Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

Terry, Just an incredible blog and photos. I would really appreciate it if you could use your experience and provide advice on what you would recommend to a first time visitor to the following Norway Fjords / ports: Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, and Bergen. We are taking a cruise in early May 2014, and have never been to this area before. We will be in each port at least 8 hours. What activities would you recommend in each port during an 8 hour visit ... it doesn't have to be the same as you did because you may have other suggestions after your visits? If you have info on tours, car rentals, etc., we would appreciate contact info. Also if you recall approximate cost and time for each activity that would be terrific. Anything else that you can think of would be very helpful. Thanks so much, Bill

Netty13: Thank you Terry! I "worked" through the whole thread last night and got even more excited when I saw all the pictures. We won't get as far north as you have been' date=' only the south and west of Norway but still looking forward to see the Fjords and little wooden houses... Awww, do you know from which part of Germany your ancestors were? [/quote']

Super appreciate the nice and kind comments from Bill and Annette. For Annette, I don't know the exact part of Germany where my mother's family was from. It was the north/NE part as a I recall. They came from Germany to settle in Nebraska and doing farming before later going to NW Ohio where my mother grew up.

For Bill and Christy, I can give some better suggestions if I knew more on your specific interests, past Europe experiences, budget range, ages, etc. Tell me more!! How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Here is a quick summary: For Flam, the rail adventure is clearly a must-do, especially as this port town is very small and the other options are fairly limited. In Geiranger, getting "up country" can be very good as it is important to sample more in the area than just what is in the fjord port. On Alesund, that overview provides great sights for this dramatic area. You can explore around in the town with its architecture. Much for Bergen can be done on your own and there are a wide, wide range of options and potentials in this larger, charming and interesting city with such great character. Have not been to Olden.

Look forward to hearing more back.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 6,132 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Super appreciate the nice and kind comments from Bill and Annette. For Annette, I don't know the exact part of Germany where my mother's family was from. It was the north/NE part as a I recall. They came from Germany to settle in Nebraska and doing farming before later going to NW Ohio where my mother grew up.

For Bill and Christy, I can give some better suggestions if I knew more on your specific interests, past Europe experiences, budget range, ages, etc. Tell me more!! How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, I can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Here is a quick summary: For Flam, the rail adventure is clearly a must-do, especially as this port town is very small and the other options are fairly limited. In Geiranger, getting "up country" can be very good as it is important to sample more in the area than just what is in the fjord port. On Alesund, that overview provides great sights for this dramatic area. You can explore around in the town with its architecture. Much for Bergen can be done on your own and there are a wide, wide range of options and potentials in this larger, charming and interesting city with such great character. Have not been to Olden.

Look forward to hearing more back.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 6,132 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

The summary is a great start and your information is very much appreciated. Sounds like the train is the answer for Flam. Do you know how much time that takes? I think that I read you can get group tickets for 10 or more at a discounted price in advance. Would love to hear more for the other 3 sites you have visited, including specifics about how you rented a car, route taken, times, etc.

We are in our early 60s, and our cruising experience has been mostly limited to Europe so far. I have arranged numerous private tours in most of the ports we have visited and they were very successful. We do love scenery and history of the area but aren't big museum people. We generally do things with other people and share the costs, so usually budget isn't an issue. We look at many of these ports as a one time visit so we want to experience as much as possible in the short time we are docked.

Hope the above helps and thanks again for you taking the time to answer my questions.

Thanks,

Bill

Terry,

Just an incredible blog and photos.

I would really appreciate it if you could use your experience and provide advice on what you would recommend to a first time visitor to the following Norway Fjords / ports: Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, and Bergen.

We are taking a cruise in early May 2014, and have never been to this area before. We will be in each port at least 8 hours.

What activities would you recommend in each port during an 8 hour visit ... it doesn't have to be the same as you did because you may have other suggestions after your visits? If you have info on tours, car rentals, etc., we would appreciate contact info. Also if you recall approximate cost and time for each activity that would be terrific. Anything else that you can think of would be very helpful.

Thanks so much,

Bill

Bill,

We were with Terry on the Cloud for this trip and here's what we did and enjoyed a great deal.

