Fishing on Half Moon Cay

WillieD13

I have read that there is reasonably good fishing at Half Moon Cay, both from the shore and apparently bonefishing in the lagoon. The fishing excursion listed is for Deep Sea Fishing, which is not what I want to do. I much prefer light tackle and fly fishing in shallow water. I am wondering if 1) one is allowed to fish from the beach/shore, 2) if it is worth the effort to bring my own equipment, and 3) if a license/permit is required, and if so, where does one get that and how much?.

I am not sure but I hope someone can answer your question on this forum or the one you posted on Grand Turk. I have my DH booked on the deep sea fishing excursion here because he loves to fish and I figured this would be the only way he could fish during the cruise. I hate paying over $200 for 2 hours of fishing but it will be his birthday gift as is birthday is while we are on the cruise.

I doubt you'll be allowed to fish from shore...that could be dangerous for swimmers. Hooks breaking.....kid stepping on it....or the bait attracting something that you don't want close to shore....

• 3 weeks later...

i fished last year at ncl's private island with spinning tackle that folded down and had a blast caught all kinds of stuff, didn't have a clue what anything was. we just wondered on down away from everyone and went at it chrome rattle traps and in line spinners worked great we took barracudda tubes and had a few followers but no takers on those no one gave us any crap for it at all. i will be at rcl's private island in oct and dec and am planning on bringing the same setup both times just get away from all the people i just put pole and all tackle in a back pack and did not have any trouble, you could do the same with a fly setup. oh and in the bahamas you dont need a permit to fish from the shore from the research i did last dec.

Edited by rpnance
  • Like 1

My husband fished at Half Moon Cay from the shore. You don't need a license as it is a private island. He didn't catch anything, saw stuff, just never caught it. He also did the deep sea fishing excursion and did catch a fish. He really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I have read that there is reasonably good fishing at Half Moon Cay, both from the shore and apparently bonefishing in the lagoon. The fishing excursion listed is for Deep Sea Fishing, which is not what I want to do. I much prefer light tackle and fly fishing in shallow water. I am wondering if 1) one is allowed to fish from the beach/shore, 2) if it is worth the effort to bring my own equipment, and 3) if a license/permit is required, and if so, where does one get that and how much?.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=807020

• 3 years later...

Hello, did you ever find the answers to these questions? We are sailing in sept and really want to do some shallow water fishing.

• 3 months later...

has anybody fished on Coco cay recently? I fished it a few years ago from the "barefoot beach" area(away from the swimmers, other side of island) and caught a bonefish and barjacks. i have read other posts where fisherman were hasseled by the workers. I am heading back to cococay in a few weeks and am wondering if RCL has lightened up or are they still prohibiting fishing. If you have had any experiences please post. thanks