Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

Appreciate so much the added info from jpalbny. Very helpful to add this background to share with others. Good work!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,626 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

pattiemc,

My wife and I took the Norwegian Coast trip (on Silversea) in 2011 - the year after Terry in Ohio. It was one of the very best trips we have ever taken. Our itinerary did not include Longyearbyen but we did stop in Gravdal and Honningsvåg so I can comment on those two ports.

Our trip was scheduled to stop twice in the Lofoten Islands - in Gravdal on the way north and in Svolvær on the way back south. However, due to a port strike the day we were to dock in Svolvær, both our landings were in Gravdal. This turned out to be a very fortuitous complication. Since we had booked a cruise line excursion in Svolvær on the southbound stop, the buses picked us up in Gravdal and we had a bonus 45 miles sightseeing excursion between the two ports. The scenery on this connecting passage was jaw-dropping gorgeous. (I admit that we were fortunate to have absolutely beautiful, clear weather.) I was sitting in a window seat on the bus and took several hundred shots - each one more striking than the one before. I recall that on his trip Terry rented a car and drove south from Gradval to the town of Å. He also reported magnificent scenery. The lesson, I think, is that for your stop in Gravdal either take an offered excursion that travels at least 20 miles from town or rent a car. Both Gravdal and Svolvær are nice place to see but neither would give you any reason to believe that the Lofoten Islands are THE vacation destination for Norwegians themselves. Find some way to be able to see the natural landscape. (The trip back from Svolvær to Gravdal was just as beautiful It was so nice I was glad we got to see it twice.)

Our excursion included a stop in a tiny village called Henningsvær. If you need a destination for your outing this will certainly do - it is about 35 miles northeast of Gravdal. This place was as picturesque as it gets. Lovely fishing cottages in bright colors reflected in glass smooth crystal clear water. There also is a one man art museum (occupying three floors) in town well worth seeing.

The only reason for a cruise to stop in Honningsvåg is to take the bus trip to Nordkapp (North Cape), claimed to be the northern most point of Europe. Your cruise line will certainly offer this excursion. NorthKapp is at the point where the Atlantic Ocean and the Arctic Ocean meet. We were very much looking forward to the chance to look down from the 1,000 foot high cliff for our first sighting of the Arctic Ocean. Unfortunately, this was one of the only bad weather days of our cruise. The Cape was completely fogged in. There were about twenty bus loads of tourists in the parking lot (and this was at midnight) but no one could see more than about 50 feet in spite of the fact that the sun was shining brightly above all the fog and clouds. Nevertheless we certainly could say that we were there and the Visitors' Center had plenty to see that was unique to this unique point on the globe. After re-boarding our ship our route took us past NordKapp (at about 3 AM) so we could see most of the face of the cliff. The very top was still in fog as we sailed by.

-Peter

Appreciate so much the added, helpful insights and sharing from Peter in the Boston area. Wonderful work!!

We are now less than a year away from and so looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, doing 14 days on this ship we used for the Med in June 2011 going from Australia to Auckland/NZ. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. Any special secrets and tips in these areas to share from others who have been here previously?? And, we will probably do post-cruise in Queenstown and stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for this "adventure".

THANKS for the good comments from Kirk! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 116,121 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry, we've been there. Not to hijack your expertise, but hope you don't mind if I take a crack at answering that part of the question... We were there in August 2011 when we embarked on our Silver Explorer Arctic cruise.

The highlight of Longyearbyen is the Svalbard museum. It's an hour or maybe less to tour, but the exhibits are interesting. They go over some of the history and they have some exhibits to illustrate what it's like to live as a trapper, miner, etc. in Arctic conditions. There are more impressive Arctic museums elsewhere, though, so if you've seen a few already, it may be redundant.

The town itself is tiny; just one main street running perpendicular to the coast, up the hill; another coastal road connects the town to the pier, and further on, to the airport. There are a few shops which we didn't bother to look at, and a grocery store that we did investigate out of curiosity. Otherwise, hard to spend more than 2 hours in town.

Word of warning: you can't go far out of town on your own without a weapon. Polar bears do roam wild in the area. People get attacked, though it's safe to walk from town back to the dock. Don't know if there are any "tours" offered by the cruise line - would be interesting to see what they'd do in that port, because I don't think there's much in the surrounding area that can be reached by land. The town only owns a few buses, so options are limited; I think our (small) ship of 132 passengers filled all 4 buses.

It's also pretty hard to find information about this part of the world - the only book I could ever find was a Bradt Travel Guide called "Spitzbergen: Svalbard, Franz Josef Land, Jan Mayen" which is of minimal assistance in planning what to do on Longyearbyen. But the history in the book will make for interesting reading during the passage north...