In Alesund we took the city bus out to Sunmore outdoor museum (see: http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Product/?pid=32912 ). some pictures are attached. Then we took a taxi (Visitor's Center called one for us) to the top of Mt. Aksla. Had a little snack at the top (there's a small cafe there), and leisurely strolled down the steps to downtown Alesund. We had plenty of time to walk around town and get back to the ship. This was one of our favorite days on the cruise (we were blessed with great weather though and a rainy day would make this itinerary less appealing).

Greg

IMG_0181.jpg.3e460fd25f3a476297ebd56e05b3927f.jpg

P1050466.jpg.6929a7ffb3d965a4fc97692c64ec7e81.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg.4ddf2b4f3e27ad557f061a24b156d506.jpg

P1050465.jpg.edee72a740723a723ca5c2fe178e8649.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg.c768a977395ae34df6ba04d65aac33bc.jpg

P1050470.jpg.883d148708de305d51b47371e1623bc0.jpg

Bill,

We were with Terry on the Cloud for this trip and here's what we did and enjoyed a great deal.

In Alesund we took the city bus out to Sunmore outdoor museum (see: http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Product/?pid=32912 ). some pictures are attached. Then we took a taxi (Visitor's Center called one for us) to the top of Mt. Aksla. Had a little snack at the top (there's a small cafe there), and leisurely strolled down the steps to downtown Alesund. We had plenty of time to walk around town and get back to the ship. This was one of our favorite days on the cruise (we were blessed with great weather though and a rainy day would make this itinerary less appealing).

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience in Alesund. Sounds like a wonderful day.

I noticed your USNA '72. I graduated from USC in 1972 on a full NROTC scholarship and then spent 4+ years in the Navy. My father was career Navy as a pilot.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience in Alesund. Sounds like a wonderful day.

I noticed your USNA '72. I graduated from USC in 1972 on a full NROTC scholarship and then spent 4+ years in the Navy. My father was career Navy as a pilot.

Thanks again,

Bill

High school classmate and life long friend of mine graduated from USC in '72, took Marine option. His name is Mike Hedin. We both went to Basic School together then he went on to fly CH-53s. I know USC is a big school, but any chance you knew him??

Greg

The summary is a great start and your information is very much appreciated. Sounds like the train is the answer for Flam. Do you know how much time that takes? I think that I read you can get group tickets for 10 or more at a discounted price in advance. Would love to hear more for the other 3 sites you have visited, including specifics about how you rented a car, route taken, times, etc. We are in our early 60s, and our cruising experience has been mostly limited to Europe so far. I have arranged numerous private tours in most of the ports we have visited and they were very successful. We do love scenery and history of the area but aren't big museum people. We generally do things with other people and share the costs, so usually budget isn't an issue. We look at many of these ports as a one time visit so we want to experience as much as possible in the short time we are docked. Hope the above helps and thanks again for you taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks, Bill

Appreciate the follow-up by Bill and great suggestions from Greg. Very helpful idea for Alesund. It was super fun traveling with Greg and his two ladies. He has real Navy experience!!! We had two Navy Captains on our cruise and that made things fun and interesting, especially as we went up one of the narrow fjords in the Lofoten Islands. For Greg, you and the ladies should join us on our upcoming and first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. Have you been to Australia and NZ previously?

It is good that Bill has had a variety of Europe cruise experiences. Europe is more port intense than in the Carib. ALSO, in Norway, it is harder to arrange some things on your own as many ports are very small and the seasons so short. Limited options and/or harder to connect with the right, best local people for such purposes.

Agree that for Flam, the rail trip is the best, no-think choice. On time required, a good rough estimate is two hours. Much depends how much time you spend up there at the hotel, exploring around there, etc. You don't need lots of time of there, but it is worth exploring around some, seeing the lobby in the hotel, etc. It the weather is nice, there is a pleasant patio area for sitting outside, soaking up the great atmosphere, etc.

For Geiranger, we did a ship tour that was all day from an adjoining fjord port that allowed us to go "up country". Not cheap, but well worth it in seeing such a wide range of interesting stops and locales. I think it cost around $250 pp, including lunch, etc. For Alesund, we got a rental car and went to Runde Island to sample the bird and nature there, sights going down and coming back. Earlier on this posting I think that I detailed that we got that rental car through Budget. You can Google for Alesund or any other town to check on the rental car options there. In Alesund it is handier to get your car through a pick up in town versus out at the airport.

