What's the "Rum Point, GC" of Coz?

Holly2

We are looking for a quiet beach with some snorkeling; don't need water toys, or AI. But would like to be able to get a snack and change clothes. Loved Rum Point in Grand Cayman.

Considering Playa Uvas -

anyone got any recommendations?

The only thing I've found, thus far, close to Rum Point is Tabayana Beach in Roatan. I've done P.B. and Chankanaab, neither compare though I'd take Chank over PB for the snorkeling. It was quiet, not crowded, food was good and facilities clean, just not drop-dead gorgeous like PB.

We are looking for a quiet beach with some snorkeling; don't need water toys, or AI. But would like to be able to get a snack and change clothes. Loved Rum Point in Grand Cayman.

Considering Playa Uvas -

anyone got any recommendations?

Nachi Cocum would be my #1 pick. The only exception would be the snorkeling. Not much to see near the shore.

If you want decent snorkeling and don't mind lots of people, try Chankanaab Park or Playa Uvas. The area near the Money Bar also has decent snorkeling.

Playa Palancar is pretty laidback with fewer people, but you need to take their boat trip for any good snorkeling.

For Nachi you need reservations. They take only 100 people. The others can be had via taxi.

Thanks. We are going to Roatan also so I will check it out.

Since we will be snorkeling in Roatan and again in Grand Cayman, would you recommend PB? Drop dead gorgeous is tempting...

(I've heard good things about Nachi but don't think we would eat or drink enough to make it worthwhile.)

Since we will be snorkeling in Roatan and again in Grand Cayman, would you recommend PB? Drop dead gorgeous is tempting...

(I've heard good things about Nachi but don't think we would eat or drink enough to make it worthwhile.)

SORRY, MAJOR type-o. I meant "Drop-dead gorgeous like RUM POINT", LOL. PB is nothing spectacular, I honestly prefer Chankanaab.

That's how we are about AI's as well, and honestly why we haven't made the leap and tried an AI resort.

Yes, PB is a great beach to hang out at if you like a lot of activity. For a "quiet" beach on the west end you might try Playa Palnacar, down closer to the southern end of the island. Another reason it's quiet is that you have to use the old highwya to get there (this may have changed) so many people don't see the "exit" off the new highway. Your taxi driver should know how to get there though. Decent restaurant and bar (I like PB's margaritas better though), not all the fun toys like PB, and it's probably a bit difficult to snorkel from the beach as the reef is a ways out, but very nice sandy beach with hammocks and palm trees.

Thanks for the suggestion. haven't read much about it which is probably a good sign :). Do you know how much the cab fare would be?

I think that it was $20 each way, maybe $25. I've taken alot of taxis since. It helps if you can find another couple to share the fare unless you already run in herds.;)

so that sounds like our best bet.

thanks. We have an active roll call so will try to find another couple -- hopefully someone who speaks Spanish -- to share the cab.

Hope there isn't any hurricane damage this season.

so that sounds like our best bet.

thanks. We have an active roll call so will try to find another couple -- hopefully someone who speaks Spanish -- to share the cab.

Hope there isn't any hurricane damage this season.

We were on Coz 3 months after Wilma. It was awful. There was no vegatation, most of the trees flattened and the piers were gumbles of broken concrete and steel. It amazes me that these people are so resilent. They busted their butts and put things back together in record time. My hat is off to them.

P.S. There were 7 or 8 ships in port when we went to Playa Palancar and it wasn't bad at all. 3 ships shouldn't be any problem.

Archived