Back from Victory...

gonzo1124

And a few things you should be aware:

Dominica

-Carry $1 dollar bills to use bathrooms. Every place you stop and want to pee, you will be charged.

-If you take a tour to the Emerald Pool, expect it to be extremely crowded. To the point of not been able to reach it.

-Expect to be on the tour bus for a long time without stops.

If you want a day to stay on the ship, this day on port may be a good pick.

St. Lucia, St. Kitts St. Thomas and St. Marteen

-Great beaches, beautiful, really nice islands. We've been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen several times before, so we only do beaches there. Orient Beach in St. Marteen (my favorite) and Megan's Bay in St. Thomas.

Barbados

Nice beach just outside the port within walking distance. Downtown is okay.

This is one busy cruise schedule. I really missed a day at sea to really enjoy the ship.

How it compared to our trip on the Glory two years ago

-I miss the Chocolate Buffet

-Entertainment in some of the public areas (bar and piano bar) was very mediocre. There was this guy playing the guitar with computer arrangements that really sucked. I called him the "Stiff" as he looked like he swallowed a steel beam and was expression-less.

Overall Personal Opinion

(Please understand that this is "MY" personal opinion and I don't expect for any of you to agree with me, so please keep the flaming low).

-I believe that Carnival quality has declined somewhat since my last trip two years ago. Cabin prices have gone down as they try to attract more customers during these hard economic times, so I understand that they have to make some operational cuts to remain profitable.

-You can see results of this on the food buffets where the "Bacon and Sausage Patrol" are guarding these items with their lives. I also remember seeing more fruits choices like pineapple, mangoes, strawberries and other; now is basically bananas and cantelopes.

-Drink prices: at $10 for a Margarita (including tip), no wonder why so many passengers try to smuggle alcohol on the ship. I saw them making passengers empty their water bottles before boarding. So if you are trying to smuggle alcohol by doing this, be aware. They are checking everything you bring in very thorough. I saw two rum runners being confiscated from carry on luggage. Believe me, they know about these. Security guys were laughing and commenting something on their native language when they found them.

-I saw a young lady being patted down by security when trying to board back from an island.

-There were no rude local people (like many have mentioned) on the ship. But there were a few rude people from places known to have rude people (leave it to you to figure where they were from).

-Photos: What a huge waste of paper and chemicals. I saw what it looked like thousands of printed photos not sold. It is time to use computers or your room TV to show pictures. They must kill hundred of trees just on photo paper every week. What a shame.

ANY TIME DINING

Very nice idea and very convenient. But, don't expect a super friendly service. I believe that since tips are included and you basically go to a different table/server every day, the staff is still efficient but does not "bond" with you. If you want this, use the "early/late sitting", not the "any time" dining.

-I must say that room service and the room stewards are still doing a great/super job. If you want to leave an extra tip, these are the people that deserve it.

-Skip the Spa, unless you have extra money to burn.

-Local island people were great, knowledgeable and very friendly. Tour guides were excellent. Only found one mean taxi driver in Barbados, the rest were great.

-Old San Juan is a great place to explore. I recommend getting there a day early and spend it seeing the 500+ year old town. The Sheraton Old San Juan is a very nice hotel and YES, you can walk (and carry your bags) to the ship. It is that close.

-First day Boarding: They say 2:30 pm, but we were in and eating in the buffet by 12:30 pm.

Overall this was a nice but busy cruise. If you are looking for a more "relaxing" cruise, this is not it.

I'm booked on this cruise for November. I did a similar cruise 2 years ago on Princess, with one less port/one sea day. I find that if I take half-day excursions in the morning and spend the aftenoon relaxing onboard, I don't over exert myself. This time the only full day excursion I have planned is in St. Lucia; and my days in St. Maarten and St. Kitts are very laid back.

Thanks for your comments. They're very helpful.

Thank you for your insights. I appreciate others views, good or not so good, it is YOUR experience. I like having comparisons. No flaming from me!

We will be on Victory in September, so any and all reviews are welcome. I'm glad you had a safe trip.

I am looking at booking this ship in October. One of the flights I am looking at leave San Juan at 9:50 am. Is this too early? Is the airport very far from the ship?

Wow, that is cutting it too close for me.:o I've read that the airport is a mess on Sunday when the cruise ships return, so that's why we are flying out on Monday. You might want to reconsider your flight time, IMHO.

Dominica

-Carry $1 dollar bills to use bathrooms. Every place you stop and want to pee, you will be charged.

-If you take a tour to the Emerald Pool, expect it to be extremely crowded. To the point of not been able to reach it.

Wow! That is one piece of info I haven't read yet here on CC!!:confused: Better make sure we do what we need to do before getting off the ship!!

Are there any beaches close to the port there? We were just thinking about doing a beach day here anyway.

Wow, that is cutting it too close for me.:o I've read that the airport is a mess on Sunday when the cruise ships return, so that's why we are flying out on Monday. You might want to reconsider your flight time, IMHO.

I agree! This means you will need to be off the ship at like 7am....very unlikely.

I agree about the anytime dining staff. Not as much gladhanding and chit chat as set seating, but thats what I like about anytime dining. I'm there to be with my wife, not listen to some waiters jokes or card tricks. As far as the rest of it, I haven't notices a real decline in quality over all. I think the rooms have improved from the past, as well as the food. I agree there is less fruit and the drinks are overpriced. I utilize BV department myself to save money and not have to smuggle.

I am looking at booking this ship in October. One of the flights I am looking at leave San Juan at 9:50 am. Is this too early? Is the airport very far from the ship?