For Bergen, we did a special two-hour tour for our group of six with Anne Lien, the owner of Bergen Guide Service. You can reach Anne at http://www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no. Tell her Terry from Ohio said "HI!". We could have gotten by without a tour or guide in Bergen, but it was a nice plus in making the logistics better, faster and learning more more "depth" on the background, history, etc., for this charming town, the nation, etc.

You could also book your rail trip through this website:

RAIL SCHEDULES: You can go to this website

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/triprequest.htm

or

http://www.raileurope.com

and check all of the various train options, timings and costs on rail travel within Europe through the "schedules" option on their web page.

What other questions do you have? Added needs, interests?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,289 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Glad that Greg posted some pictures and added details from their experiences in the fjords, etc. Below are some pictures to prove that Greg and his ladies really exist, plus more on the great sights in these wonderful areas, sailing along the fjords, etc. As I re-call, these pictures have not been previously posted on this live/blog. Appreciate the great sharing and good questions. Keep it rolling. Don't be shy!!

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and super active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

Just to prove that Greg were really along with us, here are two of my pictures that also illustrate why these areas are so fun, dramatic and scenic. First, here are Greg's two ladies in one of the dramatic settings near Gudvangen that we reached after traveling up the Naeroyfjord and doing Flam in the morning. Second is Greg with our ship's Executive Chef Douglas Hope as we sailed up a small, narrow fjord near the Lofoten Islands. This wonderful Chef did a spectacular, earlier five-course birthday dinner for my wife that Greg and his two ladies also enjoyed with us, the Hotel Director and two friends from Columbus.:

FjordGregTwoLadies_zps7b6f1c0d.jpg

GregExChefFjordSettingSailing_zpsbc057902.jpg

Here is another view seen while doing the Flam train. Plus two more examples of the various sights, buildings, etc., while being in these fjords. This includes a wooden church near Gudvangen with their cemetery along the edge of the fjord. Third is an example of the many small settlements and operations along the edges of the fjords that you will see when sailing in these areas.:

FlamTrainWaterStructuresView_zps73726477.jpg

FjordWoodenChurchAlongWater_zps927780d8.jpg

FjordSmallPortMtnsEtc_zps0ba76866.jpg

High school classmate and life long friend of mine graduated from USC in '72, took Marine option. His name is Mike Hedin. We both went to Basic School together then he went on to fly CH-53s. I know USC is a big school, but any chance you knew him??

Greg

Yes, definitely. There were only about 30 of us in each class so we spent 4 years together. I spent most of my time with my fraternity but we probably had some Navy classes together and weekly drill sessions.

Bill

Appreciate the follow-up by Bill and great suggestions from Greg. Very helpful idea for Alesund. It was super fun traveling with Greg and his two ladies. He has real Navy experience!!! We had two Navy Captains on our cruise and that made things fun and interesting, especially as we went up one of the narrow fjords in the Lofoten Islands. For Greg, you and the ladies should join us on our upcoming and first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. Have you been to Australia and NZ previously?

It is good that Bill has had a variety of Europe cruise experiences. Europe is more port intense than in the Carib. ALSO, in Norway, it is harder to arrange some things on your own as many ports are very small and the seasons so short. Limited options and/or harder to connect with the right, best local people for such purposes.

Agree that for Flam, the rail trip is the best, no-think choice. On time required, a good rough estimate is two hours. Much depends how much time you spend up there at the hotel, exploring around there, etc. You don't need lots of time of there, but it is worth exploring around some, seeing the lobby in the hotel, etc. It the weather is nice, there is a pleasant patio area for sitting outside, soaking up the great atmosphere, etc.

For Geiranger, we did a ship tour that was all day from an adjoining fjord port that allowed us to go "up country". Not cheap, but well worth it in seeing such a wide range of interesting stops and locales. I think it cost around $250 pp, including lunch, etc. For Alesund, we got a rental car and went to Runde Island to sample the bird and nature there, sights going down and coming back. Earlier on this posting I think that I detailed that we got that rental car through Budget. You can Google for Alesund or any other town to check on the rental car options there. In Alesund it is handier to get your car through a pick up in town versus out at the airport.

