Alitalia luggage rules

I'mGrammy

We are flying out of Newark to Rome, and I'm confused regarding Alitalia's carry on bags and checked luggage rules. On the Alitalia site, they say your carry-on can only weigh 11 lbs. With a 21 inch bag with wheels, the weight has to be 9 lbs empty. Does any one have any experience with this? Also, there seems to be discrepancy as to how many checked bags you can have. Thanks, Grammy

You can get a take on luggage size/weight limits in THIS POST.

If you can only take 11 pounds, could that possibly suggest that you use a suitcase that weighs less than 9 pounds????

Did you do any research on allowances before buying your airplane ticket?

On the Alitalia site' date=' they say your carry-on can only weigh 11 lbs. With a 21 inch bag with wheels, the weight has to be 9 lbs empty.[/quote']This strongly suggests that your wheelie bag is unsuitable as a carry-on.

My carry-on admittedly doesn't have wheels, but only weighs about 8 oz when empty. But it's still big enough to pack for a three or four night long weekend without having to check anything.

You just can't take that 9 pound wheeled carry on. Period.

European airlines are much tighter on carry on baggage that most US airlines.

When you are forced to check that carry on, you will pay dearly for doing so.

This strongly suggests that your wheelie bag is unsuitable as a carry-on.

My carry-on admittedly doesn't have wheels, but only weighs about 8 oz when empty. But it's still big enough to pack for a three or four night long weekend without having to check anything.

I have always wondered at the "need" for a wheeled bag for carry-on (exemptions, of course, if there is a physical disability). 8 oz, eh? About the same as my smaller carry-on ... I do have a bigger I use sometimes. It weighs in at just less than a kilo and I've done around-the-world trips with just it. (This is why they invented laundry service and, on occasion, sinks and even a stream once.)

To lurkers: There are major advantages of carriers having and enforcing meaningful carry-on rules. They include:

faster passenger loading and unloading

there is always room for you carry-on in the overhead

much less chance of being bonked on the head by a flying suitcase (and, if it still happens, it will weigh less than Andre the Giant).

Next time you will know to check the baggage allowance before buying your tickets. We considered Alitalia last year but chose to go on Delta because their carryon limit was 40 pounds as opposed to Alitalia's 11 pound limit.

We considered Alitalia last year but chose to go on Delta because their carryon limit was 40 pounds as opposed to Alitalia's 11 pound limit.
Though it still beats me why anyone would want to carry 40 pounds into the cabin.

I remember a year or two ago posting the same "is Alitalia 11 pound carry on rule" really for real? I mean my laptop case with all my stuff in it is more than 11 lbs. But strange as it is, yes Alitalia really sticks to those numbers and really enjoyed charging our friends a huge amount of $ for exceedting those rules.:rolleyes:

John

Though it still beats me why anyone would want to carry 40 pounds into the cabin.

Netbook....charger....camera....external drive.....adapters/cables.....mp3 player....noise-reduction headphones.

It can add up, and this doesn't even include a book or two plus a change of clothes for the VDB opportunities.

I didn't mean that I intended to carry on 40 pounds, but that it was plenty for me whereas 11 is definitely not enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew Alitalia last year with a carryon that EMPTY weighs 6lbs, and it was full of crap so it had to be like 20lbs easy, and they didn't stop me, nor charge a fee, so I suppose it has to do with how they feel that day, if they charge you.

I'm currently dealing with the same restrictions and wondering how i'll get my carryon weight down. Guess I need to look for a cheaper bag that doesn't weigh 6lbs. It's funny, you buy the "good" luggage and then 5 years down the line, the airlines make it so you can't use it.

:(

Archived