Am I the only one that stresses when they pack?

pampaul

I started making a detailed list on my first cruise and make small changes after each cruise. I have done so many now that I don't stress at all about packing. I usually pack the day before I leave now. I just check it off the list. It was amazing how after the first two cruises how much smaller the list got.

We do the same thing. I keep all the toiletries permanently packed so I just pick it up and put it in the suitcase. I check it when we get back and refill anything necessary. Also handy if you have a weekend emergency or have to go to hospital. Have a permanent list - have 3 actually. One for winter holidays, one for summer holidays and one for dancing holidays (we are competitive ballroom dancers who often travel to compete). I only ever take one pair of shoes away on cruises other than the pair of walking shoes I am wearing. We have it down to 2 small cases weighing approximately 14 kilos each when we go even for 4 week European holidays in the winter. mummsie

My insanity is packing I over pack shoes I love them 12 pairs for 14 days I like to have choices when I travel just like when your home and something you thought you were going to wear you don't like how it looks so back in the closet you go so you pull something else. But I still am going away so why worry. lol enjoy packing and all:D

I wish I could just throw together and suitcase and off I go. Anyone else have issues when they pack or are you one of the lucky ones to just throw stuff together and go?

.......too many forget the principle........take half the clothes and twice the money........it solves many dilemmas......;)

I don't think of lists at OC at all . . . I think they are critical to removing a great deal of the stress of packing, and they can be reused. Once we've booked a trip, no matter how many months out, I always find myself thinking at utterly random moments that we need to be sure to take X or Y. With a list, I just write it down when the thought comes to me, and then forget about it until it's time to pack.

And with all the electronic gear now (cell phone, charger for the cell phone, camera and batteries, charger for the camera batteries, memory cards for the camera, yadda yadda), it's not just about the clothing or toiletries ...

So besides a list for the clothing (which is usually trip-specific), I have separate lists -- electronics/technology (don't forget the binoculars!), toiletries/medicines, tickets/money/passports/visas/maps, etc. -- the core of which doesn't change that much from trip to trip...

We are taking our 4 girls - I have a three page, color coded packing list - and I haven't started packing! Are you joining the meet and greet? Didn't see you on the rsvp :)

I swear, I need a vacation just from making packing lists and checking them off. Anyone else like this? LOL

I don't care if I'm packing for a cruise or Disney or a camping trip, I always make up a list for each of us and what we'll need each day.

For example, we're leaving in 10 days on the Jewel. What I do is make a list of each day we're gone and which port we'll be in on each day and then figure out what everyone will wear for that specific day (whether it's going to be a bathing suit/at sea day or a day exploring the island and you're wearing shorts/tshirt, etc)

I wish I could just throw together and suitcase and off I go. Anyone else have issues when they pack or are you one of the lucky ones to just throw stuff together and go?

I swear, I need a vacation just from making packing lists and checking them off. Anyone else like this? LOL

I don't care if I'm packing for a cruise or Disney or a camping trip, I always make up a list for each of us and what we'll need each day.

For example, we're leaving in 10 days on the Jewel. What I do is make a list of each day we're gone and which port we'll be in on each day and then figure out what everyone will wear for that specific day (whether it's going to be a bathing suit/at sea day or a day exploring the island and you're wearing shorts/tshirt, etc)

i ,m just the same ,working right up to the 11th hour but i find a laminated list of essentials is a must means toiletries ,hair brushes,underwear and pyjamas can go in a spare case weeks before

I pack three changes for clothes, a light coat, a swim trunk, a good book, my toiletries bag, and a small digital camera. During the winter I may add a sweater and forgo the swim trunk. I pack golf shirts and slacks, I do not wish to lug heavy jeans. I wear comfortable Hush Puppies suitable for any casual occasion. I do not do formal while on vacation...

I keep my packing as light and simple as possible. Clothes can be laundered. I don't need to pack half my wardrobe. I aim for less than 25 pounds...

I do not even bother to pack a travel alarm clock. I use room room service for a wake up call...

I don't require a radio, cd player, video games, cell phone while on vacation, a good small paperback book is sufficient. The cabin's TV will be enough to keep me entertained in the cabin, outside of my paperback book...

My mom used to pack for me, I would just take things out of closets and drawers and the like and pile it on my couch and she would iron, pack what a wonderful time that was... NOW however, I have eight days till I leave have not even begun to think or do anything about it, I did buy a pair of sandals. I will be stressed to the max, I know I will forget something and I will, I'll start packing in five days any earlier and I will just be pulling it all out and repacking and double checking and oh brother! You are not alone in the stress or hell...... Where's mom when you need her??? In Florida....