For Bergen, we did a special two-hour tour for our group of six with Anne Lien, the owner of Bergen Guide Service. You can reach Anne at www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no. Tell her Terry from Ohio said "HI!". We could have gotten by without a tour or guide in Bergen, but it was a nice plus in making the logistics better, faster and learning more more "depth" on the background, history, etc., for this charming town, the nation, etc.

You could also book your rail trip through this website:

RAIL SCHEDULES: You can go to this website

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/triprequest.htm

or

www.raileurope.com

and check all of the various train options, timings and costs on rail travel within Europe through the "schedules" option on their web page.

What other questions do you have? Added needs, interests?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,289 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to provide this information. I think I can plan each of the visits now and owe you and Greg a debt of gratitude for this.

I only have one more question about Flam. If the train takes about 2 hours, what would you recommend for the rest of the day?

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Terry,

It's always so good to see once again your photos of this most gorgeous country. And now we get to see some new ones. My heart belongs to Norway!

Carolyn

Terry's photos are incredible. Just like being there. I can't wait to visit.

Bill

Terry,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to provide this information. I think I can plan each of the visits now and owe you and Greg a debt of gratitude for this.

I only have one more question about Flam. If the train takes about 2 hours, what would you recommend for the rest of the day?

Thanks again,

Bill

In Flam I did the Train/Bus to Geiranger combo. The picture Terry posted of Cheryl and Gretchen was taken from the hotel "on top" that we stopped at for lunch and local folk dancing. The Bus ride back to Geiranger is about as good as the train ride up. Plus you'll get to stop Voss, Norway...birth place of Knute Rockne!:D

Greg

In Flam I did the Train/Bus to Geiranger combo. The picture Terry posted of Cheryl and Gretchen was taken from the hotel "on top" that we stopped at for lunch and local folk dancing. The Bus ride back to Geiranger is about as good as the train ride up. Plus you'll get to stop Voss, Norway...birth place of Knute Rockne!:D

Greg

Thanks Greg. Good know, although we will be cruising to Gerianger and have to be back in Flam the same day to catch our ship by about 5pm.

Bill

Hi Terry, It's always so good to see once again your photos of this most gorgeous country. And now we get to see some new ones. My heart belongs to Norway! Carolyn

BillandChristy: Photos. Terry's photos are incredible. Just like being there. I can't wait to visit. Bill

Appreciate this kind feed-back. You are rewarded!! Below in two groups are some more pictures from this area in and around Flam that have not previously been posted to share here. Brings back nice memories!! Or' date=' is a good preview to build excitement for these future travels.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

As we sail along the way coming back from Flam, here are some typical sights with another ship traveling along this scenic waterway, a local farm and buildings with a big waterfall behind it (no water shortage here), a fjord shuttle ship for the locals and another shot sampling the mountains, fjords and dramatic water drama/action.:

FjordSailBoatForegroundMtns_zpsc9d7cc5c.jpg

FjordFarmHousesBigWaterfall_zps2e84347f.jpg

FlamFjordTenderShip_zpsd1394ac8.jpg

FlamFjordShipMtnsOverBackground_zps53467e4e.jpg

Below is the second group of new visuals not previously posted to give a better idea for many of the visuals options on the rail ride, near the hotel at the top, etc.

Here are four more pictures from in and around Flam. First is a large waterfall view as seen through the window from the moving train. Second is a sample of the view with the patio near the hotel and the train and mountains nearby. Third is me pictured with great background that was taken right near the hotel at the top. Four is another local church with its cemetery that overlooks the water stream flowing down to the village of Flam.:

FlamRailTallWaterfall_zpsfda3d7b3.jpg

FlamRailTopHotelDeckMtns_zpsf061a881.jpg

FlamTerryRailTripTopNearbyView_zps991d954b.jpg

FlamVillageChurchCemetery_zps8749ce30.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
In order to take advantage of our American Airlines’ Frequent Flyer miles, we needed to travel through Heathrow in order to reach Copenhagen. Kind of a hassle, plus the flight timing options available when booking eleven months ahead were not perfect. Problem? NO! We adapted to make things work. We had a seven-hour lay-over at Heathrow and did a short trip to nearby Windsor Castle. The result? What a spectacular castle and setting!!! My wife was worried on rain. No, I said. Had about four drops and the rains stayed away. AccuWeather has called things correctly, so far.

