New Passport Prices

Ship Addict

My understanding, the expiration will be 10 years from when it is issued. So technically passports are good for 9 1/2 years. I went back to my maiden name after only having my passport for 4 years, but didn't mind losing the years and the extra costs.. Called no more association :-)

My understanding, the expiration will be 10 years from when it is issued. So technically passports are good for 9 1/2 years. I went back to my maiden name after only having my passport for 4 years, but didn't mind losing the years and the extra costs.. Called no more association :-)

Not sure on your math, 10 years = 10 years. Don't fret about the carnival wording in their FAQ about the valid for another 6 months, as that is a recommendation and not a rule/requirement (got an e-mail last year stating so). We went in Sept at less than 6 months with no problem and then again in Feb with both of ours expiring in less than a month and had no problems.

not true, unless the Postal Service has changed since last summer. USPS where we had ours processed charged the $25.00 per passport, and the passport fee itself was $75.00 for each one. $100.00 each, but, like she said, it's good for 10 years. Even if you only cruise once a year, that's $10.00 per cruise. If you are a hard-core cruiser, it's even less.

Since you said $75.00, that sounds like a renewal. Were you aware that you could just mail them in? (Unless there are specific circumstances such as name change or don't have old passport, etc., involved.) And there is no additional processing fee involved. All the info needed, including forms, is on the website.

Just renewed both mine and my Mom's, completely by mail. $75 each for the renewals. Only other cost was the mailing costs -- we used priority mail so we could track that they got there.

I agree! and being that I live in the US, it is such a pain to get the photos taken.

But this is a great reminder, I've had DD's app ready to go for the past few months and now I really have to take her to get it taken care of! Thanks

Just curious....but what is such a pain about it?:confused:

We just went to Walgreens and were in and out in

about 15 or 20 minutes for only $8.00

Just curious....but what is such a pain about it?:confused:

We just went to Walgreens and were in and out in

about 15 or 20 minutes for only $8.00

My comment was in response to the person stating that Canadian passports are only 5 years long. It is a pain for me to renew that frequently living in the US...our picture dimensions are different than in the US and also require that the photographer date stamp their company name on the back of one. Walgreens doesn't take Canadian passport photos and it's difficult to find someone that does it properly.

For me US passport relatively easier...I'm going to the post office to do dd's passport tomorrow :p

Dang this sucks, I still have to get my youngest daughter hers, but she is not 16 till July 23. I can't get her dad (ex husband) to the post office to apply as needed since she would be under 16 before then. Dang Gov. got to hose us anyway they can :(

My comment was in response to the person stating that Canadian passports are only 5 years long. It is a pain for me to renew that frequently living in the US...our picture dimensions are different than in the US and also require that the photographer date stamp their company name on the back of one. Walgreens doesn't take Canadian passport photos and it's difficult to find someone that does it properly.

For me US passport relatively easier...I'm going to the post office to do dd's passport tomorrow :p

oh...Canadian living in the US.

I didn't read it that way, sorry

It's about time. Everyone wants more and more from the governement by contributing less and less. keep this up and in 10 years we will be like Greece. Figure it out people the government has to get money from somewhere.

pjtulsa - ours expire in Feb also. I called and the new expire date is 10 years from the renewal date, so we are losing 9 months on our old passport if we renew now. We were going to wait until Sep and only lose 6 months but might as well save the $.

So as said previously, passports are really only 91/2 years, don't understand why they can't just add 10 years to original expire date.:confused:

Yes, it was painful for us as well! We decided to bite the bullet and get it done last time. So now we can travel anywhere at the drop of a hat! (yeah, right, like THAT opportunity ever comes up for us!)

THAT opportunity DID happen for you on this wonderful 4th of July weekend!! :D Very short notice, but what a deal for you.

Hope you are having a grand time!

Kat

Thanks for the heads up--my parents are set to renew theirs, so I called and told them to get there this week. Although they could do it by mail as they are renewals. How easy is the mail? Just print and fill out application, and send in 2 photos, and the fee? Might be worth it since there is a $25 fee at the post office.

• 3 weeks later...
Question....

Does the new price mean that they no longer offer the card & book combo? If that is the case.... all the more reason to get to the post office!!

Nope. The renewal fee for both is $140. First timers add $25:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

BTW - The forms are on-line. The DS-82 renewal form can be filled out and printed on line.

Great for folks like me whose hand writing borders on the illegible.

Archived