The highlight of our trip to Spitsbergen on the Celebrity Constellation in June 2012 was a 2 hour bus trip with “Svalbard Maxi Taxi” which cost 275 kroner each. The guide spoke very good English, with a Norwegian accent of course and was very entertaining with his commentary. The web link is - "http://www.svalbard.net/index.php?c=209&kat=Other+activities"

Instead of a mini bus we thought we were going in, he provided a large old 50 seater bus and a very small number of very lucky cruise passengers were able to get on it without a booking. Every seat was taken, so if anyone wants to guarantee a seat on it,on a future trip there, IMHO it is best to book it in advance.

Technically there is not much to see this far north - no grass, trees etc, although we did see some small patches of colourful hardy flowers, and just barren permafrost ground with snow still on the surrounding mountains, but I would highly recommend this trip to you. It’s one of the very few ways to get to see beyond the town of Longyearbyen. We did see some stark scenery - the cloud was very low in the sky for much of the day, but it was dry. We did see wild reindeer (even within the town itself actually), but no Polar Bears unfortunately. If you go to within 600 miles of the North Pole by getting to Spitsbergen, you might as well see as much of it as you can.

I also enjoyed visiting the world's most northerly Church. I am not really a religious person but I do like looking inside churches at their architecture, stained glass windows etc. This particular one was very homely, you had to take your shoes off and put on some indoor shoes that are available in the entrance on the lower floor. I can imagine that it will be a very popular meeting place during the long winter months the locals have to endure in Longyearbyen. You can get a coffee, tea and biscuits there; you just boil the kettle yourself and leave some money in the “honesty box”. I don’t think that crime is an issue here and generally cruise ship passengers are honest people too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thank you SOOO MUCH for this amazing review and the wonderful pictures that bring it all to life for us sitting at home on our couches!

I am starting to plan a trip for our extended family including my elderly parents for 2014 summer. We would like to take a very scenic cruise that they can enjoy from the ship if they don't get off the ship. Which itiniary would you recommend, Northern Europe or Norwegian Fjords?

I have read some wonderful reviews of the Norwegian Fjord cruises but the weather seems quite cold.

Would a Northern Europe (to St P's) be as scenic? Would they enjoy it if they stayed on the ship? Is the weather a little better perhaps?

Thanks! Katherine

Hi there, Thank you SOOO MUCH for this amazing review and the wonderful pictures that bring it all to life for us sitting at home on our couches! I am starting to plan a trip for our extended family including my elderly parents for 2014 summer. We would like to take a very scenic cruise that they can enjoy from the ship if they don't get off the ship. Which itiniary would you recommend, Northern Europe or Norwegian Fjords? I have read some wonderful reviews of the Norwegian Fjord cruises but the weather seems quite cold. Would a Northern Europe (to St P's) be as scenic? Would they enjoy it if they stayed on the ship? Is the weather a little better perhaps?

Thanks! Katherine

Hi Terry, I just read your WHOLE amazing, wonderful review!!! WOW!! Fabulous photography (LOL to the folks on the thread who keep asking what kind of camera you have -- as it is 99% the photographer and 1% the equipment). Great details! My parents are not wheelchair bound but they both have heart conditions so walking distancer or up hills is out. But they could do a bus type of tour as long as they don't have to get out. Is it possible to rent cars in some of these ports? They have done that in the past and worked out well. After reading your review, I am thinking Norway would be better than the larger cities of a Baltic/N European cruise. Thanks! Katherine

Hotshot80: Not to hijack your expertise' date=' but hope you don't mind if I take a crack at answering that part of the question... We were there in August 2011 when we embarked on our Silver Explorer Arctic cruise. The highlight of Longyearbyen is the Svalbard museum. [/quote']

YES, great that Hotshot80 offered some of the various highlight of Longyearbyen, etc. Very helpful for those considering that option.

Hi, to Katherine from San Diego! Appreciate so much your follow-up and kind comments. On your key question of "Which itiniary would you recommend, Northern Europe or Norwegian Fjords?", the quick answer is that both are great, but very different in the focus and what you will see/experience.

As somebody who loves history, architecture, culture, etc., the Baltics/Russia were wonderful for us and our interests. BUT, your scenic views from the ship are fairly limited in the Baltics. In that northern Europe region, it is about the cities, museums, palaces, etc., in each of the various capitals and ports. Can't see much in most cases from the ship. The Baltics will be a little warmer, but still somewhat cool and comfortable, generally. Unlike San Diego, things do change and vary more in this part of Europe, whether it is the Baltics or Norway coast. You can see from my pictures that our July weather was overall very good.