Below are some visual samples for what is there to enjoy at Windsor. If you’re doing a cruise connection to Northern Europe, here’s an option to consider to fill the time and enjoy some great history, art and architecture as you travel enroute. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Windsor Castle, just outside of London and near Heathrow, there is 900 years of history at the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world:

WindsorExterior.jpg

The Waterloo Room at Windsor Castle celebrates with large painting of the key players involved in defeating Napoleon.:

WindsorWaterlooRm.jpg

This Queen’s Reception room at Windsor Castle has spectacular ceilings and architectural detailing, plus nice furniture and paintings. Just like home in the State Apartments. :

WindsorQueenChamber.jpg

St. George's Chapel is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in England with many members of the Royal family buried here with the walled areas of Windsor Castle. This chapel is also the spiritual home of the Order of the Garter.:

WindsorStGeorgeCath.jpg

At Windsor, the Changing of the Guard

takes place at 11:00 daily:

WindsorTroops.jpg

This ceremony also includes a large band with the unique and expected British Royal uniforms and hats.:

WindsorBandExit.jpg

How did you get to Windsor and back to Heathrow in time for your flight? We are thinking of going there also, maybe take the train?

In order to take advantage of our American Airlines’ Frequent Flyer miles, we needed to travel through Heathrow in order to reach Copenhagen. Kind of a hassle, plus the flight timing options available when booking eleven months ahead were not perfect. Problem? NO! We adapted to make things work. We had a seven-hour lay-over at Heathrow and did a short trip to nearby Windsor Castle. The result? What a spectacular castle and setting!!! My wife was worried on rain. No, I said. Had about four drops and the rains stayed away. AccuWeather has called things correctly, so far.

Below are some visual samples for what is there to enjoy at Windsor. If you’re doing a cruise connection to Northern Europe, here’s an option to consider to fill the time and enjoy some great history, art and architecture as you travel enroute. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Windsor Castle, just outside of London and near Heathrow, there is 900 years of history at the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world:

WindsorExterior.jpg

The Waterloo Room at Windsor Castle celebrates with large painting of the key players involved in defeating Napoleon.:

WindsorWaterlooRm.jpg

This Queen’s Reception room at Windsor Castle has spectacular ceilings and architectural detailing, plus nice furniture and paintings. Just like home in the State Apartments. :

WindsorQueenChamber.jpg

St. George's Chapel is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in England with many members of the Royal family buried here with the walled areas of Windsor Castle. This chapel is also the spiritual home of the Order of the Garter.:

WindsorStGeorgeCath.jpg

At Windsor, the Changing of the Guard

takes place at 11:00 daily:

WindsorTroops.jpg

This ceremony also includes a large band with the unique and expected British Royal uniforms and hats.:

WindsorBandExit.jpg

How much time did it take to do the tour and get back to Heathrow? How did you do it?

How did you get to Windsor and back to Heathrow in time for your flight? We are thinking of going there also, maybe take the train?

2ashevillesailors: How much time did it take to do the tour and get back to Heathrow? How did you do it?

Hi' date=' to our NC friend![/b'] Assume you live in or near Ashville, NC, right? Had breakfast yesterday with one of the Ohio people who owns part of your Class A Asheville Tourists baseball team. Great town and area.

On Windsor, we arrived at Heathrow around 6 am or so. Got our bags, checked them and grabbed a cab to go nearby to Windsor. Not cheap, but we were there around 8 am. Windsor did not open until 9 am. Went right in at that earliest time. Toured the area, inside and out, saw the band and changing of the guard, saw the famed chapel, burial locations, etc. Takes about two or three hours to do it "ALL", including the gift shop, etc. Went back to Heathrow Terminal Five mid day in plenty time for our late afternoon flight to Copenhagen. Worked fine. Well worth it. I had been to Windsor previously, but not my wife. She super loved it.

Don't think the train would work as an option. A train goes to Windsor from central London, but don't think you could make it work that well by public transit or train. Cab was simple, quick and easy. Other questions and reactions?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 132,044 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

If you are at Heathrow then you are almost at Windsor, London is in the opposite direction to Windsor! As Terry says it is simplest to get a taxi to Windsor. it would be cheapest to get a Windsor taxi (rather than a black cab) which would cost about £20/£25 each way. I can supply telephone numbers/ details if you want. Alternatively you can get a direct bus from Heathrow to Windsor -again I can get you more details if you want.

