Never too old!

Musicus

Can't wait! Thanks Pat! How was your trip? We all want details.

My trip on Poesia was mixed feelings. I had reserved my space in the hopes of meeting Egon. As before, the only reason I would sail the ship again would be to finish what I started>>meet him. He still amazes me at his wonderlust at his age and just to experience his "presence" would make me feel that aging is okay and dreams are still alive and well. Poesia is a bigger ship than I like to cruise on. It had it's good and bad points and I won't go into it here, but will plan on a review in the near future as soon as I collect my thoughts on it down on "paper" for CC.

Oops! In my last report I said that it had been 11 days since the previous one - it was only 5. But it had been the "11th" of January. Oh well.

Tom left two days before I did to go skiing in Colorado, and to see his Shirley again whom he obviously had missed.

Because I didn't hear anything from Stefano, I phoned Erin Donnelly who had passed on my letter to get to Stefano, who answered as follows:

Ciao Egon

I received your email... finally!!!

No worries for your cruise card, in any case you are getting a new one once you come on board!

For the piano, I need to talk to the hotel manager and see what the rules are...

I will see you on Friday!

Stefano

Dear Stefano, what you call a "piano" is a magnificent organ which originally cost

up to $50,000 when new; an instrument of enormous versatility which would fill the Atrium (or the theater, for that matter) with rich sounds and orchestration. It is an instrument which will enhance Poesia enormously -trust me! Show the photos I sent with the email! This is not "an old man's fancy", but a genuine offer which costs MSC nothing and will create a stir in the industry for sure.

Things don't look very promising, do they.

The day before I left, I gave 100 Peso ($8) to Elisabeth who had been looking after my room and she rewarded me with this beautiful and clever Towel Art (Photo), after she already had previously fashioned a dove out of two facecloths in the bathroom. I also looked after Ivan, the helpful and friendly one behind the bar from whom I got my daily ice ration for my not-bought-there drink, and after Julio, the breakfast provider, and sweet Chantal at the front desk whose departure Feb 1 will be a grave loss for Tom.

And then the big day came. Chantal ordered the taxi with a chair lift and he dumped me in frobnt of the security gate leading to the pier where my ship was awaiting me. It took some time for me to sit there on my scooter and wait not only for clearance (they got in touch with the ship) but also for one of those guys with tricycles that ferry passengers to and from the ship because it's a long walk to the shore and I used one to bring my two pieces of luggage. This eventually happened and at the ship I was greeted by the lady officer of the ship's immigration department, who took me upstairs, where I was checked in as if I was a new passenger, since I had been officially disembarked when I left Dec 24 (and charged whatever I owed up to that point in gratuity fees). It actually was a happy reunion with the girls at the reception desk and kind of a warm 'home coming". Of course I also got a new cruisecard, which shows that I embarked Jan 21 2011 and will leave the ship Nov 30, 2011 - this date is wrong and I'll have to check it out. Secretly I had hoped that they a) added 4 weeks to my day of disembarkment to compensate for my stay in Cozumel, and 2) might have upgraded me during my absence, but no such luck. I was back in my old cabin # 11141 and all my stored stuff was already there and I slowly began unpacking some of it, always having to lie down for a bit in between because of my aching back. No word from Stefano, who was ashore that day.

This was a Gala Night, Dinner only at 8.30 pm, preceded by cocktails which I skipped and had my own in the cabin. By evening, I had only managed to unpack and store part of the things, showered, changed and went down to eat where I found my table devoid of anybody - I was told that the group which was there before left in Jamaica. So I ate alone and very little at that -still have no appetite, but waited a small eternity until at last the baked Alaska arrived with Gloria Chorus and much hoopla. Back to the cabin and gratefully collapsed into bed at 10.15pm.

Edited by yellowbird23

Today, I had my first swim shortly after 7am, and it felt g o o d but I only did 11 laps. I am sure that this will help my back a lot over time. I had ordered breakfast for 8.30 in the cabin, but instead of an English muffin, they sent regular sweet muffins which I don't like, and the orange juice was watered down. Coffee, however, was excellent. Can't win them all. Finished unpacking, put up my collection of pictures of my beloved Bern, had a little snooze and after 2pm went to the cafeteria for minestrone, a small piece of pizza and some papaya, washed down with ice tea (without the ice). Several waiters came up to me saying, where have you been, we haven't seen you for so long .... kinda nice.

