Livorno to Lucca

Cosmo Gold

Livorno Centrale to Pisa Centrale. Change train to Lucca.

One of the morning trains (leaving Livorno at 8:43) is an IC. In theory these offer seat reservations. Also they are higher priced than the normal (for this route) regional trains. If caught on-board with only a normal ticket (oen for the regional trains), you will pay a fine on the spot.

The trip takes a little over an hour.

In case you want something a bit different, a block or two from the Lucca train station (on the way to the closest gate to the old city) is a decent Chinese restaurant).

We are taking the train from Liverno to Lucca and then Lucca to Pisa, getting off at Pisa, doing the tower and then Pisa to Liverno. How often do these trains run? Can this information be viewed on the Termini website? Get very confused on the train website. Want to time it so we have enough time to see Lucca and then get to Pisa for the tower climb. Back to Liverno around 6:00 pm, ship departs at 7:00. Thanks.

Here is the Trenitalia website in English: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c79686605528a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

You may have been having trouble a) because Termini is just a station in Rome, not a website and b) the port city is spelled "LivOrno", not with an 'e'.

FWIW I would not pre-purchase tickets--just use the website to get the times.

Cathy

Thanks for all the info, will do as suggested. This will be a great help. I have the directions from Euro Cruiser downloaded from a previous post. Need to be sure of train times so I can order our tickets for the tower. I know I can't order them until 9/1 but I like to be prepared. Have too much else going on right now and it will be extremely busy for us in July and August.

VERY HELPFUL, I have all the information I need except I do have 1 question, Euro Cruiser there are 2 stations listed for Pisa San Rossore, one has a 't' at the end and in the listing is path in station. I check the train numbers and they are different. Which should I be looking at, with or without the 't' at the end. Thanks for all the help

Well, you've stumped me on this one, I don't know if I've ever seen a "t" like this before. I just ran the schedule to find it, and it appears when the train you are connecting to is an "urban" train, vs. the national train line. It shouldn't make any difference, in fact, I don't even know which ones I've been one when I've made this trip.

San Rossore is an odd little station where two sets of tracks merge, one going north and the other northeast. Perhaps this refers to the fact that you've got to cross over from one set of tracks to the other? (There are underground passages to do this.)

To see the details of a particular train, click on "selection" (seleziona in Italian), then "details for selection" (dettagli per selezione), then when that comes up click on "info". Now you will see every stop along the way.

Well that's a fun little thing to do. I guess it really doesn't matter which we are on as long as we get off at Pisa San Rossore. With all this help I think I finally have the stop in Livorno figered out. Thanks for all the great help. Italy & Turkey done, now just have to work out Greece and Monte Carlo!!! All this and plan a wedding!!!!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

The Livorno Centrale station, located at Piazza Dante, is about two and a quarter miles from the port.

Livorno is a huge, primarily industrial port. To get from the port to the station you will have several options:

• Take a taxi from your ship to the station. Taxis usually line up right next to the ship and charge about 20 Euro for a one way trip to the station. You can share the cab with others to reduce the cost.

• Use the shuttle provided by your cruise line (most charge for this service) to Piazza del Municipio, where you can buy a ticket for the local bus (#1); walk one block to Piazza Dante to get the bus to the train station

• Take the free port bus (if you can find it, rumor has it that it does still run but not as frequently as one might want) to the port entrance and walk to the station

I prefer the taxi option, after making the mistake last summer of the shuttle bus to the public bus. There were busloads of us all doing the same thing at the same time, it was a zoo.

You might as well puchase round trip tickets, just to avoid standing in line twice in the day. You will get two one way regional tickets, good on any regional train between Livorno and Lucca, so you won't be tied to a particular train because you bought them ahead.

Saw mention of Lucca and just wanted to mention that we visited that city for the first time last month. Liked it very much. Nice place to bike. There are several bike rental shops. Enjoy!

Archived