Sweep

• 1 month later...
Hi Terry, Fabio here, I read lots of your excellent Norway posts and your amazing pics are beautiful! quick question: we are in Alesund port from 7am-5pm... what is the best way to see Geirangerfljord, and is it doable in such a short amount of time in port? Ive checked the fjord1 website, and it seems that we would have to get from Alesund to Hellesylt , then board the boat there? any suggestions on companies that pickup at the cruise port..and take you to Geirangerfjord? appreciate your expertise....thanks Fabio....you can reply to me on the Adventure of the seas , sep1, forum...or my email...tvlman2@hotmail.com thanks again, and sorry for posting on this NZ forum, but I saw this was your most recent post, and hopefully you will assist us..thanks again. Fabio

Hi, Fabio. I am posting a response on your cruise forum and here. If you have any questions or others have any questions, just post on this link and I will be happy to answer any other questions. I check that site on a fairly regular basis.

Your Iceland/Norway cruise will have stops in Trondheim, Alesund and Olden (Nordfjord). Did not make it to Olden, but we had a stop nearby and we did really enjoy both Alesund and Trondheim.

On getting from Alesund to Geiranger, it might be possible, but it does get a little challenging given the distance, the twisting roads, etc.. And, since your ship departs at 5 pm, you really should be back around 4 pm to your ship. Few tours are going to want to leave as early as at your 7 am docking time. That narrows your timing window down a good bit In fact, it might be easier and better to work out something going from from Olden to Geiranger. Those two locations are closer.

While we were in Alesund, we got a rental car (booked in advance) and went down to Runde Island. Was very fun and interesting to see those sights, take the car ferry on that route, etc.

Appreciate the earlier, added info from sweep on the connections between Heathrow and Windsor. A taxi to Windsor is easier from this large airport.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 113,533 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

If you are super-sure you want to go to Windsor, you may purchase Castle tickets online for a specific day and have them sent to you ahead of time. We did this and it saved us time at the ticket window last October. I believe we were the first ones on the grounds although we were not first in line to get in: the line splits inside to those with tickets and those who must buy tickets. We just showed the guard our tickets and were directed to the security line immediately.

Another hint: if you want to leave the Castle grounds and come back, get a plastic wrist band from the nice lady at the gift shop. When you enter a second time, do not stand in line again, simply show your wrist band to the guard near the front of the ticket line. He will guide you directly to the security check in again.

And my final hint: we did the tower climb which is offered on certain days and times. You can pre-book online. Not a tough climb. Terrific views and good commentary. Small group.

Melissa

IMG_0557.jpg.ef952effda67e3f2e0b2b1efa66983be.jpg

hi Terry, thanks again for all the great info on Norway, you are correct, there will not be enough time in Alesund to go to Geirangerfjord. (unless we rent a car?)

Also, I could not find any info on Olden to Geirangerfjord, any suggestions?

thanks Fabio

• 3 weeks later...
hi Terry, thanks again for all the great info on Norway, you are correct, there will not be enough time in Alesund to go to Geirangerfjord. (unless we rent a car?) Also, I could not find any info on Olden to Geirangerfjord, any suggestions? thanks Fabio

Sorry for my delay in responding. You might go to this webpage and use the e-mail suggested to contact the tourism office for Olden. Ask them for their suggestions and options. Go to:

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Where-to-go-us/Fjord-Norway/Stryn--Nordfjord/Tourist-information-for-Norfjord/

Here is another webpage that might offer some options and links to consider:

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Product/?pid=32616

Overall the challenge is that these ports on the interiors for the fjords are fairly small and their tourism season is fairly short. Unlike some other cruise ports in the Med and Carib, the local offerings are harder to find and more limited. Plus, costs higher. Keep digging and looking. Good luck.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 139,424 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 1 month later...

Appreciate that this live/blog has now gone over 120,000 views. Glad so many have dropped by. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions. Now less than 100 days from starting our Sydney to Auckland, 14-day cruise with lots of pre-sailing excitement in Australia and after in Hawaii, etc. We really super loved Copenhagen from our two visits to this charming city such great character, history and architecture. Not cheap, but wonderful. Lots of good ideas and options are noted below in these two recent news articles.

