cruise lines use them. i have no idea why this is but i've heard it from many cruisers and sat people. if you tried only in your room to get them you should have gone to the bar that seems most likely to appeal to sports fans and ask them to check for a games.

We were on the Navigator (RCI) last December and they had games on in the 19th hole, their sports bar as well as on the TV's in the room.

I've never been on a cruise during football season where there wasn't football on no matter which line we were on.

Bill

We were cruising last year during the regular season. My husband was told by RCCL that they would be showing the games - ONLY reason he agreed to go. Well... sure enough they didnt show the game. I tried for 2 hours to log into my direct TV live feed - $50 in internet fee's later... still no game. Lesson learned.... Never schedule a vacation during football season unless i want to go without DH !!!

Hi CHARGER FAN!

If you have a chance to sail on the Spirit from San Diego, the Sports Bar is a blast during a Charger game! (but we did have to tell them to turn up the sound). Check out the photo below of my "Chippy" on the Spirit... he had fun!!:eek:

IMG_2111.jpg.4f1c697a24d4f9a55f0b6ed717f37707.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg.44b670bc3b0ab6dae9efcfc558cd9d2f.jpg

Can anyone tell me how Carnival chooses which games will be shown on Sundays? I will be on Legend 12/19 and I am hoping to see the Jets game at 4:15.

When I first looked at the thread title I had to see if this was my dh. Then when I clicked on the thread I see J..E..T..S.. Jets, Jets, Jets... My dh is a season ticket holder :D I wouldn't be able to book a cruise during this time.. :( Well at least not with him.. lol

What about on ships with "sports" bars? The Freedom has the Players sports bar and the site says "Kick back, grab a drink and root for your team - whoever that may be"...??? From that I assumed they had NFL ticket or something similar.

We will be sailing during the BCS championship game...we'll be able to get that, right?

I planned my cruise around football season. As one of the few Jaguar season ticket holders, it's important to me to not miss a game. We disembark on 8/21, just in time to head home, unpack, and head to the stadium that night for the first home preseason game!!

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

Will allow you to see what's on in Denver when.

.....section 138, row 41. In the new stadium I'm sitting in section 103, row 44. Where are you sitting bloops?

Looking forward to HBO Hard Knocks!

:D

wasiii

Old stadium we were in Sec 201 Row 8

New Stadium we are in Sec 101 Row 44

Last year on the Disney magic they had the Sunday games on by the pool and all the games on inside in a sports bar.

They better have the JETS game on when we go in November.

Old stadium we were in Sec 201 Row 8

New Stadium we are in Sec 101 Row 44

Last year on the Disney magic they had the Sunday games on by the pool and all the games on inside in a sports bar.

They better have the JETS game on when we go in November.

.....and are you happy about the PSL rebate? That was a nice surprise.

wasiii

We cruise the cheap hurricane season almost every year. It's pretty hit or miss. They usually give you the high viewership game or a Broncos game from the feed. I don't care about the dirty Jets, but have missed a few Pats games on the ship:) Sportsbars your best bet....

I'm pretty sure that rabbit ears don't work anymore, now that the analog TV signals have been cut off and everything is digital. (old VHS stations are actually usuallu on the UHF band now)

But I wish you the best of luck...

Bill

We always cruise during September for the ridiculously cheap rates. (and almost zero kids)

Plus during January, again for the rates.

So far, on 6 cruises, ALL during NFL regular season or playoffs, we have only NOT gotten one game we planned on before the cruise.

On our last September cruise, my Wife's Colts were scheduled on the Sunday night game, but the ship lost the signal completely,(in the cabins, lido restaurant and sports bar) and she missed it.

Nothing to do with scheduling.

On every other cruise, the games scheduled on the Denver FOX, CBS and NBC stations, that we found online before our cruise, WAS EXACTLY what was shown on the various Carnival ships we were on. (and somehow, her Colts are always either the MNF or Sunday night games the week we cruise. Including our upcoming September cruise.)

We have never had a problem getting the sportsbar staff to turn on the NFL, ever. (just feel bad for them, when other people get pissed their game isn't on and needless to say, the waitstaff has no idea how to explain the satelitte situation to anybody. I doubt they even understand, the whole Denver station thing. It is usually just, "this is what we get")

On one of our cruises, we boarded on Sunday and the sportsbar was able to get the local (Port Canaveral) signal, until about 4PM.

BUT.............................

At 3PM, no matter what is happening in the 4th quarter of the games on TV, they will shut off all TVs in public areas, while the staff gets ready for the muster drill.

Then they don't turn them back on until after the muster drill is over and the staff makes their way back to their various stations. (took about 20 minutes after our muster drill and it was almost halftime of the late game by the time they turned it back on.)

As for college games, again, it is simply whatever games are on the Denver FOX, CBS, ABC and NBC stations.

The ESPN International the ships have does NOT show college football.

It is 90% soccer and the MNF feed with the regular announcers, but all on screen graphics in espanol. (which honestly is always fun. )

So any games on your ESPN at home, will NOT be seen on the ships.

Like somebody has already said, with the new NFL TV contracts, NBC can switch Sunday Night games the last 8 weeks of the season, if that isn't the one game FOX and CBS get to protect each week.

But looking at the last 8 Sunday night games, I doubt they will switch any of them, as the scheduled games look extremely good already.

Hope that helps everybody.

I'll be hopefully watching my NFL in September and mid November this year.

(luckily I'm a Bronco fan, so I am always good to go.)

Bill

.....and are you happy about the PSL rebate? That was a nice surprise.

wasiii

YES. Now my friends that bailed on tickets are now interested. Too bad. I got mine and they are undercover. Not moving. Now I can buy some beer in the stadium with the money we are saving.

Can anyone tell me how Carnival chooses which games will be shown on Sundays? I will be on Legend 12/19 and I am hoping to see the Jets game at 4:15.

Since the feed is out of Denver, then you'll see the jets play if they are playing denver. Probably get to see them win also. NOT!;)

Just an FYI to the OP, you will be surprised that by game time you have no interest in watching a football game with all that is going on. I would not even worrry about it.

Maybe that's how you roll. You're obviously not a FANATIC.

Of course, it may be too important to me. I planned my cruise dates around it.

Woohoo... this thread worried me about missing my precious Vikings game so I checked and we have a BYE week during my cruise!!!! How perfect is that?

It's sad, but I have actually booked cruises specifically because I knew it was going to be a bye for the Pats. Sick huh?

Archived