Mobile, AL hotels - Hampton or Homewood Suites? HELP!!

ctownnupe98

Our family of 6 will be driving down to Mobile from Ohio for the 8/14 cruise on the Elation. We have reservations at the Hampton Inn downtown, as well as the Homewood Suites on Providence Park Drive. Both hotels offer cruise and park packages, have pretty much the same amenities, and are about the same price. Homewood Suites offers a hotel shuttle (included in the package), while the Hampton does not.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions as to which hotel would be the better choice? Also, if anyone knows how the Homewood's shuttle service operates (especially for pickup after the cruise), I'm all ears.

Thanks.

We spent the night precruise at the Rennissance and it was so worth it. The parking is right there in an attached parking garage. We took the shuttle over to and from the port. There was very little wait at the port post cruise. The hotel was beautiful and the staff there were awesome. I believe it was $125 for the night and parking for the duration of the cruise. Booked it online. There is a Quizno's across the street for dinner and if you go down to the corner and turn left at the clock go down a little way on your right hand side is a small restaurant called Time to Eat, we had a great breakfast there pre cruise. If you look at the pics in my signature there are some of the hotel under Holiday cruise

Homewood offers free "light dinner" if you arrive Mon - Thurs

Complimentary Welcome Home® reception, includes a light dinner, beer and wine (Mon.-Thurs. only

Too bad its not on Fri or Sat night ... what night will you be there. They also offer a full breakfast. Is the breakfast only for suites, called "suite start"?? That might decide me if only suites get it.

We're coming in on Friday. Unfortunately, too late for the "light dinner".

I booked the Hampton first, based on how close it is. I'd rather stay closer to the port. But I can't get a good feel on whether it's close enough for us to walk with all of our stuff. A taxi is $5 pp, each way. That's another $60 for us, if we went that route.

We're coming in on Friday. Unfortunately, too late for the "light dinner".

I booked the Hampton first, based on how close it is. I'd rather stay closer to the port. But I can't get a good feel on whether it's close enough for us to walk with all of our stuff. A taxi is $5 pp, each way. That's another $60 for us, if we went that route.

Have you considered using your car to transport your family and stuff to the port, then driving back to the hotel to leave your car? You could get a feel for walking back to the port or grabbing a cab to rejoin your family at the port. Post cruise, grab a cab or walk back to the hotel to retrieve your car and go get your family. (I have read here on cc of people doing that in New Orleans from hotels near the port which offer free parking but no shuttle services.)

The Homewood Suites is approx. 15+ miles from the port and the Hampton is about 1/2 mile - you can see the ship from the parking lot of the Hampton. It would be walkable if you only have a small amount of rolling luggage.

IMHO your best bet would be as another poster recommended - Stay at the Hampton - drive your family and luggage to the port and drop them off then park the car back at the hotel and either walk or take a cab ( 1 person fee) back to the port. It is a fairly easy walk as long as it isn't raining and you are not taking luggage.

The Providence Park hotel won't have much in the way of restaurants, shopping, or entertainment in the immediate vicinity and has always stuck me as an odd place for a hotel unless you have a family member in Providence Hospital. (It's a good neighborhood, but remote.) I'd only choose it if the overall cost was better.

Sounds like a great idea! Hampton Inn it is! ;)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!

Have a Great Trip! You should like the Hampton. It is across the street from my office.

If you are looking for somewhere to eat lunch there is a Quiznos Sub Shop inside the Hampton. If you walk North down Royal St and take a left onto Dauphin St there are several places to eat most of which are Bar/Grill type places but there is a Subway there and a Peanut/Candy Shop:D. If you walk several blocks down by the Cathedral Square (A Park with the Cathedral across the street) there is a Buck's Pizza and a restaurant called Spot of Tea on the right in that area that are both good.

There is a Bakery a block down Royal St past Dauphin and a Muffin Shop on the right just as you turn onto Dauphin but I am not sure if they are open on the weekends. You might find that some of the lunch places are not open on the weekends. I am only downtown during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed at the homewood suites in Dalphne and it was wonderful. But If you want the best deal call hotel directly at the renaissance riverview hotel. They have a park and ride special total was $147.06 including tax. They are in front of the convention center/cruise terminal. Request a room with a window view of ship and the kids will be so excited. Husband was a kid too! You tell them the time to take you to the port and they drop you off at the front, unload your bags and head to the ship. I will do this everytime we go out of Mobile. A shuttle will be waiting once you get off ship as well. No crowds, or waiting in car lines. LOVED IT! The hotel resturants are expensive. Bring snacks, fridge in room.

The Providence Park hotel won't have much in the way of restaurants, shopping, or entertainment in the immediate vicinity and has always stuck me as an odd place for a hotel unless you have a family member in Providence Hospital. (It's a good neighborhood, but remote.) I'd only choose it if the overall cost was better.

We stayed at this Homewood Suites Feb. 2009...we had a really hard time finding it - even with a GPS! It was a bit of a drive to the port, but a nice hotel nonetheless and quiet too...but if you were looking to get out to see the town, this is not the place to stay.

Archived