There are many other cruise options to consider. Part of the "bottom line" is that no one cruise will be totally "perfect" in hitting just the best ports you want, timing fitting exactly, having ideal pricing and ship size/offerings, etc. You will have to weigh various trade-offs and factors to find what best fits the biggest range of your needs and interests. Keep researching and planning. You've got time given your 2014 target date.

Glad to know that your "parents are not wheelchair bound". That helps!!! In Norway, you will find the land costs high and some tour options more limited. BUT, as our trip demonstrates, it can be put together, etc. Rental cars are possible, plus some smaller tour options. The first challenge, however, is to focus on which cruise and line works best for you. Then, you can work later on the various options and potentials for what you do and how in these various ports.

Added questions and needs??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 95,376 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...
pattiemc,

My wife and I took the Norwegian Coast trip (on Silversea) in 2011 - the year after Terry in Ohio. It was one of the very best trips we have ever taken. Our itinerary did not include Longyearbyen but we did stop in Gravdal and Honningsvåg so I can comment on those two ports.

Our trip was scheduled to stop twice in the Lofoten Islands - in Gravdal on the way north and in Svolvær on the way back south. However, due to a port strike the day we were to dock in Svolvær, both our landings were in Gravdal. This turned out to be a very fortuitous complication. Since we had booked a cruise line excursion in Svolvær on the southbound stop, the buses picked us up in Gravdal and we had a bonus 45 miles sightseeing excursion between the two ports. The scenery on this connecting passage was jaw-dropping gorgeous. (I admit that we were fortunate to have absolutely beautiful, clear weather.) I was sitting in a window seat on the bus and took several hundred shots - each one more striking than the one before. I recall that on his trip Terry rented a car and drove south from Gradval to the town of Å. He also reported magnificent scenery. The lesson, I think, is that for your stop in Gravdal either take an offered excursion that travels at least 20 miles from town or rent a car. Both Gravdal and Svolvær are nice place to see but neither would give you any reason to believe that the Lofoten Islands are THE vacation destination for Norwegians themselves. Find some way to be able to see the natural landscape. (The trip back from Svolvær to Gravdal was just as beautiful It was so nice I was glad we got to see it twice.)

Our excursion included a stop in a tiny village called Henningsvær. If you need a destination for your outing this will certainly do - it is about 35 miles northeast of Gravdal. This place was as picturesque as it gets. Lovely fishing cottages in bright colors reflected in glass smooth crystal clear water. There also is a one man art museum (occupying three floors) in town well worth seeing.

The only reason for a cruise to stop in Honningsvåg is to take the bus trip to Nordkapp (North Cape), claimed to be the northern most point of Europe. Your cruise line will certainly offer this excursion. NorthKapp is at the point where the Atlantic Ocean and the Arctic Ocean meet. We were very much looking forward to the chance to look down from the 1,000 foot high cliff for our first sighting of the Arctic Ocean. Unfortunately, this was one of the only bad weather days of our cruise. The Cape was completely fogged in. There were about twenty bus loads of tourists in the parking lot (and this was at midnight) but no one could see more than about 50 feet in spite of the fact that the sun was shining brightly above all the fog and clouds. Nevertheless we certainly could say that we were there and the Visitors' Center had plenty to see that was unique to this unique point on the globe. After re-boarding our ship our route took us past NordKapp (at about 3 AM) so we could see most of the face of the cliff. The very top was still in fog as we sailed by.

-Peter

Thank you for the info. I am going to look into both ship excursions and the idea of renting a car in Gravdal. Husband a little nervous about driving in a foreign country but I'll talk more to Terry about this.

Terry,

I've read your blog several times and enjoy it more each time I read it. We are taking a similar cruise this summer and have reserved a car in Honningsvag and the Bird Safari on the Aurora. We also live in Columbus and I am a big fan of our zoo and can't wait to see the birds, especially the puffins.

We have rented a car in Leknes that is about 3 miles from the port in Gravdal. Did you find it difficult to get from the port to the rental agency? I believe someone posted that they found it hard to find a cab in the port. Also, we will need to get back to the ship after we drop off the car. How did you manage?

Thanks for all the info and the beautiful pictures.