At 4.pm I went to see Stefano, who, together with the girls in the office, greeted and welcomed me warmly. The result of our talk was twofold and negative: 1) The disembarking date on the new cruise card is wrong - it's still October 15 in Quebec and 2) the organ is out. He gave all sorts of explanations, but that's it. For a huge company (over 200 merchant ships in Europe, apart from 12 Cruiseships and more coming) to think out of the box is too complex it seems. And there goes another unfulfilled dream and a win-win proposal turned into the opposite.

After Dinner I went to see Angelica, who expected me and we embraced, maybe somewhat longer than normal. But I only stayed for one song and left at 9pm to go back to the Cabin; on the way more of Poesia Staff (officers and also cocktail waitresses) stopped me, welcomed me back and told me that they had missed me. As I said before: kinda nice.

: http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

In the morning just after 7am it was cold in Fort Lauderdale and I shivered in the pool for only five laps. Had again breakfast in the cabin, but, even though it's just a very simple continental breakfast (no cereal, no eggs) they just seem unable to follow the instructions on the order sheet. Idiots.

Immigration proceedings took all of two hours - what a drag to have to go through this every week until we leave for overseas in March. I'll see whether I can't beat the system somehow.

Eventually I met Barbara outside and we went to have lunch at a Jewish Deli but were disappointed that, while they had very good matzoball soup, no chopped liver was available. We had been joined by a friend of Barbara. And then I was suprised with a huge piece of cake complete with candle and a waitress-chorus of "Happy Birthday" which Barbara had arranged, together with her invitation for lunch, because on Feb.9 I would not be there. Very sweet.

After some shopping, I stayed at her house until almost 5pm where I could do my computer work. Got back onto the ship, complete with a bottle of Canadian Mist (I then remembered that at F.L. the only scanning is done by US security but not by MSC so there's no difficulty bringing booze aboard).

At 6.30 they came with Moet and strawberries which I had sent down to the dining room table, where at 8.pm I found three ladies from England, Pat, Claire and Marylin as newcomers. Pat, in her late 60s, told me that she had met a "laidy" on the Queen Mary who had lived on that ship already for several years. Anyway, the drink and strawberries were welcome; I took some berries to Angelica but she would only start playing that evening at 10 because there was football and I left them with Rudy, the bar man, to give to her, because I went to bed.

This morning, the sea was rough and so was the pool. For the first time I decided to sit in the jacuzzi and realized that I shold have done that long before, because the jet massage on my back felt very good! However, no swim.

Later that morning went to accounting to get a printout of the charges to my account from Oct 9 to Dec 24 and discovered a gross overcharge; with very limited English of the person I dealt with, finally got the message that since this account had been closed, the only way to rectify mistakes would be to cancel some of future charges, which I did and will have to watch.

Still stewing about the organ. The more I think of it, the more I am convinced that my proposal didn't get far from Stefano's desk. All at his level are so occupied and at times overloaded, with the operational routines and dealing with cranky customers, especially so because in these months of 7-day cruises, big changes take place every week, that to really deal with this matter loomed too complicated since it would have required major sessions and discussions at higher levels but always involving Stefano. Now, for a while, I was considering writing directly to Rick Sasso, President of MSC Cruises (USA) in Fort Lauderdale, but in view of the fact that so much time has been lost which would quite likely see me without an organ to bring in should MSC acquiesce, I think I'll drop the matter with a tear in my eye.

Yesterday I was going to play again at the Atrium but found a big sign at the piano that it is reserved exclsively for the use of the on board musicians. Considering the fact that my playing in the past had always been extrremely well received by the public and as it certainly has professional quality, this notice was a surprise and I will check to find out what, or who, is behind it.