In a perfect world you could make it, but in San Juan I would not want to try it. Airport is a 15-20 min ride from the pier if traffic is not to bad, but can be longer. The San Juan airport on sunday is a zoo, long lines, and slow.

Yes. I would not recommend booking a flight that leaves this early.

And a few things you should be aware:

Dominica

St. Lucia, St. Kitts St. Thomas and St. Marteen

-Great beaches, beautiful, really nice islands. We've been to St. Thomas and St. Marteen several times before, so we only do beaches there. Orient Beach in St. Marteen (my favorite) and Megan's Bay in St. Thomas.

Barbados

Nice beach just outside the port within walking distance. Downtown is okay.

This is one busy cruise schedule. I really missed a day at sea to really enjoy the ship.

How it compared to our trip on the Glory two years ago

-I miss the Chocolate Buffet

-Entertainment in some of the public areas (bar and piano bar) was very mediocre. There was this guy playing the guitar with computer arrangements that really sucked. I called him the "Stiff" as he looked like he swallowed a steel beam and was expression-less.

Overall Personal Opinion

(Please understand that this is "MY" personal opinion and I don't expect for any of you to agree with me, so please keep the flaming low).

-I believe that Carnival quality has declined somewhat since my last trip two years ago. Cabin prices have gone down as they try to attract more customers during these hard economic times, so I understand that they have to make some operational cuts to remain profitable.

-You can see results of this on the food buffets where the "Bacon and Sausage Patrol" are guarding these items with their lives. I also remember seeing more fruits choices like pineapple, mangoes, strawberries and other; now is basically bananas and cantelopes.

-Drink prices: at $10 for a Margarita (including tip), no wonder why so many passengers try to smuggle alcohol on the ship. I saw them making passengers empty their water bottles before boarding. So if you are trying to smuggle alcohol by doing this, be aware. They are checking everything you bring in very thorough. I saw two rum runners being confiscated from carry on luggage. Believe me, they know about these. Security guys were laughing and commenting something on their native language when they found them.

-I saw a young lady being patted down by security when trying to board back from an island.

-There were no rude local people (like many have mentioned) on the ship. But there were a few rude people from places known to have rude people (leave it to you to figure where they were from).

-Photos: What a huge waste of paper and chemicals. I saw what it looked like thousands of printed photos not sold. It is time to use computers or your room TV to show pictures. They must kill hundred of trees just on photo paper every week. What a shame.

ANY TIME DINING

Very nice idea and very convenient. But, don't expect a super friendly service. I believe that since tips are included and you basically go to a different table/server every day, the staff is still efficient but does not "bond" with you. If you want this, use the "early/late sitting", not the "any time" dining.

-I must say that room service and the room stewards are still doing a great/super job. If you want to leave an extra tip, these are the people that deserve it.

-Skip the Spa, unless you have extra money to burn.

-Local island people were great, knowledgeable and very friendly. Tour guides were excellent. Only found one mean taxi driver in Barbados, the rest were great.

-Old San Juan is a great place to explore. I recommend getting there a day early and spend it seeing the 500+ year old town. The Sheraton Old San Juan is a very nice hotel and YES, you can walk (and carry your bags) to the ship. It is that close.

-First day Boarding: They say 2:30 pm, but we were in and eating in the buffet by 12:30 pm.

Overall this was a nice but busy cruise. If you are looking for a more "relaxing" cruise, this is not it.

Do you have any pics to show for your review????

Dominica

Wow! That is one piece of info I haven't read yet here on CC!!:confused: Better make sure we do what we need to do before getting off the ship!!

Are there any beaches close to the port there? We were just thinking about doing a beach day here anyway.

There are allot of pay bathrooms in the carib and central america, usually around the ports you don't see many but better to be safe than sorry. Usually like 50 cents. The pay toilets are usually cleaner than the free ones....

"There are allot of pay bathrooms in the carib and central america, usually around the ports you don't see many but better to be safe than sorry. Usually like 50 cents. The pay toilets are usually cleaner than the free ones..."

Agree. The only place we found the "pay for pee" bathrooms were in Dominica. Just remember to take $1 bills, (or a huge bladder). :D

The path leading to the Emerald Pool becomes very narrow at the pool. There is hardly any room for people going back out and those arriving at the pool area. I recommend that you go with your 'ready to jump in' attire and take a good towel just to warm up when you get out. The pond water is very COLD!!!

Dominica, being a volcanic island is very mountainous and it seems like the mountains end right at the sea. Not many "nice" beaches and the few are black sand beaches. We went to one at the end of our tour and it was "okay".

I would save my beach days for the other islands.

I would recommend finding a flight much later in the day. We flew back 2 weeks ago on a 2:45 flight and it worked out great. We had to pay quite a bit more, but that airport is crazy and there are usually multiple ships coming in the day too, so you are looking at around 5,000 + people jamming the airport that morning. It's nuts.

"Do you have any pics to show for your review????"

Yes, took almost 250 pictures. Will try to post some soon.

Oh, another thing I just remembered; you will be going to many rain forests (rains a lot on the volcano also), take a pocket poncho or small umbrella if you don't want to get wet. We didn't mind as a good shower every once in a while kept us cool.

Please change your flight. I would venture to guess that there is a good 90% probability that you will not make it. Leaving San Juan can be busy, plus you need to run your luggage through USDA (Agriculture), before you can check in and that's another line.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Some friends and I are about to book a cruise on the Victory for January 2011, and although I've sailed on Carnival before (the Liberty in 2006 and the Miracle in 2007), I wasn't too sure what to expect with this ship.

Also, one of my friends and I were contemplating flying in a couple days early to explore San Juan, so now it seems like a must-do :)

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Archived