New Passport Prices

Ship Addict

Before getting bent out of shape of price. Consider this you have a 10 year passport. Its $110.00. Its 11.00 a year to have a passport to cruise or travel. So it is a good investment. Lucky I did mine earlier this year so it was 95.00(card & passport combo) Then again $15.00 price jump is kind of steep. I look at it this way,you want a passport got to pay it. Go to your local post office you don't have to pay the 25.00 "affiliate" fee. And passport photos are pretty cheap Walgreens and CVS does it. There's a coupon on CVS website you get 2.00 off your photo. they say 6-8 weeks. I got mine in 3 weeks, some here at 2 weeks. And don't bother to pay the "expedite" fee- that's a rip off.

Alrana

Wow! Another way the government can squeeze every drop out of us! That is about $500 for a family of 4.:mad:

Yes, it was painful for us as well! We decided to bite the bullet and get it done last time. So now we can travel anywhere at the drop of a hat! (yeah, right, like THAT opportunity ever comes up for us!)

I'd take your new price over ours in Canada.

$85 - for 5 years!!!!!!!! (yup we have to go through the hassle of getting a new photo and application every 5 years!)

Doesn't seem so bad now does it?

I agree! and being that I live in the US, it is such a pain to get the photos taken.

But this is a great reminder, I've had DD's app ready to go for the past few months and now I really have to take her to get it taken care of! Thanks

I agree! and being that I live in the US, it is such a pain to get the photos taken.

But this is a great reminder, I've had DD's app ready to go for the past few months and now I really have to take her to get it taken care of! Thanks

I feel ya. I live in the states too and the Canadian passport with only 5 years is a pain in the you know what.

Don't forget in Canada the pic is suppose to look like a complete mug shot, no smiling, no glasses, no teeth showing

If you're planning on getting a passport this summer, get it before July 13! The prices are going up!

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_5079.html

I'm sure the prices went up but I have to get a passport card for my roommate and that price is AWESOME! I don't mind if it goes up if it's still going to be that cheap. YAY!!

Thanks for posting this!

Has anyone heard of the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)?

I just googled it and I dont think its available in all states but you need a WHTI approved document (such as EDL or passport) to travel in the Western Hemisphere (mexico, canada, and some caribbean) http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-faqs. htm is where i found this info.

It only cost $30 more than a regular drivers license

Those of you who live in states that offer this should consider it to save money!

Is it similar to the passport card (meaning it's not good for flight)? Couldn't open your link...

This past year our DL fee jumped to $48... so it's basically the same price as the passport card... (well before July 13th that is) Don't think Florida has any options like New York does.

All of our passports expire in Feb so I was wondering from those of you who have had yours renewed about the Issue Expiration dates.. if I send mine in before the rate hike will they move the next expiration date up by 6 months or will they keep it 10 yrs from the current expiration date... Hope ? make sense? Its not that big of a deal but 6 months is 6 months:)

This is crazy , we now charge more here than they do in England , which is 116.00 , 77.50 in pounds .

Wonder who is responsible for initiating the price increase this time ,, like it matters , lol .

Wow! Another way the government can squeeze every drop out of us! That is about $500 for a family of 4.:mad:

The government can't make you get a passport, that's your choice if you decide to travel out of the country. It's more like you're squeezing the money out of yourself.

Glad I just got mine!!

Processing was crazy fast, I applied on June 15 at the post office and had the passport in my hand on June 28, not too shabby.

OK, not just us then. My wife applied for renewal a few weeks ago, they issued the new passport 8 days later and we got it a few days after that. I had just done mine back in March and it took about 5 weeks.

The government can't make you get a passport, that's your choice if you decide to travel out of the country. It's more like you're squeezing the money out of yourself.

What I should have said was: It is another way for the Government to squeeze more out of the "haves" and give it to the "have nots". Most people who travel alot are seen as the "haves" so shame on us for being successful.:rolleyes:

Before getting bent out of shape of price. Go to your local post office you don't have to pay the 25.00 "affiliate" fee.

Alrana

not true, unless the Postal Service has changed since last summer. USPS where we had ours processed charged the $25.00 per passport, and the passport fee itself was $75.00 for each one. $100.00 each, but, like she said, it's good for 10 years. Even if you only cruise once a year, that's $10.00 per cruise. If you are a hard-core cruiser, it's even less.

Archived