I have been told that on board there are some 900 French Canadians who are on some sort of pilgrimage, have a priest with them who celebrates Mass every day. One certainly hears a lot of Quebecois these days. The seas have been very rough since we left Fort Lauderdale; the ship was often lurching significantly and my cabin was especially noisy during the night with loud clanking and other mechanical sounds which seemed to be "right there", so that I had to use earplugs. I have several times tried to record what is going on so that I can demonstrate it, but have not been successful.

I went to see Anna, the cruise director, a very tall German lady who speaks 5 languages absolutely fluently and has been with MSC for the past 10 years. We are on "intimate" terms (say "Du" to each other). Anyway, I showed her all about my organ proposal and while there is indeed very little hope that this could be decided except by the head office in Geneva, she'll look into possibilities. She also told me that the notice I found at the Atrium piano "certainly" does not apply to me.

This morning I did 20 laps again for the first time and afterwards got my jaccuzzi massage.

I am sending this from Charlotte Amelie (St. Thomas), US Virgin Islands.

: http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

#avg_ls_inline_popup { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;}

Please don't say there isn't much interest. I check in at least twice a day to see if Egon has sent you a new posting. I got hooked on his adventures and hope that I will be able to follow in his footsteps within the next two years.

We are waiting for my husband to retire and then we want to take the same type of cruise the Egon has done making sure that we can get to the Far East, All of the Med and Europe. I have already made plans to be sure and take my laptop with me. With all of Egon's tips on where to find WiFi connections we should have a much easier time posting our stories.

He has been such an inspiration to everyone.

WIFI LOCATIONS

BOSTON: 14th floor disco, weak but useable

CHARLOTTE AMELIE: opposite Wendy's on the terrace of "Asian Patio": "BBC, WXSys WiFi" free (sometimes), $ 3 unlimited.Take laptop inside to pay and be put on line. Short walk to the left and away from ship. Good grocery store beyond.

COZUMEL: Cafe Sirena (Starbuck's) from pier cross road, go left. Not far. Or go over bridge, to near the end of upper level, left to elevator,down and left towards the street. "starbucks@infinitummovil" "capuccino13"(?)

CRISTOBAL: 14th floor disco

FORT LAUDERDALE: Terminal Building upstairs, "Porteverglades 14". Free.

GEORGETOWN: Cafe del sol, (Tim Horton's) free. Short walk up town.

KEY WEST: Starbucks, at the bottom of the Crown Plaza Hotel on Duval St.

ZNET Straight up from Westin Hotel to Duval, turn right, a few blocks to after Eaton St. on the right side.

NASSAU: In Terminus Building. Free, no chairs - sat on steps leading upstairs to WC. Check out other possibilities like garden behind buildingl

OCHO RIOS: Straight up to Island Village and beyond to long porch to the right. In front of Devon House (Pub?) free WiFi (Loafers Den)

PHILIPSBURG: only Telecom store on shore @ $10hr. In town only at Starbuck's, but it's an internet station with computers and they charge $7/hr. Forget it.

On Jan.26/11 I was lucky to latch onto a free WiFi signal from the German AIDA moored behind us.

PORTO LIMON: Internet Station close to a hotel $ 4/hr

QUEBEC: 13th floor cafeteria at the Obelisc Restaurant

#avg_ls_inline_popup { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-word; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;}

For those having to "check back often" to see if there are any new posts on this thread, remember you can subscribe to the thread for e-mailed reply notifications. That way you do not have to go looking for any replies since they come looking for you! 05.gif

When you're in this thread, or any other thread for that matter, click Thread Tools and then Subscribe to this Thread. A screen will appear where you can indicate how you want to be notified about replies.

The choices are as follows:

• No email notification
  • Instant notification by email
  • Daily updates by email
  • Weekly updates by email

Once you have made your choice, be sure to click the Add Subscription button.

But first, make sure your Cruise Critic e-mail address of record is current so you will receive the e-mails concerning replies.

Click User CP. Next, click Edit Email and Password. Enter your present password then your correct e-mail address. Enter your correct e-mail address again to confirm. Then click the Save Changes button.