Nancy

Thank you for the info. I am going to look into both ship excursions and the idea of renting a car in Gravdal. Husband a little nervous about driving in a foreign country but I'll talk more to Terry about this.

bob_cat: Terry' date=' I've read your blog several times and enjoy it more each time I read it. We are taking a similar cruise this summer and have reserved a car in Honningsvag and the Bird Safari on the Aurora. We also live in Columbus and I am a big fan of our zoo and can't wait to see the birds, especially the puffins. We have rented a car in Leknes that is about 3 miles from the port in Gravdal. Did you find it difficult to get from the port to the rental agency? I believe someone posted that they found it hard to find a cab in the port. Also, we will need to get back to the ship after we drop off the car. How did you manage? Thanks for all the info and the beautiful pictures. Nancy [/quote']

Appreciate so much the nice comments, follow-up and questions from both the Texas friend and especially our "neighbor" here in Central Ohio. We had rental cars at three different locations in Norway. Highway conditions were excellent and traffic was very, very light in these areas along the Norway coast. These are not heavily populated locations, making the driving easy. On the super scenic Lofoten Islands, it is even easier as there is only, just one main highway going up and down this area. Hard to get much simpler than that for navigating, traveling.

In getting our rental car, it was fairly simple as cabs were there and it was just a matter of going from the docking place to the nearby Toyota car sales/rental location. When we were done, they were nice enough to drive us back the short distance to our ship docking location. Our ship was fairly small. It is hard to predict how things would be when each of you arrive on the number of cabs available. As I roughly remember, there was someone from the local tourism office near the ship docking place. They could probably call to get cabs as needed when people come off. Others have mentioned that some rental companies might be able to make arrangements to have the car there for you at or nearer to the docking location.

As an added treat/bonus for Nancy and her wildlife love, below are a few added pictures from the Bird Island area that had not been posted previously.

Any added questions, needs or interests? Keep it coming!! It's fun sharing.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 120,664 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here are more in and around Gjesvaer, near the North Cape. First of a harbor scene/mountain/docking area scene. Second is a closer view of two reindeer on the road to this village. Third of my wife and Janet in our small charter boat with the special warm suits they furnish to protect against the elements going out to the Bird Island. Fourth, an example of the massive number of puffins in the waters. Finally, some of the birds flying against the backdrop of the rocks.:

BirdIslandVillageWaterDocking_zps3c6365cb.jpg

BirdIslandReindeerTwoCloser_zpse4bbb70a.jpg

BirdIslandSmallBoatSuits_zpsc909474b.jpg

BirdIslandSeaOfPuffins_zpsfea01bf2.jpg

BirdIslandRocksWhiteFlying_zps8a2ca852.jpg

Wow Wow Wow.....Terry, I started reading this thread after your pictures shared in Dublin Ireland. I can see that this cruise is a must do as well! We are from Columbus Ohio as well and LOVED the fellow Buckeye pose. Thanks for sharing such a fantastic review of your cruise and pictures.I truly feel like I went right along with you!!

Linda

Terry, Thanks for the update and the awesome photos! We can't wait, and we'll be sure to say Hi to Roald for you. Happy trails, Nancy

lkmamom: Wow Wow Wow.....Terry' date=' I started reading this thread after your pictures shared in Dublin Ireland. I can see that this cruise is a must do as well! We are from Columbus Ohio as well and LOVED the fellow Buckeye pose. Thanks for sharing such a fantastic review of your cruise and pictures.I truly feel like I went right along with you!!

Linda [/quote']

You should have no problem using your card in a Norwegian ATM. I have never had a visitor from the US (or anywhere else) have an issue with this. Typically the only places that have trouble accepting foreign cards are fast-food places (and some temporary tent stalls in less-touristy situations). In those cases, it's not because of the magnetic-strip vs. chip issue; they only accept debit cards that are part of the local Norwegian system. I've had foreign visitors have problems at a McDonald's and a local late-night kebab stand, even with a chip-and-pin card. However, taxis, most convenience stores, sit-down restaurants, shops, and tourist attractions can typically accept foreign cards and are equipped for both magnetic-strip and chip-and-pin cards. Keep in mind that at less tourist-friendly places the staff may not be familiar with how to use the magnetic-strip reader with their registers.

Appreciate so much the super nice comments and great wisdom from both Nancy and Linda. Makes my day!!

Also for those planning on future Norway travels, above is a wonderful summary from the always helpful/wise Meg in Oslo. Excellent and interesting background. I have shared this info from another board to help those in planning and preparing for any visits to Norway. As noted previously, things can be costly in Norway and parts of the Baltics due to the high labor costs, tax levels, others business expenses, etc. For us, we had no credit card problems while traveling during all of our time in Norway. Worked well without needing any type of chip in our card.

