Salerno to Capri

tcocktail

Hello, just found this thread while looking at things to do in Italian ports. We are travelling to Europe next year and have a stop at Naples. Two years ago we did pompei and mt. vesuvius so this time I wanted to look into Amalfi and Capri. The cruise is next May and I would like to know if there is the Capri ferry at the port or somewhere else?? where can I find information about this ferry so that I see if I can manage to do the trip during the time allotted.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly about the St. Petersburg visa saga. I had the same thing happen to us when we booked a private two day tour in St. Pts. and were told by Carnival that we would not be able to get off the ship unless we had their tour. Alot of people in our tour cancelled as they were afraid of not seeing anything and our tour operator kept telling us that most cruise ships use this "tactic" to scare the tourists into buying with them and not independent tour operators.

Nowadays we try and do as many "Private" tours as possible and meet up with other cruisers who want to save money and do their own thing.

Any information anyone can give me on the ports of Naples, Genoa and civittavecchia would be greatly appreciated.

Ave

Hello, just found this thread while looking at things to do in Italian ports. We are travelling to Europe next year and have a stop at Naples. Two years ago we did pompei and mt. vesuvius so this time I wanted to look into Amalfi and Capri. The cruise is next May and I would like to know if there is the Capri ferry at the port or somewhere else?? where can I find information about this ferry so that I see if I can manage to do the trip during the time allotted.

Any information anyone can give me on the ports of Naples, Genoa and civittavecchia would be greatly appreciated.

Ave

Going to Capri is very easy since the ferry terminal (its where you can grab a jet boat or hydrofoil to Capri) is just a few minute walk from the ship (its right on your left as you exit the cruise port). Amalfi is a totally different situation (you should use the search feature and read some of the prior posts) and really does not work well with a trip to Capri. We think the Amalfi Coast is best explored as a full day trip (we have stayed on the coast for more then 2 weeks) and trying to combine the Amalfi Coast with Capri would, at best, not leave you with enough time to fully appreciate both places.

Hank

Hi,

We are planning a trip for May of 2011 and one of the stops will be Naples. I would love to do the Amalfi coast and Capri but it sounds like that will be a stretch. The ship docks at 7am and leaves at 6:30pm. If we go over to Capri early in the morning and head back in early afternoon would that give us enough time to at least see Pompeii / Mount Vesuvius in the afternoon?

Hi,

We are planning a trip for May of 2011 and one of the stops will be Naples. I would love to do the Amalfi coast and Capri but it sounds like that will be a stretch. The ship docks at 7am and leaves at 6:30pm. If we go over to Capri early in the morning and head back in early afternoon would that give us enough time to at least see Pompeii / Mount Vesuvius in the afternoon?

Yes. You wouldn't return to Naples before Pompei, you'd go Naples Molo Beverello to Capri, then Capri to Sorrento (both by ferry or hydrofoil), Sorrento to Pompei by Circumvesuviana train, and Pompei back to Naples by the train. By Vesuvius I'm assuming you mean seeing it from the train as you go by ... there wouldn't be time to actually go there and go to Pompei as well.

Edited by euro cruiser

Yes. You wouldn't return to Naples before Pompei, you'd go Naples Molo Beverello to Capri, then Capri to Sorrento (both by ferry or hydrofoil), Sorrento to Pompei by Circumvesuviana train, and Pompei back to Naples by the train. By Vesuvius I'm assuming you mean seeing it from the train as you go by ... there wouldn't be time to actually go there and go to Pompei as well.

Thanks for the info.......yes it was actually either or as far as Pompeii / Vesuvius.

I am torn between the Amalfi coast and Capri at the moment......there is a ship excursion that does both but it seems like it would be rushed and we would end up short changing ourselves.

Any opinions for a first timer and who knows maybe an only timer as far as which to do?

Thanks for the info.......yes it was actually either or as far as Pompeii / Vesuvius.

I am torn between the Amalfi coast and Capri at the moment......there is a ship excursion that does both but it seems like it would be rushed and we would end up short changing ourselves.

Any opinions for a first timer and who knows maybe an only timer as far as which to do?

A couple of quick questions. Are the terminals and train statios within walking distnece for these connections or would we need a cab. It sounds like the ferries to Capri are close to where we dock but I am not sure about the others. Also should we purchase tickets in advannce or getting them me dya ok. Thas for your help.

Yes, the cruise port and the Molo Beverello ferry slips are next to each other in Naples.

At Sorrento, I believe there is a shuttle bus up the hill from the port to the train station, but it's been several years since I've been there. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will enlighten us.

Back at Naples, the train station (Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana) is a little over a mile from the cruise port (Molo Beverello). You can walk, take a cab, or the tram back to your ship.

Euro Cruiser has it all correct (as usual). And yes, they still do have a shuttle bus running from the Sorrento ferry pier up the hill to the train station (and town) although the schedule is pretty elusive.

Hank

Tickets: I'll be on Constellation September 30, but tendered in Salerno. Not sure how early we can depart ship for land, but hope to catch the 8:40 ferry to Capri. Not sure how to find the ferry and there are rumors the ferry service is subject to change that late in the season. Hate to settle for the expensive Capri tour offered thru Celebrity. Has anyone considered/used a private charter?

Tickets: I'll be on Constellation September 30, but tendered in Salerno. Not sure how early we can depart ship for land, but hope to catch the 8:40 ferry to Capri. Not sure how to find the ferry and there are rumors the ferry service is subject to change that late in the season. Hate to settle for the expensive Capri tour offered thru Celebrity. Has anyone considered/used a private charter?

Hi,

I have only just begun my research as the cruise I am looking at is in May of 2011 so I haven't gotten that far yet. The one I am looking at is the Equinox which from what I am reading is docking in Naples so I would be able to walk to the ferries.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheffip--The only ferry that runs in October is Coop Sant"Andrea. I do not know yet if we dock nearby that pier or can get to it.

Hmmm...Looks like the only option may be the Celebrity excursion. Has anyone taken it? Reviews?

Does the cruise line "rent" a hydrofoil for the day for its excursion passengers to get to Capri and back?

Any idea how long the trip is between Salerno and Capri and what to expect in terms of rough seas in October?

Hmmm...Looks like the only option may be the Celebrity excursion. Has anyone taken it? Reviews?

Does the cruise line "rent" a hydrofoil for the day for its excursion passengers to get to Capri and back?

Any idea how long the trip is between Salerno and Capri and what to expect in terms of rough seas in October?

Hello Cheffip,

I doubt that Celebrity rents a hydrofoil. I really think that they use the same one everyone else uses. I have been told that the trip can take about two hours because of two stops that have to be made along the way.

We really had our minds set on visiting Capri when we go in September, however now I am debating if it will even be worth it because of the distance and time constraints. I'm not even clear on the return times.

• 4 years later...
Too true. It's the same as cruise lines giving you the impression that unless you take their tours in St Petersburg, you'll have to arrange your own visa. I believe very little the cruise line tells me.

Yeah, we heard the same thing on Princess about St. Pete visas in Russia. What-evvs. We had pre-booked a tour company that was recommended on tripadvisor. It was fantastic! They were very professional, 40% cheaper than Princess, and compared to what we heard about the Princess tour, it was a much smaller tour and more personal.

I will be docking in Salerno the third week of October on Celebrity Equinox. Since I've been on the Amalfi Coast several times and Capri once, I was planning to just look around Salerno. But I, too, will be interested in what you find out in September.