From the Daily Mail in London this past week, they have this headline: "The wonderful food of Copenhagen: Fine fare and gourmet thrills in the Danish capital" with these highlights: "Copenhagen has a reputation as a thriving culinary city. I was pleasantly surprised to find that rather than the traditional smørbrød, herring and berries, there was an international flavour, including the Singapore Street Food Festival - invited by Claus Meyer, chef at the city's Asian restaurant Nam Nam. A chief proponent of the New Nordic Cuisine movement, he was a co-founder of Noma, and since Copenhagen's most famous gastronomic restaurant was named Pelligrino's Best Restaurant in the World three years in a row, there has been a culinary explosion in the city. There is now a choice of 13 Copenhagen restaurants sharing 15 Michelin stars (Noma and Geranium hold two each). I can highly recommend one of the newest members of the Michelin star club - Kadeau in Christianshavn. The blue mussels, beans and beach herbs in green strawberry wine were really fresh and the gravad duck breast with rosehips delicious. I like food that contains fewer chemicals and the Danish law against supermarkets any larger than 3,500m² seems sound. It means small businesses thrive. In Torvehallerne market on Israels Plads, food stalls sell everything from tapas, cheese, chocolate, cupcakes and beer to flavoured porridge, olive oil, seafood, fresh fruit and veg. A bicycle taxi took us to nearby Jaegorsborggade, a culinary hive of activity. Despite once being a rough area, this street has been transformed. Now the Michelin-starred Relae stands proudly by sister restaurant Manfreds, the aroma of fresh bread wafts from Meyers Bakery, tantalising roast coffee drifts from the Coffee Collective, and the smell of caramel oozes from Karamelleriet. My stomach's rumbling just thinking about it. My favourite was an urban rooftop picnic at the Axelborg conference centre, inspired by chef Rasmus Bo Bojesen and his partner Pernille Lützhøft."

From CNN on Oct. 2, they have this headline: "10 things to know before visiting Copenhagen" on a story tied to chef, best-selling author and television personality Anthony Bourdain. The show is in connection with his return for a second season of "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown." For his October 6 show, he visited the Danish capital, Copenhagen with a few of these highlights: "Copenhagen: not only the capital of the happiest country on Earth -- officially -- but also probably the center of the designer goods universe."

Here are just a few of his tips/items: "1. The Danes are the happiest people on the planet: According to the UN's 2013 World Happiness Report, Denmark, with a score of 7.6, beats every other country on a global happiness scale from zero to 10. The United States, by contrast, isn't especially happy. It came in in 17th place, between Mexico and Ireland.

2. A lot of Copenhageners cycle -- fast: Ever tried commuting to work by bike in a frenetic city such as London, New York or Beijing? Do it and you realize cyclists are still second-class citizens in many cities.

The situation is reversed in Copenhagen, where half of the people pedal to work.

3. Copenhagen is glittering with Michelin stars: This small city boasts 15 Michelin stars, and several Noma chefs have gone on to set up their own outfits with equally stimulating menus.

5. Home is where the Danish designer goods are: Copenhagen is rich with design-led stores selling trendy lights, ingenious kitchenware, cheerful home furnishings and exquisite glass and ceramics.

6. Copenhagen is extra-green: The Danish capital has electric buses, recycling-crazy citizens, clean harbors and shops selling clothes made from organic bamboo. Three-quarters of the food served in public institutions is organic.

7. Tivoli will suck you in: Opened in 1843, Tivoli is the world's second-oldest amusement park and a much-loved attraction in this family-friendly city.

8. The Danes are clever clogs: The Danes invented lots of things we didn't know needed inventing.

9. Denmark doesn't have the euro: It's a surprise to many, but Denmark isn't on the euro, but the krone (crown). "

Many more details, specific shops, dining places, etc., are cited in these two full stories.

Full stories at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2446495/Copenhagen-weekend-breaks-Great-food-Danish-capitals-brilliant-restaurants.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/travel/copenhagen-travel-bourdain-10-things/

If Venice is one of your key stops for the future, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had 30,680 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226