Keep the good comments, questions, etc., rolling along. Happy to share more.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 121,723 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

• 3 weeks later...

Super appreciate the great interest in this live/blog!! This reporting from our 2010 Norway Coast adventure went over 100,000 views this week, plus the Solstice June 2011 report just went over 124,000 views. Good to have smart, interested folks checking things out. As I have mentioned previously, it is fun sharing, especially when you have others involved, being interested, helping, being supportive, etc.

It's bright and sunny today and tomorrow in Central Ohio. BUT, the snow and bad weather come storming back on Sunday. Good reasons to look forward to the sun and excitements of Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand in early 2014. Will plan on doing a live/blog for that trip.

We are doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night to and in Queenstown and the stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,010 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Really looking forward to it Terry. You are the Master!

Silver Spectre: You are the Man Terry!

Appreciate so super much the kind comments and encouragement from our friends in London and Colorado. Love London' date=' but need to do more in Colorado. Not been there, yet. Been all around Colorado, but not to that state itself. Have good friends living in Colorado Springs who will be on our upcoming Australia-NZ cruise. They have a big, new home overlooking the Broadmoor and want us to visit out them there. Just trying to work out the schedules. Lots of places to visit, things to, etc. But only so much time and money.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,173 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Love London, but need to do more in Colorado. Not been there, yet. Been all around Colorado, but not to that state itself. Have good friends living in Colorado Springs who will be on our upcoming Australia-NZ cruise. They have a big, new home overlooking the Broadmoor and want us to visit out them there.
Being a former Midwesterner myself, be careful visiting your friends in Colorado Terry. You may never return to Ohio. I won't spoil it for you. You'll understand what I mean when you spend a little time here. Edited by Stumblefoot

Too many people buiding you up Terry; admit I love your stuff, but we all need to cool it:D All I need to say is keep up the good work!

+1 -- abundant sources of information available from many sources -- stick to photos.

Being a former Midwesterner myself, be careful visiting your friends in Colorado Terry. You may never return to Ohio. I won't spoil it for you. You'll understand what I mean when you spend a little time here.

newlondon: Too many people buiding you up Terry; admit I love your stuff' date=' but we all need to cool it All I need to say is keep up the good work! [/quote']

dusababy: +1 -- abundant sources of information available from many sources -- stick to photos.

Appreciate the nice and added comments. Yes' date=' I am sure that I will love Colorado. BUT, our friends just had their first grandchild. Born in the DC area where their daughter is completing her military medical training. The daughter, family and grandson will be based in that area for the next four or so years. So they will have a tug and pull of Colorado versus being closer to the grandchild. For us, our two grandsons (age eight-months and 30-months) are in Charlottesville, Va. Don't think we will want to be that far away from the grandchildren by moving to Colorado.

Nice to have options and such variety in life, setting, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,555 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 3 weeks later...

This really looks like an amazing journey! Just had a quick look at the pictures, will read all the reviews later when I'm home!

But after seeing the beautiful pictures I look forward to my cruise even more :D

Thanks for giving me that link.

This really looks like an amazing journey! Just had a quick look at the pictures, will read all the reviews later when I'm home!

But after seeing the beautiful pictures I look forward to my cruise even more :D Thanks for giving me that link.

Appreciate your nice and kind comments. Good luck on your upcoming cruise. Let me know any added questions or needs for any of these ports. My mother's maiden name is Goeckerman with a solid 100% German background. Happy to help more, especially for someone from Germany!!

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,536 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

Appreciate your nice and kind comments. Good luck on your upcoming cruise. Let me know any added questions or needs for any of these ports. My mother's maiden name is Goeckerman with a solid 100% German background. Happy to help more, especially for someone from Germany!!

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,536 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

Thank you Terry! I "worked" through the whole thread last night and got even more excited when I saw all the pictures :)

We won't get as far north as you have been, only the south and west of Norway but still looking forward to see the Fjords and little wooden houses...

Awww, do you know from which part of Germany your ancestors were?

• 1 month later...

Terry,

Just an incredible blog and photos.

I would really appreciate it if you could use your experience and provide advice on what you would recommend to a first time visitor to the following Norway Fjords / ports: Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Olden, and Bergen.

We are taking a cruise in early May 2014, and have never been to this area before. We will be in each port at least 8 hours.

What activities would you recommend in each port during an 8 hour visit ... it doesn't have to be the same as you did because you may have other suggestions after your visits? If you have info on tours, car rentals, etc., we would appreciate contact info. Also if you recall approximate cost and time for each activity that would be terrific. Anything else that you can think of would be very helpful.

Thanks so much,

Bill