A packing list is a MUST. Without a list I'd end up with an abundant amount of "stuff" which would not serve the purpose. As it stands, I can do a faux pas with a list i.e. had to purchase evening shoes in Grand Cayman after realizing that I'd packed only one shoe.

I guess I'm a visual learner because I need to see, I need to read before I can organize and coordinate.

This is my attempt to avoid looking like a hot mess. Really!!

I am the type of person who also needs a list as I am worried about forgetting things. For me, I have just booked a last minute cruise. This means that I need to draw up a list before my flight on sunday. i do use some packing lists from the internet that help as one can forget the bug spray, sun screen, prescription pills etc. You are 10 days out so you have plenty of time.

I make lists too...couldn't do it without. I have a list started as soon as a trip is booked and add things as I think of them.

Saves me a lot of time trying to remember what I wanted to pack.

I am very bad at over packing and am trying to learn how to pack lighter! Many times I have come home with lots of clothes I didn't even wear:(

At least on NCL, I won't have to worry about dress up clothes for evenings like we have had on our past cruises.

I don't call it stress. I call it the excitement of anticipation. (However, I'm packing for only myself - not for a family. Big difference, I know!:))

What's the worst-case scenario? You plan wrong or forget something, and you buy it in port or on the ship, or you send something to the laundry.

Kathy

less and less each cruise...even LESS since we started to cruise with NCL:)

i am getting so i have a CRUISE wardrobe and pretty much alot of the same goes with me...always NEW stuff...but if it worked the last cruise it goes with me on the next.

i find making a COMPLETE list from what i wear on my head to my toes...jewelry included is the KEY for me!!! every day has what i plan to wear and that makes packing so much easier....the minute i book a cruise...i am packing in my head then it hits the list...my cruise is in 5 months and in 2 i will be getting everything together and see what will work this time...lucky no significant weight gain or loss so everything i have on my list should WORK...i find packing less stressful...oh still the part about making weight with the bags...but it works out in the end!!!

Somewhat along this line, I have several packing lists saved on my computer--cruising, timeshare, length of trip, etc. Once I return, I update my list--did I forget anything important? more importantly, what did I take that I can eliminate next time?

I live my life by lists.:D

Kathy

.......too many forget the principle........take half the clothes and twice the money........it solves many dilemmas......;)

Speaking of money - that's one of the things I plan ahead. I don't wait until the last minute to decide if I have enough $1 bills and $5 bills for tipping. In some foreign countries (Russia and China come to mind) they recommend NEW or ALMOST NEW bills. Can't wait until the last minute for that.

I start my lists the minute I make a deposit. That's half the fun.:D

Kathy

OK - I realize this won't apply to many other people, but I just have to tell you how pleased I was to figure this out.

Beside my computer I have three cheap stacking corduroy cubes I bought for extra seating when I have a crowd. They are the kind with a removable top and storage inside.

Now that I have three VERY DIFFERENT cruises planned, I am using my three cubes. When I read on Cruise Critic that I need a special high-SPF sunscreen for my Galapagos tour, I buy it now (probably not available in December) and chuck it into that cube. Binoculars go in that cube. Stuff like that. Seasonal stuff that I won't use--clothing and all. You've got to store that stuff somewhere, so I store it in my cube. When it's time to pack, I will unload the appropriate cube, add the other stuff from my list, and good to go. I've lovin' it.:D

As I said, this is pretty specialized, but I'm happy.

Kathy

OK - I realize this won't apply to many other people, but I just have to tell you how pleased I was to figure this out.

Beside my computer I have three cheap stacking corduroy cubes I bought for extra seating when I have a crowd. They are the kind with a removable top and storage inside.

Now that I have three VERY DIFFERENT cruises planned, I am using my three cubes. When I read on Cruise Critic that I need a special high-SPF sunscreen for my Galapagos tour, I buy it now (probably not available in December) and chuck it into that cube. Binoculars go in that cube. Stuff like that. Seasonal stuff that I won't use--clothing and all. You've got to store that stuff somewhere, so I store it in my cube. When it's time to pack, I will unload the appropriate cube, add the other stuff from my list, and good to go. I've lovin' it.:D

As I said, this is pretty specialized, but I'm happy.

Kathy

I love it! Makes me want to pack for our next trip right now, lol!

Archived