A confirmation e-mail is automatically sent to you from Cruise Critic to the new e-mail address. You must click the link contained in the e-mail to complete the process to change your e-mail address of record for the message board.

While we are waiting to hear from you with your click on that e-mail, your membership registration is placed in the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" user group and you do not have permission to post or use the various Cruise Critic message board features.

Once you click the link in the confirmation e-mail to complete the procedure, your user group will automatically change to "Registered Users". Shortly after that, you will then be able to log in with your user name & password to post and use the various features for logged in members on the Cruise Critic message board.

Be sure to check your Spam, Bulk or Junk mailbox as the confirmation e-mail may go there instead of your regular mailbox. To ensure delivery to your regular mailbox in the future, please add community@cruisecritic.com to your Address Book or Contacts.

Also, please disable your spam blocking or verification software so that you receive our confirmation e-mail. If your computer or your mail server is using a spam blocker requiring an approved senders list of domain names that requires Cruise Critic to validate our e-mails sent to you, that is something we just cannot do because of the volume of mail we send out 24/7 all over the world.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

I will be boarding Egon's ship on Sunday for a two week cruise. That means I will be there for the Superbowl party, Egon's birthday, Valentine' day and all of the parties invented just for cruise shps.

I promise to post when I have the chance but I do not travel with a computer and know of only a few internet spots in the ports we will be visiting. It will have been about six weeks since I helped Egon find that first hotel in Cozumel and I am very anxious to see him again.

Dick Young

It has been a while since we have heard from Egon and I know some of us are starting to worry. I know we all wish we could have been of assistance when he needed all of the help on shore - but am really glad that you were there at that time and place.

Enjoy your cruise and please tell him for me, that he has become an important part of my day, even though I have never met him. I so enjoy his postings and hope his cruise is living up to everything he had hoped for.

I will be boarding Egon's ship on Sunday for a two week cruise. That means I will be there for the Superbowl party, Egon's birthday, Valentine' day and all of the parties invented just for cruise shps.

I promise to post when I have the chance but I do not travel with a computer and know of only a few internet spots in the ports we will be visiting. It will have been about six weeks since I helped Egon find that first hotel in Cozumel and I am very anxious to see him again.

Dick Young

So glad you could help him. I KNOW from his e-mail that he really appreciated it. You must like Poesia better than I did. The only reason I took that cruise was to meet him. Tell him I said hi and to behave himself when you see him. Still haven't heard from him either and that isn't the norm and I, too, am getting worried. May have to e-mail Steve.

P.S. After I wrote this, I received 3 e-mails and I am assuming that he is scooting along and enjoying himself. As long as I hear "something" from him, I can assure you that he is okay. As soon as he let's me know, I'll let you all know. I think he is enjoying keeping us in suspense!!

Patty in PA:)

Edited by yellowbird23

For those having to "check back often" to see if there are any new posts on this thread' date=' remember you can subscribe to the thread for e-mailed reply notifications. That way you do not have to go looking for any replies since they come looking for you! [img']http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/05.gif[/img]

When you're in this thread, or any other thread for that matter, click Thread Tools and then Subscribe to this Thread. A screen will appear where you can indicate how you want to be notified about replies.

The choices are as follows:

• No email notification
  • Instant notification by email
  • Daily updates by email
  • Weekly updates by email

Once you have made your choice, be sure to click the Add Subscription button.

But first, make sure your Cruise Critic e-mail address of record is current so you will receive the e-mails concerning replies.

Click User CP. Next, click Edit Email and Password. Enter your present password then your correct e-mail address. Enter your correct e-mail address again to confirm. Then click the Save Changes button.

A confirmation e-mail is automatically sent to you from Cruise Critic to the new e-mail address. You must click the link contained in the e-mail to complete the process to change your e-mail address of record for the message board.

While we are waiting to hear from you with your click on that e-mail, your membership registration is placed in the "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation" user group and you do not have permission to post or use the various Cruise Critic message board features.

Once you click the link in the confirmation e-mail to complete the procedure, your user group will automatically change to "Registered Users". Shortly after that, you will then be able to log in with your user name & password to post and use the various features for logged in members on the Cruise Critic message board.

Be sure to check your Spam, Bulk or Junk mailbox as the confirmation e-mail may go there instead of your regular mailbox. To ensure delivery to your regular mailbox in the future, please add community@cruisecritic.com to your Address Book or Contacts.

Also, please disable your spam blocking or verification software so that you receive our confirmation e-mail. If your computer or your mail server is using a spam blocker requiring an approved senders list of domain names that requires Cruise Critic to validate our e-mails sent to you, that is something we just cannot do because of the volume of mail we send out 24/7 all over the world.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to all!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Cool! Thanks...learn something in here every day.:)

:D# 34 Jan 28 - Mar 6, 2011

In Philipsburg (St. Marten), there were six huge ships moored side by side and head to toe, including the largest Cruiseship, the Solstice, which has over 6000 passengers. Next to us were two P&O ships (English), behind us the German "AIDA" to whose free WiFi signal I was able to latch onto which made me very happy because in this place there were only very expensive possibilities otherwise which I could find on previous visits.

At 2.30pm I watched the departure from deck 14; repeated announcements just before called for two probably French Canadians that obviously hadn't returned tobu the ship. So departure was actually delayed some 15 minutes but then started to back away from the pier. Just as it was about 1 meter out, a golf cart with two people raced up and then the ship actually reversed itself, got back close enough to the pier for the gangplank to reach and the two got on. A few minutes later and they would have been out of such luck.

Jan. 29, a sea day. Did my 20 laps and jaccuzzi massage this morning and feel pretty smug about it.

Jan. 30, ditto. Now in Fort Lauderdale going through the immigration mill once again. Huge change of passengers.

They sure try to streamline things, but it's complicated with so many people disembarking, staying for another cruise but having to leave the ship for the i mmigration procedure, and then being ready for the new crop to board.

The "new crop" at the dining room table turns out to be 4 men: Cyril from England, Elliot from Toronto, Bob and Jeff from the States. They all enjoyed the champagne and strawberries, like expected. I brought three of the berries to Angelica, together with the music to "Phantom of the Opera", which Dennis had bought for her, and a little stuffed dog, which I did, having been with Dennis since noon when he came to get me at Terminal 4 in F.L. We did a lot of cruising around and finally found the Toojay Deli where he invited me for matzoball soup and a chopped liver sandwich. But I was pretty tired when we got back close to 6pm.

Jan 30, at Key West, I took a taxi to the hospital emergency in hopes that there I could get the spot on my nose excised but after the usual hospital waiting and roiutine I was referred to Dr. Berman in town whom I had already fingered on the internet as being one of two dermatologists and because he was listed as being associated with the hospital, I went there first. Another taxi to his office in a private house in town, much ado about insurance and payment, finally saw him and he agreed that it was very likely a skin cancer and should come out - anyway, an appointment for this procedure has now been made for Feb 14 at 11.30 am. I wonder how big the hole in my nose will be and how I could avoid that my nose becomes the focus of my personality!! After that I will only be in Key West once more on Feb.28.

Taxi fares alone came to almost $60 and I also paid for the visit to Dr. Berman $ 98. Whether I'll be able to recover this or the hospital charges (which they'll send per mail to Canada) is doubtful. Poor Steve and his inheritance.

Feb 3. Georgetown (Cayman Islands ), sitting in front of Starbucks and have an erratic Wifi. We had to tender in this port. Next to us is Holland America's Niew Amsterdam, which is only some 6 months old. As a souvenir to my hospital visit a few days ago, I caught some sort of bug - anyway, coughing my fool head off - what a bloddy nuisance. Found a way to make the "spot" on my nose almost invisble: take only tape from a Bandaid - it's the same colour as the skin. Just now I got hailed by a couple: Dr. Wessel who was an optometrist in Osoyoos had rercognized me! The world sure is small!

Well, I got a message from Pat chafing at the bit because too much time has elapsed since I sent the last report. So here it is, with love and greetings to all! Tomorrow I'll be in Cozumel again. Don't make me get on that darned Poesia again Egon!!! lol:D:D